What does everyone keep their room temps at where your chameleon is?

xxaprilrose

Established Member
I am curious what everyone keeps the room temp at. The room my chameleon will be in only has a heater and I am in NY. I thought that since the room usually adjusts well to outdoor temps that this would be ok, but the next few weeks it's going to be mid 90's! This caused me to panic buy an ac for that room lol.... Right now I have it set to 75 for the room so this will allow night temps to drop like they should. Im wondering if I should have it a tad colder? Tomorrow I will be doing all the experimenting to see what fits best to make his enclosure the perfect temp all around but im curious what everyone else has theres set to.

edit to add that I will be getting a 3 month male panther chameleon on Wed. from framschams

I have veilds so a little different, I think warmer.
But as far as eat waves go. We have been hit repeatedly in OR 100f and 68%. That ain't right lol. But they seem to be able to handle the short bouts OK. They did not like it and were dark and lethargic. They are in garage so no AC, never needed it. Ambient went to 86 on some days. Other than dark and lethargic the still ate and drank normal. So for short periods I would not worry.
I keep my Veilds at 74 is optimal.

I am curious what everyone keeps the room temp at. The room my chameleon will be in only has a heater and I am in NY. I thought that since the room usually adjusts well to outdoor temps that this would be ok, but the next few weeks it's going to be mid 90's! This caused me to panic buy an ac for that room lol.... Right now I have it set to 75 for the room so this will allow night temps to drop like they should. Im wondering if I should have it a tad colder? Tomorrow I will be doing all the experimenting to see what fits best to make his enclosure the perfect temp all around but im curious what everyone else has theres set to.

edit to add that I will be getting a 3 month male panther chameleon on Wed. from framschams
Since you're getting a panther, I think the more relevant question would be what other panther keepers keep their enclosures at. Chameleons live in the microclimate of their enclosure—not in our environment. :)

https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

I also think this is looking at things backwards; IMO, choice of chameleon species should include consideration of what environment you can reasonably provide. This is what kept me from choosing a Jackson's, as I cannot provide the recommended nighttime temperature drop for that species.

1628607677718.png

Source: https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-99-what-chameleon-should-i-get/

That said, the room temp where my male panther lives is in the low 70s. During the day he has a basking lamp to raise enclosure temperatures into the mid-70s, and at night I have a mister set to go off at several intervals, which drops the enclosure temperature into the mid-60s and raises humidity to 75%.

To get a better idea of what extremes he may be able to tolerate on short-term basis,
google: average temperatures [locale] madagascar

You'll find both temperatures and humidity much easier to control with a hybrid enclosure.
If you have a screen enclosure, you can do a reasonable facsimile conversion using corrugated plastic on the sides & back, and window insulation shrink-wrap over the door, leaving the bottom panel and enclosure top open screened.

You might also have a chat with FramsChams about this.

Last edited:
My daytime room temp is set at 69, I have a hybrid cage and the ambient stays about 73. Nighttime room temp is set at 62 and the ambient cage temp sits about 65-66.

I would say 72-74 is a good ambient daytime lower temp. With basking sitting 80-82max for your baby.

Good for you getting the air conditioner lol. I had to buy one as well since we do not have central heat.

Back
Top Bottom