What do you use to clean cricket bin?

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’ve bought small bins or tubs to keep the 50 crickets and 50 Dubia I’m getting on Thursday. What do you use to clean the bins initially and when they need cleaning? from what I’ve read you shouldn’t use soap or things like that and I think that’s what killed my last bunch. Where is an economical place to get egg crates?

I use either Zoo Med's Wipeout or the F10 line of products. If there's poop stuck or something, I use a paint scraper to get the majority of it out first. I buy my egg crates in bulk from whichever reputable feeder store has the cheapest

Try the original blue dawn. Not the ultra or the other ones. They should all be safe and pet friendly. But i have noticed that some of the newer ones have lots of perfumes in them. I personnaly use the original blue one. Because they used that one when the oil spill happened some years back on the wildlife. Ducks, gals, all the wildlife that was affected by the spill. That's why I chose the original. Eco Friendly Cleaning, Expert cleaners at Classic Cleaners confirm that original blue dawn can be used for many things, not just the dishes, because of it's grease dissolving properties. It's also non-toxic, not harmful to your skin, it's biodegradable and it contains no phosphates

I clean the bin before putting the crickets in (I also unbox them in a separate bin so no poop or dead crickets go into their bin. here's the link: ). I spot clean daily and deep clean between batches and if it ever gets too dirty

Or you can always use white vinegar.Its real safe and kills gearms and bacteria and believe it or not odors too. Just rinse it well and let it air out real good. After a few hours the smell should disappear.

Hmm. That's what I use on everything. That or white vinegar. It does have to be rinsed thoroughly and air out thoroughly. That's very important. If you dont feel safe using that. I'd go with what @ERKleRose said

I have always used scalding hot water and dawn soap on all of my feeder bins. Rinsing really well after and then air drying. Make sure your buying banded crickets others die off really easy.

I use either Zoo Med's Wipeout or the F10 line of products. If there's poop stuck or something, I use a paint scraper to get the majority of it out first. I buy my egg crates in bulk from whichever reputable feeder store has the cheapest
Ditto on the F10. The best stuff but hard to find. Works well on the silk enclosures also

Ok thanks everyone! Maybe I got the wrong kind of crickets before because they died off really fast. The ones I’m getting Thursday are from rainbow mealworms and the pictures they have on the site look like banded crickets I think. Now I’m just having major problems cutting windows in the bins I bought. I watched several videos on how to do it but they require tools I don’t have. So far I have a very crooked half cut half split in the lid of the first bin and that’s as far as I’ve gotten.

Ya gather tinder from the deepest part of ze woods all kinds of tinder thin dry stuff big logs and medium twigs then u get a fire going with the ol bow method and u go mine ore and melt it and shape it and quench it a blacksmith it into a knife then u make plastic with derivative of gas and make a tote then with ur fire u heat the knife up and cut voila jk 🤣 hahaha

Back
Top Bottom