What is a Holdback?

JCDenton

Yes, I know in general terms what they are, but why are chams usually held back? Is it because they are lagging behind their siblings and need to be rehabbed a bit, or is it usually the best ones that get held back?

From what I have learned, I believe a holdback is to let the chameleon get a bit older so the breeder can see what colors it develops. If the breeder likes how they turn out he/she may even use it as a breeder in the future.

It can be for different reasons. The ones I held back were the smallest in the clutch and the ones I was the most worried about and wanted to make sure they were nice and healthy before going to their new home.

A holdback as referred to by a breeder is a chameleon that exhibits exceptional size, color, or maybe something that is just unique or special, different than the other members of the same clutch. I usually hold back several from each clutch to allow them to grow and see what the color on them looks like, I can’t keep them all and thus the title a “holdback is for sale” is born.

It is doubtful that you will be reading about a "holdback" for sale that was the smallest of the clutch.

Not from me anyhoo...

Every clutch has smaller babies the answer to that is simple, grow them more before they are sold so they are healthy. Is that a "holdback"? No...

Any "Tea Cup" type chameleon I have ever hatched did not make it.

I use the term holdback to refer to one of the chameleons I kept longer just to see how it would turn out colour wise. Often these are the largest of the clutch and looked like they might be the most colourful. Since I am trying hard not to have a thousand chameleons, I eventually have to sell most of these holdbacks.

The former posts are completely right, but I have often seen pics of animals where I thought: "Holdback ? Haha. Just a trick to sell them better !"

When I use to breed I had hold backs for many reasons. Sometimes I held them back to see what they would look like when they got a few months older just in case I wanted to keep one. I often had hold backs when I was not able to sell them due to buyers backing out and so forth. If they were smaller or didn't seem as healthy as they rest I'd hold them back a few more months to make sure everything was good. For whatever reason they were held back for, when they were older, I sold them as hold backs, as long as they were in good health and ready to be sold. If someone ask me why it was held back I tried to be honest except for when they didn’t color up the way I thought they would I’d usually just say that I needed more room which most of the time was ture. I actually ended up keeping some of the runts and ones with medical problems because they ended up looked pretty good by 6 or 8 months old.

I actually ended up keeping some of the runts and ones with medical problems because they ended up looked pretty good by 6 or 8 months old.

IMO - that doesn't make them holdbacks that makes them runts that turned out good looking.

I think that is a little misleading. A hold back is an amimal of higher quality size or interesting feature held back with the hope it will be something special. If I am looking to buy a holdback I expect it to be of higher quality. Grow out would be a better term for holding the smaller ones. If I found out I paid for a holdback and it was a runt that turned out ok I would flip.

I use the term holdback to refer to one of the chameleons I kept longer just to see how it would turn out colour wise. Often these are the largest of the clutch and looked like they might be the most colourful. Since I am trying hard not to have a thousand chameleons, I eventually have to sell most of these holdbacks.

I agree with you Sandra.

As far as a market stratagy maybe if you are dishonest. I personally intend to keep my holdbacks but as Sandra said you can't keep them all.

It can be for different reasons. The ones I held back were the smallest in the clutch and the ones I was the most worried about and wanted to make sure they were nice and healthy before going to their new home.

It is doubtful that you will be reading about a "holdback" for sale that was the smallest of the clutch.

You see... here are two different ends of the spectrum... so it is wise to ask the breeder the purpose for the "holdback" rather than just assuming the holdback was an alpha, because it might have just been a runt.

Personally, I held back one of the two alphas of my veiled clutch.

I will say, the nice thing about a hold back is that it is more than likely mostly developed (an older cham).... meaning 'what you see is what you get', no "I wonder what this cham will grow up looking like". It is also a good bet you'll have the cham's sex determined.

If the cham was held back due to it's colors at a young age and larger size in comparison to it's clutchmates, your getting a 'better cham'. It is most likely a cham that would have survived in the wild and would go on to produce a strong healthy 'family'.

Back
Top Bottom