what could cause my veiled to be rubbing his eye on a vine?

Chameleons rub their eyes frequently throughout their lives. The reason is that they do not have the flexibility or opposing thumbs we do to properly remove debris from their eyes. ;)

I wouldn't worry about it unless you see it often and you know that you're misting enough for the chameleon to be able to drink. I say the drinking part because chameleons will use the water they drink to swish debris out of their eyes- some magical mechanism we know to be true but aren't quite sure exactly how it works on a physiological level.

I hope this helps calm your nerves a bit!

If you find the chameleon is closing that eye or you see any tearing or discharge from that eye, you may need to aid with a saline flush. Feel free to PM me for more info on that!

Last edited:
Chameleons rub their eyes frequently throughout their lives. The reason is that they do not have the flexibility or opposing thumbs we do to properly remove debris from their eyes. ;)

I wouldn't worry about it unless you see it often and you know that you're misting enough for the chameleon to be able to drink. I say the drinking part because chameleons will use the water they drink to swish debris out of their eyes- some magical mechanism we know to be true but aren't quite sure exactly how it works on a physiological level.

I hope this helps calm your nerves a bit!

If you find the chameleon is closing that eye or you see any tearing or discharge from that eye, you may need to aid with a saline flush. Feel free to PM me for more info on that!

helped a lot! thanks!

I've seen Jake do this once, he was shedding. Could be that, or what the first poster commented :)

I have noticed when our cham sheds, he gets pretty wrinkly and sits in his basking spot for a longer period of time. Then starts to rub all over his vines/leaves/branches once the layer of skin becomes more loose.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom