What happens if you bred different locals of panthers?

Crossbreeding is possible and done on occasion. Many people absolutely frown on it. Here is one I kept from one such project. He is a red body blue bar Ambilobe crossed with a true blue Nosy be.
20160731_154044.jpg

This isn't actually always true... my cross-bred male never flared when I put him in front of a mirror. Sadly I only have ever seen him flare 3-4 times in his entire life time (though I know this means he's pretty comfortable) it's a bit sad because I have never gotten a good picture of it. And he is absolutely polar opposite from his resting colors/hunting colors even when he flares up. He is so gorgeous like that. *shrugs* but I don't mind, means he was very happy ^^ now I don't think he can do it because he can't see and looking at something in a mirror when you can't see is not going to work XD. If he gains his sight back and he does it again I would love a picture though.

This is what we got from our ambanja/ambilobe crosses. People used to say cross locals don't grow up healthy but that has been pretty well disproved. Any problems were just that of poor husbandry by less ethical or educated breeders.
Brothers.jpg

Selling cross locals as pure is unethical and where people get into trouble.

Last edited:
I should cross breed again, there seems to be such a massive demand! And yes my crosses are just as healthy!
@Matt Vanilla Gorilla I'm glad to hear it. Tired of hearing that old fable.
We are doing a cross of our Nosy Valiha/Ambilobe lines. Really excited to see what we get. If they turn out well we may continue to produce some but are turning our focus to pure Nosy Valiha and Ambanja lines.

Crossbreeding is possible and done on occasion. Many people absolutely frown on it. Here is one I kept from one such project. He is a red body blue bar Ambilobe crossed with a true blue Nosy be.View attachment 177873
I have a few myself crosses. I don't know how I feel about it but if they're in the same location relatively I don't see any problem with it. I love the bars on him

Back
Top Bottom