What do you wish you knew before setting up your chams cage?

ChameleonClem

Established Member
Im setting up a larger cage for my panther cham, what are some things you wish you knew or wish you did before you set them up?
Or just brag about your current setup (w pics of course) 😉
What are your fav plants? (other than pothos)

I wish I hadn’t put plugs/cords behind the enclosures and the mist heads at the back. It’s made it sooo difficult to get to those things when needed. I also regret the faux backgrounds which I made being so dark. I’m in the process of redoing my veileds girls‘ enclosures and am correcting those things.
Favorite plants other than pothos would be schefflera for being bushy and tradescantia zebrina for its pop of color and way of spreading out and prayer plant for just being beautiful.

I’ve redone my 5 month old Panther Chams XL Reptibreeze at least 6 times. I’m pretty happy with this set up but need to adjust the lighting arrangement on top. I’m thinking of adding additional misting valves. When my Cham is older I’ll plant the pothos in the bottom of the cage.

I went as natural as I could, I really didn’t want to use any fake vines or plants that I may have to replace. I have 4 Y-ish shaped branches, 2 in each back corner facing forward and connected (zip tied) with a bunch of cross branches. I have two very large potted golden pothos in the bottom that climb up all the branches and a smaller one in front. I put in an automatic misting system with two valves, one in a front corner and one in the opposite back corner. The additional would put a valve in all four corners. All of the wiring and misting system are on one side. The cage is on a stand that can easily be slid over if needed. I use a step ladder to fill the misting system water container and to cover the cage at night. The feeding dish is held by an S link through the top screen.

Attachments

• 4658C5A3-C19A-43DC-A6CF-33B4C5A2355E.jpeg
    4658C5A3-C19A-43DC-A6CF-33B4C5A2355E.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 43
I missed where you asked for other plants than pothos. Pothos were my last ditch effort. I’m using them because they’re great natural vines and the leaves hold water really well.

I started with a passion flower vine, hibiscus tree, vanda orchids because of their roots and a small palm in the back corner but my Cham had a hard time getting around the hibiscus and getting water off the passion flower. The vandas and palm were not used at all. I redid this set up twice, replacing the plants for fresh ones.

Next up was a third replacement passion flower vine, a golden dew drop and the small palm. I removed the Vandas from this set up. Same issues of not being able to get around and leaves not holding water well. I redid this set up twice.

At some point with those 4 set ups I tried to put a Monstera in there as well.

Then I tried a pothos and a hibiscus. The pothos did great, I had the same issues with the hibiscus as before.

Now it’s three pothos. Boring but functional. I’ve contemplated putting a Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum (common names: split-leaf philodendron), I’m just not sure how given the pothos set up or if it would be beneficial at all.

Attachments

• 4BD8091B-D67C-4C91-8922-0519465508D8.jpeg
    4BD8091B-D67C-4C91-8922-0519465508D8.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 72AE4727-D9F9-4A06-A31E-F2DA1D6DD7F8.jpeg
    72AE4727-D9F9-4A06-A31E-F2DA1D6DD7F8.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 34
  • D25C513E-7B29-4B44-B18E-CED25B8A7D9D.jpeg
    D25C513E-7B29-4B44-B18E-CED25B8A7D9D.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom