what could this be? Hummm

Dawniegirl

This is all over the bottom of Diego's cage. I'm not sure if when I normally wipe down the bottom of his cage, after mister is done for the night, that I may have missed it before. I have no Idea what it could be. Pretty sure it isn't dusting power but maybe. They are like little oval shaped balls, very tiny in size maybe the size of a sesame seed or a tad smaller & the same shape too. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG02192-20110113-0104.jpg
    IMG02192-20110113-0104.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 136
looks like little gold pieces lol weird

Lol... Yeah it does. I took the picture at night & that was caused from the flash. I wish it was gold specks ;). I hoping they aren't some kind of eggs or something weird from the ficus plant in there maybe. I'm clueless!

When I got 2 ficus plants (organic grow, pesticide free) one of them had these tiny weird bugs in the plant that were coming out from the pot of the plant. That is NOT the one I put in his cage. I removed that one from it's existing and shook it off outside (so hoping they weren't termites) then the plant was washed off in the shower. After it dried I took it out & didn't see anymore. So I repotted that one in larger pot & added some organic top soil around it & too the top. I did the same thing w/ the one I put in Diego's cage but didn't see any of these bugs on that one at the time or haven't since. Maybe I should take that plant out & give it a good look over. Could they possible be termite eggs or some other kind of plant bug eggs?

Okay... I just found what I believe to be spider mites on the ficus (needed a magnifying glass to really see them) . Any suggestions and can they get on Diego and hurt him? He's sleeping now so tomorrow I'm going to spray down his cage and both ficus plant. Gonna wash the figus and stuff w/ soapy water!

Those things in the pictures are not spider mites!!!

As long as you just use soapy water and rinse, rinse, rinse that should be fine. I would be very wary of using any sort of "bug spray" on something that I let near my chameleon.

The standard I live by is that chameleons are the animals canaries keep on their shoulders in the coal mines. Meaning: very, very sensitive.

I don't know anything about spider mites that you didn't just tell me, but a vet visit or consultation might be in order.

Those things in the pictures are not spider mites!!!

As long as you just use soapy water and rinse, rinse, rinse that should be fine. I would be very wary of using any sort of "bug spray" on something that I let near my chameleon.

The standard I live by is that chameleons are the animals canaries keep on their shoulders in the coal mines. Meaning: very, very sensitive.

I don't know anything about spider mites that you didn't just tell me, but a vet visit or consultation might be in order.

Yeah I know the stuff in the picture isn't a mite but it made me really check out the ficus. I think that stuff "might" have dropped from the plant. I had to check out the ficus not in his cage because he's sleeping for the night but the plants came together so I'm sure that one has some too. It was very hard to spot one and I found it at the base of a new bud. I then used a mag glass and yes indeed some kind of mite... I think it may be a white spider mite. I hope someone can tell me for sure if they can get on Diego or not. I sure hope not. I think I could spot one if I really looked him over... tomorrow lots of cleaning and inspecting.

I think poss that those things on cage bottom might be from plant but I believe the mite I found on bud base to be... MEALY BUGS! I did a search on this forum and then google, also folled link and bingo! I'm 99 percent sure, it looked just like picture! NOW WHAT TO DO OR NOT DO ABOUT IT. Forum post stated they are NOT harmful to cham. Any opions?!?! TIA.

Back
Top Bottom