What does everyone do when you’re out of town?

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
Ill be getting my chameleon in a few weeks and I wanted to know what everyone does when they’re out of town. It’s something I figure I’ll need to plan. I know for sure I will be out of town for a long weekend on 4th of July.

I’m guessing this could vary depending on the age. But I figure when he’s older he won’t need people to come over for me being out of town for just one weekend, but when he’s younger I probably will, right?

My idea is to get a couple of containers and put the feeders, gutload, and the supplements in and have someone come over and just dump it into the cup. Would this work? Would the bugs possibly eat each other or something like that? It would most likely be bsfl, crickets, and superworms (along with other feeders maybe).

Chameleons are great pets if you have to leave often. Automatic mister and adults can easily go a week without food. A sitter is nice obviously, but not needed in most cases.

Chameleons are great pets if you have to leave often. Automatic mister and adults can easily go a week without food. A sitter is nice obviously, but not needed in most cases.
Yeah, humans can go a week without food too... But do you want to go a week without food? Just because they can doesn't mean it will be good for them.

Yeah, humans can go a week without food too... But do you want to go a week without food? Just because they can doesn't mean it will be good for them.

Reptile metabolism is so much different than a person's.... a week without food for a chameleon is nothing like it would be for a human. And yes, it could be good for them in certain circumstances. Some species, including the one I keep, can go half a year without food during the winter season. Could a human do that?

Reptile metabolism is so much different than a person's.... a week without food for a chameleon is nothing like it would be for a human. And yes, it could be good for them in certain circumstances. Some species, including the one I keep, can go half a year without food during the winter season. Could a human do that?
Thanks, i didn't know that. Are you talking about parson's chameleons?

Ive raised at least 3 chams that were once a week feeders (well really the entire crew got fed once a week). All got good marks from the vet, all got to see their 6th birthday. None were picky eaters :)

But in all seriousness, when i go on vacation, i just feed the crew the day before, and (to my disgruntlement) i have pre measured bags of crickets(the only time i ever buy crickets) in the big deli cups with dry food, a potato/carrot for water, and a wee bit of egg carton. Then i just tell the sitter to just sit on their hands and just "check" that all the timers are working and there isnt a lizard stuck somewhere, and half way through vacation take the lid off the deli cup and place it in the cage.

Reptiles—for the most part—are opportunity feeders. They very well may go for a week if no prey presents itself, and then gorge themselves when the opportunity arises.

I'm an opportunity feeder too; when an opportunity presents itself to eat, I do! (And I could probably stand to go without food for a week, but I'd get yelled at... :rolleyes:)

Reptiles—for the most part—are opportunity feeders. They very well may go for a week if no prey presents itself, and then gorge themselves when the opportunity arises.

I'm an opportunity feeder too; when an opportunity presents itself to eat, I do! (And I could probably stand to go without food for a week, but I'd get yelled at... :rolleyes:)

Just walk by the kitchen each day on the way to work. At least a few times a month there is a giant dinner just sitting there.

Back
Top Bottom