What Else do i need?

garcraw4

I just got this cage and got it set up this afternoon. I'm not sure exactly what else i need though, so any help can be very good. I'm getting a baby Veiled on Wednesday so i'm trying to get everything set up well and get everything perfect for when he does come! The cage looks like it's falling in on the picture but i assure you, it's not.

What i have outside the cage:
5.0 uvb
100 watt basking light
little dripper
maybe a mist machine?
What is on the inside:
umbrella plant
moss
fake plant
vine
The cage itself is a mesh material

I made sure to give a little bit of space so he wouldn't burn himself on the basking light but got his vine closer to the uvb.
Any help what so ever is very useful and if i'm doing anything wrong, please let me know!!!

Garrett

Looks good-I would remove the moss-no need for it, and replace the 100 watt bulb for a 60 watt. Get a digital thermometer-the analogs do not measure basking spot temps. The other thing I would do is get something under that Reptarium-you will mist and/or drip alot of water and it will ruin the wood there.

yeah, it has a piece of wood under it with the eco carpet on top of it, it does blend in pretty good though! So if i take out the moss and change the light, it's good? the basking spot isn't very hot, i got the lamp lifted up with two pieces of wood so it's not laying directly on the screen. thank you though for helping out!!:)

Measure your basking spot and if it is around 80-82 degrees then you are ok with the 100 watt, as you said you have it raised up high enough. How old is your baby veiled going to be when you get him?

Well, I'm ordering him from LLL Reptile, which i've had good success with before so i thought i'd order again from them. They said they have them 1-3 months old and would send one near about 2.

The Repticarpet is going to get soaked, as will the wood and both will mold. I would order the plastic liner that goes with the Reptariums. It will save you alot of headaches!

i do have all of the calcium, what kind of fruit? I do feed my tortoises fruit sometimes as a "treat" so same general thing?

collard greens, mustard greens, kale, carrots, melon, tomatoes, peaches, apples, bananas, berries, use varity

Alright, I think i can make that work! The torts will usually eat Pumpkin, Watermelon, Peaches, really anything that doesn't move, including there own poop. By feeding the fruits, i'm assuming kind of put in a easy to reach place that is not hard to find.

I slice the fruit very thin and small and put it a cup that I have ziptied on one of their poles after a few time they see you head to the cup they go running for it. make sure the cup is not see through they will hurt themselves trying to eat through the cup.

alright that sounds good. So, feeding him crickets.. How should i do that? I don't want to just let them loose until i know how many he will eat and everything. My idea was to get a small critter cage and put some in there and watch him eat. I also am having a problem with keeping high humidity.. I have a mesh cage so i can't really do much with a fogger.

From what i have seen some people just let the crickets run the cage for them to catch and eat.But i have seen pwople use a small deep dish and put the crickets in and either sit on a angle up by him or hold it for them and they will eat the crickets out of the small container.As for a fogger.I don't know if a fogger will even work in a opne screen cage but i would also like to know about that one.

If you wrap your cage in a shower curtain on 3 sides it helps keep the humidity in so the fogger can be run less and it will stay longer.

Oh and the humidity only needs to be 50 to 60 %.Atleast that was what i was told in my other thread.
alright that sounds good. So, feeding him crickets.. How should i do that? I don't want to just let them loose until i know how many he will eat and everything. My idea was to get a small critter cage and put some in there and watch him eat. I also am having a problem with keeping high humidity.. I have a mesh cage so i can't really do much with a fogger.

I'm going to just get a small dish and see if he will eat like that for a bit. I also have meal worms from my box turtle that he can eat too. I don't think i'll be able to get a shower curtain around mine, it's kind of small. I'm going to keep playing with it and see if i can get up the humidity with what i got going on. I'm going to get a little pothos with water and see if that'll work too since i'm adding water and another plant. I'll keep you informed how that goes, it won't be until tomorrow though.

Back
Top Bottom