What did I do wrong? I'm so heartbroken.

Nightshaded

Greetings everyone.
I've been lurking on this site for awhile and this is my first post. Admittedly, this is a horrible way to say start off and introduce myself to the community.
I could use some advice, insight, or feedback as I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong and I'm hurting.
Today my one month old ambilobe panther chamelon "Zeus" passed away unexpectedly. For the last week he's been occasionally basking with his eyes closed, which looking back was a red flag. I was concerned so I immediately contacted the breeder I purchased him from online. They said that this is normal behavior for hatchlings, not to panic, and to keep an eye on his humidity levels. I kept an eye on him just in case and it appeared that he was doing fine otherwise. I thought he was in good health because I brought him to a reptile vet a couple weeks ago and they said he was perfectly healthy. His poop was also analyzed and no issues were found.

Yesterday he didn't seem himself. He seemed lethargic and uninterested in food. Normally he will lose his mind over wingless fruit flies, which I dust in calcium (without D3) and feed him using a cup. This time he looked at them and closed his eyes. I figured that he might've been a little bit stressed because my roomba accidentally bumped into his enclosure. Later in the evening, he sniped two extra small phoenix worms.

This morning his lights turned on and I walked over to check on him. His nose was up in the air and he was gasping to breathe. He was also extremely weak and lethargic. I immediately drove an hour for an emergency appointment at the vet. They confirmed he had a respiratory infection with a 50/50 chance of surviving. They gave him a shot of antibiotics under his armpit and made an appointment for me to come in the following day for a second shot. They said he was too tiny and fragile for oral antibiotics. I brought him home and put him on a leaf. He climbed on it and I observed him for an hour. It wasn't looking good. By this point I was exhausted from being up all night, so I took a quick nap. When I came back a couple hours later, he had passed away. :(

Needless to say, I'm devastated because I loved the little guy and he was my first Chameleon.
I feel like I failed him. It's killing me because I tried to do everything right, make him happy, and take good care of him.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther. I received him as a hatchling on June 28th.
  • Handling - Only when I move him outside to clean his enclosure (once a week)
  • Feeding - Pinhead crickets, extra small pheonix worms, and lots of wingless fruit flies. Every day.
  • Supplements - I dusted the wingless fruit-flies and crickets with Fluker's calcium (without D3). The crickets are also gut-loaded with Fluker's vitamin and diet feed and a calcium block. I gave him D3 twice last month.
  • Watering - Dripper on top plus an exo-terra monsoon solo automatic mister. I would also hand mist as needed. He always drank water in front of me off of leaves. He was always well hydrated.
  • Fecal Description - They looked perfect. The urea was always white and normal in appearance.
  • History - None.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze Med. 24" x 24" x 48". I also purchased an XL dragon stand, but was saving it for when he got a little bit bigger. His enclosure was always very clean and well maintained.
  • Lighting - Basking bulb: 100W. This was the only bulb that could get his basking temperature at 85 degrees. UVB: T5 HO 5.0
  • Temperature - 85 for basking. Top of the cage was always around 75-80. Lower was 70. Temperatures dropped to 68 at night.
  • Humidity - Between 40-65% depending on how often I misted
  • Plants - One golden pothos in the middle as his main plant to drink off of and keep the humidity up. I also added two bromeliads in the front because they looked cool and I wanted to fill in his cage. Two sundews on the floor capture escaped fruit flies. He absolutely never went near the floor, ever. I washed each plant with soap and water and used organic soil before introducing them.
  • Placement - In the corner by my kitchen table, which I never use. I guess this would also be considered my living room. I walk past his enclosure whenever I go into my bedroom. I added cardboard around his enclosure at night to prevent any lights from bothering or waking him up.
  • Location - Michigan

Current Problem I don't know what caused his respiratory infection. I need to know what I did wrong. I want to purchase another chameleon eventually, but I feel like a failure and I don't want this to happen again, ever. Right now I feel unworthy to own such a beautiful creature. I did so much research before getting him and continued to read these forums for information. Here's some pictures of the enclosure. Anything from this community would be appreciated. If I did purchase another one, would getting a juvenile be better?

RIP Zues, my little buddy. You will be missed. I really did love you.

Attachments

• 20200805_215121.jpg
    20200805_215121.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 20200805_215140.jpg
    20200805_215140.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 174
  • 20200805_215142.jpg
    20200805_215142.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 179
I’m so sorry that you lost Zeus. Although I’m not experienced with baby panthers, the only thing jumping out at me in your husbandry is basking temp is a bit high. However, it is not normal for any chameleon to have it’s eyes closed while basking or at any time during day time. It is also not responsible to sell such a young chameleon. Chameleons should be at least 3-4 months old before going to a new home. In my opinion, the breeder holds the responsibility for Zeus’ passing thru giving you bad info and selling such a young baby. If you do try again, find a different and more responsible breeder.

I didn't realize that they should be 3-4 months old when he arrived. When I originally brought him to the vet, they said he must've been a couple days old because he didn't register anything on their scale. He was about half the size of my thumb, maybe even less. I did have some other sketchy issues with this online breeder and I'm starting to second guess them.

I don't know how to edit my original post, but I forgot to mention that my automatic mister went off every hour from 7AM to 7PM for 30 seconds. I would also hand mist whenever I saw the humidity dip to the lower 40's during the day. I'm starting to believe that I killed him by creating too much humidity.

For vitamins. I gut loaded his crickets with what the vet gave me, along with the Fluker's cubes. (picture related)

Attachments

• 20200806_014642.jpg
    20200806_014642.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 133
I’m so sorry that you lost Zeus. Although I’m not experienced with baby panthers, the only thing jumping out at me in your husbandry is basking temp is a bit high. However, it is not normal for any chameleon to have it’s eyes closed while basking or at any time during day time. It is also not responsible to sell such a young chameleon. Chameleons should be at least 3-4 months old before going to a new home. In my opinion, the breeder holds the responsibility for Zeus’ passing thru giving you bad info and selling such a young baby. If you do try again, find a different and more responsible breeder.
I’m not an expert on respiratory infections, but it could be possible he was kept in a glass enclosure that caused it before he was sold to you... just a possibility.

I didn't realize that they should be 3-4 months old when he arrived. When I originally brought him to the vet, they said he must've been a couple days old because he didn't register anything on their scale. He was about half the size of my thumb, maybe even less. I did have some other sketchy issues with this online breeder and I'm starting to second guess them.

I don't know how to edit my original post, but I forgot to mention that my automatic mister went off every hour from 7AM to 7PM for 30 seconds. I would also hand mist whenever I saw the humidity dip to the lower 40's during the day. I'm starting to believe that I killed him by creating too much humidity.

I also didn't use vitamins. I gut loaded his crickets with what the vet gave me, along with the Fluker's cubes. (picture related)
Where did you buy from?

For vitamins. I gut loaded his crickets with what the vet gave me, along with the Fluker's cubes. (picture related)
That is too frequent for misting. Is better to give 3-4 mistings of at least 2 minutes daily.
I know nothing about using the critical care for gutloading, but the orange cubes are a mistake many of us have made. Best gutload is to use fresh organic vegetables and greens. I also add to my gutload some bug burger that I’ve added bee pollen and spirulina to.
I can’t weigh in on whether excess humidity killed Zeus, but again, you shouldn’t have been sold such a young chameleon. That young just is too fragile and less able to survive even the smallest errors in husbandry.

I’m not an expert on respiratory infections, but it could be possible he was kept in a glass enclosure that caused it before he was sold to you... just a possibility.
I found this on their website...it looks like they do use glass enclosures for babies. I hope I'm not breaking any rules, but it was CBreptile.com

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 134
I didnt know people raised babies without glass/plastic sided enclosures... I thought everyone was raised in a tank or tub.

Still i never heard of a breeder selling a 1 month old. Most of the time you need to have a close relationship to get even a 3 month old, and on more than one occasion ive had breeders not ship 5 month olds " it was a cool season and they are not at weight, either drive down or wait".

Im guessing its nothing you did. For all you know it was a malformed lung etc. Many of times these birth defects dont show up right away, because they are functional enough for the little body, but once they grow to a certain point they can not handle it. I had one with a cyst that the doc said may be from birth, he was 6 months old. We have had several storys of malformed hearts that make it till the teen years when they really start growing.

About the only thing i could see was the fact you had a basking light, which most do not recommend for babies. Even one that is not hot enough to burn, can still over heat a baby in a few days. Your day temp could have been 72f has a high, and nights in the 50's, and you still would not need a heat lamp. I think i recommend a heat lamp if it gets the air pocket to 75f.

Greetings everyone.
I've been lurking on this site for awhile and this is my first post. Admittedly, this is a horrible way to say start off and introduce myself to the community.
I could use some advice, insight, or feedback as I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong and I'm hurting.
Today my one month old ambilobe panther chamelon "Zeus" passed away unexpectedly. For the last week he's been occasionally basking with his eyes closed, which looking back was a red flag. I was concerned so I immediately contacted the breeder I purchased him from online. They said that this is normal behavior for hatchlings, not to panic, and to keep an eye on his humidity levels. I kept an eye on him just in case and it appeared that he was doing fine otherwise. I thought he was in good health because I brought him to a reptile vet a couple weeks ago and they said he was perfectly healthy. His poop was also analyzed and no issues were found.

Yesterday he didn't seem himself. He seemed lethargic and uninterested in food. Normally he will lose his mind over wingless fruit flies, which I dust in calcium (without D3) and feed him using a cup. This time he looked at them and closed his eyes. I figured that he might've been a little bit stressed because my roomba accidentally bumped into his enclosure. Later in the evening, he sniped two extra small phoenix worms.

This morning his lights turned on and I walked over to check on him. His nose was up in the air and he was gasping to breathe. He was also extremely weak and lethargic. I immediately drove an hour for an emergency appointment at the vet. They confirmed he had a respiratory infection with a 50/50 chance of surviving. They gave him a shot of antibiotics under his armpit and made an appointment for me to come in the following day for a second shot. They said he was too tiny and fragile for oral antibiotics. I brought him home and put him on a leaf. He climbed on it and I observed him for an hour. It wasn't looking good. By this point I was exhausted from being up all night, so I took a quick nap. When I came back a couple hours later, he had passed away. :(

Needless to say, I'm devastated because I loved the little guy and he was my first Chameleon.
I feel like I failed him. It's killing me because I tried to do everything right, make him happy, and take good care of him.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther. I received him as a hatchling on June 28th.
  • Handling - Only when I move him outside to clean his enclosure (once a week)
  • Feeding - Pinhead crickets, extra small pheonix worms, and lots of wingless fruit flies. Every day.
  • Supplements - I dusted the wingless fruit-flies and crickets with Fluker's calcium (without D3). The crickets are also gut-loaded with Fluker's vitamin and diet feed and a calcium block. I gave him D3 twice last month.
  • Watering - Dripper on top plus an exo-terra monsoon solo automatic mister. I would also hand mist as needed. He always drank water in front of me off of leaves. He was always well hydrated.
  • Fecal Description - They looked perfect. The urea was always white and normal in appearance.
  • History - None.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze Med. 24" x 24" x 48". I also purchased an XL dragon stand, but was saving it for when he got a little bit bigger. His enclosure was always very clean and well maintained.
  • Lighting - Basking bulb: 100W. This was the only bulb that could get his basking temperature at 85 degrees. UVB: T5 HO 5.0
  • Temperature - 85 for basking. Top of the cage was always around 75-80. Lower was 70. Temperatures dropped to 68 at night.
  • Humidity - Between 40-65% depending on how often I misted
  • Plants - One golden pothos in the middle as his main plant to drink off of and keep the humidity up. I also added two bromeliads in the front because they looked cool and I wanted to fill in his cage. Two sundews on the floor capture escaped fruit flies. He absolutely never went near the floor, ever. I washed each plant with soap and water and used organic soil before introducing them.
  • Placement - In the corner by my kitchen table, which I never use. I guess this would also be considered my living room. I walk past his enclosure whenever I go into my bedroom. I added cardboard around his enclosure at night to prevent any lights from bothering or waking him up.
  • Location - Michigan

Current Problem I don't know what caused his respiratory infection. I need to know what I did wrong. I want to purchase another chameleon eventually, but I feel like a failure and I don't want this to happen again, ever. Right now I feel unworthy to own such a beautiful creature. I did so much research before getting him and continued to read these forums for information. Here's some pictures of the enclosure. Anything from this community would be appreciated. If I did purchase another one, would getting a juvenile be better?

RIP Zues, my little buddy. You will be missed. I really did love you.
Hi there welcome to the forum and I am sorry for your loss. The only thing standing out husbandry wise is the temp was too hot for a baby that young. A lot of breeders will not even add heat lamps until they are closer to 3 months old and at that point they keep them no hotter then 80 at basking. And the mistings were too frequent.

However it does not mean the death is related to one of these factors. Babies should NEVER be sold this young. It is completely wrong. from hatchling to 3 months is the high risk time. They can die for no apparent reason.

For not having help with set up you did well lurking and reading. ;)

I love this husbandry program. It will give you tons of info that is accurate https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
And here is their care info for a panther. https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

When you are ready to try again. I would go with a reputable breeder. Kammerflage is really good and is one of our site sponsors. They have beautiful healthy babies. :)

Sorry for your loss.
Hatchlings should not be sold under 3 or 4 months of age. There can be a natural die off under that age.
There is nothing wrong with using glass cages for hatchlings either (under most circumstances). I've done it for many years.
Keep your memories of the tiny baby in your heart.

I just wanted to thank everyone again who replied with feedback, condolences, and constructive criticism. You guys are all amazing and the reason why I joined this forum.

I'm a grown man in my 30's and I have to admit that when Zeus passed away, I got super emotional. He was my little friend. I never expected to get so attached to him (and so fast). The first time he ate a phoenix worm from my hand it brought me so much joy. I would sit in front of his cage for hours and observe him just doing his thing. My favorite was watching him hunt, which cracked me up and was super interesting to watch. You knew it was hunting time when his little tail would stick straight out and he changed into tiger stripes. It surprised me just how quick he actually was. I miss seeing him sleeping like a baby on his branch as well. He was just so darn cute and lovable. I can't imagine the pain of losing one after years of ownership. Just seeing the empty spot where his enclosure was makes me sad.

Just to show you guys how small he was when he arrived, here's a couple pictures (sorry for the poor quality, my mother-in-law doesn't know how to take pictures). I know handling them this young is extremely frowned upon and that he was super stressed from the move and being held. I had no control over this. Unfortunately, I had to have an emergency surgery and was hospitalized the day he arrived. My MIL was kind enough to sign for him, set everything up, and send me a couple pictures.

I went ahead and purchased another ambilobe panther, a juvenile this time. I just assembled his Dragon Stand (which is amazing btw and super high quality compared to the Reptibreeze) and will even be installing a battery-powered wifi camera in his enclosure, so I can be vigilant to any warning signs while I'm away from home. I know this is prob overkill, but I don't care. I refuse to let this happen again.

One last question, I have an exo-terra monsoon solo automatic mister with one spray nozzle. Should I also get a fogger for nighttime?

Thank you all again, you'll be seeing me on here :)

Attachments

• 20200807_213510.jpg
    20200807_213510.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom