What do you do when you clean out your chameleon's cage?

shade34321

So I need to clean out my chameleon's cage and the last few times I've just let her roam around on somebody. Unfortuantely it doesn't seem like she likes it very much so I was thinking about getting some sort of tree plant for her to climb while I clean it out. I was thinking about Ficus benjamina since I could also keep it near a window since her enclosure isn't near a window. What do you guys do? Also I was thinking about putting Epipremnum aureum and Schefflera arboricola in her aquarium. She's a veiled so I a bit worried about how much she'll eat. Will she do alright with those three? Thanks!

Schefflera are safe to eat so it doesn't matter if she eats it. I would suggest for you to get her something that she can be on when you are cleaning her cage. I have a free range made out of a bird playpen covered in exoterra vines that I put mine on. Ryker loves it and basks in the sun while I clean his cage right below him. I think a plant is a good idea as long as the pot is big enough that she can't get down from it. And I totally support having live plants in a cage, i think it makes them much happier ^^ just make sure she can't get to the soil, put stones on it that are too big for her to eat.

We've tried just letting my panther sit on his plant while we clean his cage, but he gets too curious. He climbs down and tries to find something else to climb. We bought one of those vine/branches from petsmart and hang it in a U shape from a curtain rod. I feel much better knowing he can't go anywhere...if you decide to give it a try, just make sure she doesn't climb on the curtain rod. Mine tried it once and I was there spotting him because I knew he was going to fall since it's so slippery. He hasn't tried going up there since.

Remove animal, place on nearest, cleanest, safest, climable surface. (shoulder/hat)

Remove largest plant from enclosure.

Place animal on said plant.

Remove everything from cage.

Wipe out general debris.

Check that the animal is still in appropriate area.

Take cage outside.

Spray entirely with a diluted bleach solution. (3-5 parts water/1 part bleach)

Wait 10-15 min. and respray.

Scrub cage frame, and mesh.

Rinse thoroughly with garden hose.

Allow to air dry during next steps. (along with a thorough rinsing, the cage needs to air dry in the open for as long as possible, so that all of the bleach solution is evaporated)

Check plants, add/re-cover soil, prune, re-pot, replace, ect.

Check your all natural, free branches that you have harvested from the outside world, that you placed in the cage last time. Replace if they are rotting, falling apart, or if you dont like them.

Put everything back together. (you may need to transfer the animal back to your shoulder/hat during this process)

Place the animal in its fresh house.

Give it a long misting in its fresh house.

Have tea.

Ok, so I'll get her an umbrella tree. I would let her free roam but my cat thinks he's a hunter :mad: He tries to get at her cricets when I feed her. Also I wanted something so she can be outside with me if I'm sitting outside. Thanks for all the advice!

Lock the cat in a closet.

Birds will attack chameleons outside in the open, so take care. I dont recommend leaving a chameleon outside, without being no more than a few feet away at all times, and even that has proven risky for some.

Definitely make sure you don't turn your back on them when they are outside and not in a cage. They are so sneaky and VERY quick when they see an escape route. Lots of chams are lost because we sometimes underestimate how fast they are. :)

cleaning

Bodhi would hang out in the window or on my back. Ranger likes to hang out in the tree out side and get washed with it.

Remove animal, place on nearest, cleanest, safest, climable surface. (shoulder/hat)

Remove largest plant from enclosure.

Place animal on said plant.

Remove everything from cage.

Wipe out general debris.

Take cage outside.

Spray entirely with a diluted bleach solution. (3-5 parts water/1 part bleach)

Wait 10-15 min. and respray.

Scrub cage frame, and mesh.

Rinse thoroughly with garden hose.

Allow to air dry during next steps. (along with a thorough rinsing, the cage needs to air dry in the open for as long as possible, so that all of the bleach solution is evaporated)

Check plants, add/re-cover soil, prune, re-pot, replace, ect.

Check your all natural, free branches that you have harvested from the outside world, that you placed in the cage last time. Replace if they are rotting, falling apart, or if you dont like them.

Put everything back together. (you may need to transfer the animal back to your shoulder/hat during this process)

Place the animal in its fresh house.

Give it a long misting in its fresh house.

Have tea.

Perfect...except I'll have wine!! :D

Ok, so I'll get her an umbrella tree. I would let her free roam but my cat thinks he's a hunter :mad: He tries to get at her cricets when I feed her. Also I wanted something so she can be outside with me if I'm sitting outside. Thanks for all the advice!

Your cat is a natural born hunter.
It's just part of who they are and how they survive.
I'll second the suggestion of locking your cat in another room while you clean your cham's cage.
Best to not have to deal with this:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-cat-ate-my-chameleon-87231/

For the outdoors, a second enclosure is definitely a must (you could even use it indoors while you clean his regular cage) Many birds do eat chams and chams can wander away rather easily--and more quickly than most of us could imagine...

Just read this one today:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/cham-first-aid-advice-needed-no-time-108855/

and posts like this become more common when the weather warms up:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/cham-lost-outside-ny-84610/

Back
Top Bottom