What is the best way to remove a chameleon from an enclosure?

Jonah S

I have always had trouble getting Larry out of his home. It is rare that I take him out and I don't try very often, and he always lets me know though that he doesn't like my hand near him. Last time I took him out was to do some maintenance on his enclosure and he was hissing, throwing his head at me, and even went for a bite. Once he is out of his enclosure and on my hand he just chills out and is a bright green color. Getting him out of his home is an issue though. I understand their territorial nature and I don't think I would like intruders either. I'm hoping once he gets bigger and is an adult he chills out a bit and doesn't feel as intimidated.

I tried to use a chopstick earlier for him to perch on and he showed his colors and hissed at it. After a few bobs and hisses he shot his tongue at it so I let him be so he wouldn't stress too much. I'm sure there is a way to effectively remove him, I'm just not quite sure what it is.

Both my panthers are butt-heads, they're both really mean. Cerberus will get out if I trick him with a stick. I usually just bring it under him (and I let him bite it, he'll do it once and realize it's a stick, and he'll never do it again) and try to pull him up onto it and then take him out gently. But Cobalt is a lost cause, he goes into fits of panic and throws himself off the branches and flops around in fear. It's really horrible, as his "mom," to do that to him so I really don't ever take him out.

But try something like using a stick, or use a delicious insect snack to lure him out? Best of luck!

I've tried all methods, my little guy is MEAN!
The best way, is just to be confident, not hesitant, and swoop under his jaw, and lift up while going under,NOT over.
That way, he never hissed, never bit or anything!

Veileds tend to be mean in a cage. Once out of the cage they normally get nicer. I've always free ranged mine so they are teddy bears. I recommend trying to put a tree or large plant in front of the opened cage door and watch from a distance and they will probably come out on their own

Veileds tend to be mean in a cage. Once out of the cage they normally get nicer. I've always free ranged mine so they are teddy bears. I recommend trying to put a tree or large plant in front of the opened cage door and watch from a distance and they will probably come out on their own

Mistake in post.

Last edited:
My Panther was great, As soon as I opened his door he'd shuffle straight to the entrance--stand on the edge with his back feet---- and open up his 'hands' towards me until i gave him a hand to crawl onto.

I tried to introduce a stick once, for him to crawl onto --he didn't like it at all!

Just leave his door open and give him time. Its quite likely that he will eventually attempt to explore outside of his enclosure.

I agree with Jackscam. Open up the door and let him try to come out when he is ready. My panther will climb on the top of the open door and I let him sit there for a few minutes. then, I approach him and put my hand up to him. Most of the time he climbs right on. If he doesnt I slowly put my hand under his chin and kind of raise him up to climb on. Works like a charm everytime. I also take him to a nice new spot to sun out on my patio and I think he knows where he is going when I take him off the door so he is cool with it. My cham does not like being cornered in the cage. He is a completely different animal when he is outside of the cage.

my chameleon sounds a lot like yours, he doesnt like coming out of the cage, but once he is out he is fine. stick are out of the question for me, he gets so terrified by them he will go crazy. he doesnt like my hand intruding either, and will bite, but it is not as bad as the stick. i usually hand feed him a couple crickets or a silkworm, then pick up the plant / branch he is perched on. once he is out i reward him with more treats and after that he seems happier.

I had this problem with pedro.
When I first got him he would hiss and launch at me and run and flop around on the branches to just get away.
When I had to clean he cage I had to wear a glove ,God he HATED that glove LOL if he even sees it he still hisses at it, any ways I had to wear it because he WOULD bite me with no hesitation.
I hand fed him alot and it took a long longgg time for him to start to tolerate me.
Now hes really sweet and only gets disturbed if I move too fast for him.
You could try hand feeding to show him your hand isnt out to hurt him.
I also handle pedro alot to bring him back and forth to his really tall fake tree he likes to free range on for a couple hours a day
so he tolerates it because he knows hes going to go some where he enjoys.
Maybe you could get your cham a tree and try letting him free range in for a but some times.

I have left the door open numerous times and he doesn't really venture out. I will probably try getting a plant or small tree and place it in front of the door and see if that helps.

Lately, Larry has been coming up to the bag of crickets when I dump them on the leaves and he has been picking them off by almost sticking his head in the bag. He still shows some stress colors when he does this but they are slowly becoming less dramatic.

I have hand fed him crickets a few times but as of late he sees my hand, pauses, then runs away.

I have a nice patio on the second floor of my apartment building and I would like to have a nice little tree out there for him to hang on. I don't think birds would be a problem, the heat is a possible concern though. Tallahassee is brutally hot right and and there isn't much of a breeze. I would love to free range him but from what I have read their free range needs to be set up pretty specifically and I doubt I have the expertise or even the space to do it.

Dont leav him on the patio unattended. Birds will take baby chams in a second if given the chance. Even adult chams have been taken by birds from members on here. Best bet for outside time is to buy a small screen cage and put a plant and some sticks in it for him. Its hott here too but i put mine outside on my patio in the shade. They still get some beneficial uvb even in the shade and i mist them at least once an hr. while their outside.

Stanley has NEVER NOT wanted to come out of his cage... i have to be quick and careful when i close his cage door... he is always standing on his back two legs balanced by his tail and waving his front legs wanting to climb out onto my hand!!!!! he is such a sweetie!!!!!

oh, sorry, guess that's not really helping you!!! ;)

i have a female veiled that used to be the wildest thing i was terrified to try to take her out but with alot of paitents and many many many hand feedings i won her trust now i just hold a feeder in one hand and trick her onto my other hand...and dont worrie when they bite only hurt for a minute :>:rolleyes: goood luck

I was about to post this. Anyways, my female cham seems to go through this as well :(. Last time I got her out, I put a bunch of sticks and stuff in front of the door towards a tall wide box with sticks and stuff so I can clean her cage.

I'm trying to do the same now but there are about 4 crickets left and I really don't want them to escape. I'm going to go outside and try the same.

I've only seen her near a human once, and it was my cousin :(. She escaped and started roaming around the trees in front of my house and she let me grab her. Apparently they let you get near them when outside their cage.
Is there any way I can gain her trust? I hope with the bigger cage I just got (66 gal) she will feel safe and with more space and let me grab her.

Anyways, wish me luck!

EDIT:
It's dark out and I highly doubt she would come out at this time. I'll do it tomorrow, removing plant by plant first so tomorrow she would think her cage is boring and would be curious of the outside

Back
Top Bottom