What do you think he/she is ?

I’m gonna do my take here which won’t necessarily be true and many people that commented already know a lot more about chameleons than I do.
I’m having a similar problem, my panther is about 8.5 months old now and hasn’t done much growing (like @Ares05 mentioned) and I stressed out like crazy about it. Evaluating my husbandry, asking a lot of questions on the forum, thinking what could be the problem etc. After making sure my husbandry is like it should be I did a fecal test like suggested and small oxyurid eggs were found, but no full grown parasites which shouldn’t (?) generally lead to a stunted growth since developed parasites take away all the nutrients from your chameleon and the eggs are on their own, yes they need a host to develop in, but from my understanding they aren’t harmful YET. I might be wrong of course.Having found out about this I decided to start giving him panacur (another sad thing, panacur is banned and considered illegal in Croatia so you can only imagine how many phone calls had to be made to find a vet who would be willing to sell it to me illegally). The dose recommended to me was 3 days straight 40mg/kg. And I just finished with that two days ago. Going to do another fecal to see how the situation is developing and if the eggs are gone and if he’s 100% parasite free. While you really should do a fecal exam because from my experience once you start seeing symptoms of an illness in animals, it progressed A LOT already and your cham looks healthy, just like my boy Greg looked perfectly fine, but the oxyurid eggs were inside him (hopefully gone now). Early detection is the key. If he’s parasite free maybe he’s a runt, maybe he’ll have a huuuge growth spurt, maybe he won’t. Same goes for my chameleon. Of course we want them to grow up because it indicates that we’re doing everything perfectly, but if he’s healthy, give him time. Make sure his stress levels are the lowest they can be. Feeding times for my chameleon haven’t lasted less than 1 hour since I got him lol. His eating methods are very specific, but I signed up for being his caretaker and I’ll do whatever to live up to that as should everyone. Being a first time chameleon owner after having bought a chameleon from a guy who is known to sell animals with parasites (I just found out about that like 2 weeks ago). I did it since he’s one out of two possible option to buy a chameleon from in Croatia. The guy really is an a**hole. It has mostly been stressful for me to take care for him because of all the possible problems just piling up, but I’m glad that I’m taking care of him since I doubt many people in a country with 1 exotic vet would actually bother to do everything possible to help their chameleon. I know it’s hard for all of you from USA to understand my situation because there are lots of vets there and all the possible supplies, but it’s hell here if you have an exotic pet and want him to live his best life. Okay, I’ve gotten a bit off topic haha, but to conclude, maybe he’s just meant to be a smaller dude. That’s it from me. And @Lmlaxo do a fecal exam!

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of your viv please (chams cage) it is missing something...I think it's female, even then my 4 month old female is double the size

Attachments

• A49E2E2F-BEDA-436C-999D-83ACC880281E.jpeg
    A49E2E2F-BEDA-436C-999D-83ACC880281E.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 118
There is a lot wrong with your cage. It needs to be much bigger, a 24x24x48 cage if male, and 18x18x36 if a female, and your lighting is insufficient. Buy a t5ho light immediately. This causes serious problems not having them. I already edited and your husbandry on the health form, so follow the instructions given on the edited document. Otherwise, your chameleon will develop MBD and may not survive due to incorrect husbandry.

There is a lot wrong with your cage. It needs to be much bigger, a 24x24x48 cage if male, and 18x18x36 if a female.

The cage is fine, for the size that cham is, a full grown normal sized Panther needs a 24xXx36+ that thing, if its growth is stunted as we think, and it stays that size, will be just fine in that cage its entire life.

Needs branches, needs live plants, the fact he has sand in the bottom is concerning, what exactly do you think a chameleon is OP? A Desert Lizard? Its not a bearded Dragon, Chameleons are aboreal Rainforest lizards, not desert lizards.

The cage is fine, for the size that cham is, a full grown normal sized Panther needs a 24xXx36+ that thing, if its growth is stunted as we think, and it stays that size, will be just fine in that cage its entire life.

Needs branches, needs live plants, the fact he has sand in the bottom is concerning, what exactly do you think a chameleon is OP? A Desert Lizard? Its not a bearded Dragon, Chameleons are aboreal Rainforest lizards, not desert lizards.
It is not sand, its those carpets for humidity but instead of green its beige

Back
Top Bottom