What is bug

they kinda look like superworms.

where did you get them?

If they are superworms they area good treat for your chameleon, but they shouldnt be the only food source because they really dont offer that many nutrients. It is a great snack though, my veiled loves them :D

No it is not absolutely superworms.
I knew superworms.

I don't know its English name so that I cannot use the nutritional value chart

It is soft without hard skin. it is able to make silk. Some of them shows red and some of them shows white.

Super worms aren't really worms although everyone calls them that. They are the larvae of the darkening beetle. I am raising some right now. When you separate the larvae (super worm) into an individual cup and put in a dark place without food, they make a crysalis. This crysalis then grows the beetle after about 3-4 weeks. The beetles mate and lay eggs which hatch into teeny tiny "worms" or larvae. Mine have now increased in size to about an inch. I have read that they grow and shed their skin 6-8 times, almost doubling their size each time. When they get to be about 2" you can gut load them with potatoes, carrots and some leafy greens. I have experimented with them, but mine always prefer oatmeal or wheat germ the best.

I feed my chams 1 at each feeding. They love them and will always choose the super worm over a cricket. However, by giving them only 1 they are hungry enough to still eat their crickets.

Ah --- I think you are referring to silkies or silk worms. I don't use them so don't know anything about them.

Last edited:
hi BocaJan
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I used to select the superworm that had just shelled. it show white and very soft. I think it is better for chameleons.
The bug I asked comes from corn(maize), we call it corn worm. I don't know whether you call it like this too. It looks like phenix worm. right?

I looked up corn worm on google.com and it show a picture what you so they are corm worms like you said i dont think i would feed them to your chameleon because you never know if there toxic.

DNA, phoenix worms from what i have seen look nothing like that. and if they are coming from the vegitable corn. then im not sure. it'd help if we knew what they turned into from there crystalist *cacoon*

nope, they are butterworms. i have lots of those. my bearded dragon loves them. i belive they are super high in calcium=good for cham. they do produce silk. i wondered the same things. they also have a reddish hue like the ones i have.

They are not kingworms (aka superworms - larvae of the darkening beetle)
They are not butter worms (those do not naturally eat corn)
I think maybe they are European Corn Borer larva? (Ostrinia nubilalis)
Though named European, these moths and larva are also in North American.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Corn_Borer

Fully grown corn borer larvae (3/4 - 1 inch long, 2-2.5cm) are destructive, flesh-colored caterpillars with a reddish or dark brown head and several spots on the top of each abdominal ring or segment. The adult borer is a night-flying, yellowish-brown colored moth (1 inch wingspan) with dark wavy bands across its wings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom