What chameleons are best to start breeding?

He stated, could he use the cage temporarily while setting up another cage, just so his dad would be happy he used it for a few weeks. If he already had the other cage. That would be fine, I also doubt it's 12x12x20. The only 2 I can think of that size would be the small reptibreeze which is 16x16x20, or the Zilla Atrium which is 18x12x20. Though maybe it's a custom or some oddball.
Anyways....... I am just saying they are younger... So if your going to suggest they use it make sure that you are saying it should be a limited use and not used for an older cham is all. This hobby is confusing enough when someone is new and when we are not clear on our recommendations is when the cham and the keepers pay the price.

If you don't have experience, then this should be the furthest thought away from your mind with regards to chameleons. Without first demonstrating proficiency with long term chameleon care (I would argue keeping more than one chameleon for its entire lifespan), then this would just be highly irresponsible and selfish. Especially if you have to lie to your parents to achieve your goal. If you are living with your parents and require their permission, then I can only assume you are young and do not have the funds to even attempt such a project. With your experience, most of the babies would end up dying (which assumes you can even keep the adults alive long enough to breed).

Also: no good breeder or even chameleon enthusiast should have to ask for recommendations on what's the easiest thing to do. It is clear that you do not have the interest to do your own research. And that lack of accountability is no way to get into the chameleon keeping (let alone breeding) world.
I agree. You need to master having a chameleon first and knowing the dos and don't before even thinking about breeding. If you are in it for the money only, then don't do it. I agree with whomever said, pick a "spider" instead of one of the precious reptiles. They require FULL ATTENTION

Ok but NONE of the information you are sharing about breeders and keepers who have rooms full of reptiles has anything to do with this post where the OP is not only a new keeper but a teenager. None of it helps him at all. At best he can ignore it but at worst you'll confuse him into getting something he shouldn't be using

That is the beauty of the internet, at work.

This information being spread is not just limited to the OP. So when someone says 18x18x36 minium for babies, and everyone in the thread sees that, than they go on to say that. Not that it's bad advice to OP it isn't, but as a generalization it is.

Then they go on to spread that, and then more people parrot it, then they begin to see photos of breeders with caging they deem too small, (when it's not) and attack them. Others see the attack and then a bad rep spreads.

My point is, speaking in absolutes, especially when they are incorrect is not a good idea.

I am not disagreeing about this keeper needing to buy a larger cage, I am disagreeing with the way things were said. Don't sugar coat for OP.

Tell him, we can't and you can't trust you will be able to buy a bigger one. You need to start with an adult sizes cage. And actually, my suggestion would have been more of the more recent one.

"OP you seem young, you need to take some time to research, and get a summer job and save your money. When you have enough to care for a chameleon and buy this setup here is the list, we can assist more

/Thread :p. "

If he persists refer back. Parrot that.

Glass is starting to become not evil again here and other places. After a long time. Glass in the form of a Viv, was never bad, as long as the sizing was right ect. However people shortened don't use Aquariums to glass, and then parroted it so long, that now "Get full screen or GTFO. When full screen really isn't even ideal for alot of people. That's what I am trying to prevent.

Like Beman just said, tell the OP, how it applies to them and doesn't. However that is what I am saying to do as well, tell the OP that cage will not work for him, and tell him why.

He stated, could he use the cage temporarily while setting up another cage, just so his dad would be happy he used it for a few weeks. If he already had the other cage. That would be fine, I also doubt it's 12x12x20. The only 2 I can think of that size would be the small reptibreeze which is 16x16x20, or the Zilla Atrium which is 18x12x20. Though maybe it's a custom or some oddball.
Yeah that sound right it might have been 16x16x20 it definitely was not custom since the other supplies looked like they were from a crappy petsmart bundle

Yeah that sound right it might have been 16x16x20 it definitely was not custom since the other supplies looked like they were from a crappy petsmart bundle
Regardless hun, you're going to want to get a bigger enclosure because also no one is going to suggest you get a baby cham. You should get no younger than 3months and tbh 4 or 5 would be better because they are heartier and more full bodied. I got my cham when he was very young and probably would have done just fine in a 16x16x20, but I would not wish that stress on anyone!

Regardless hun, you're going to want to get a bigger enclosure because also no one is going to suggest you get a baby cham. You should get no younger than 3months and tbh 4 or 5 would be better because they are heartier and more full bodied. I got my cham when he was very young and probably would have done just fine in a 16x16x20, but I would not wish that stress on anyone!
of course thats what I had in a shopping list (I am updating it since I missed a couple of things) that I responded to someone with I am gonna get all of that stuff then buy the cham I think it was a 23.75x23x48 from dragon stand (the largest one at the dragon stand website)

Also $40 worth of plants wont really get you much coverage. You can either get like 1 really established plants or a bunch of small plants that need time to grow. I've spent 100s just on various plants (which is excessive but also my cham will never want for a place to hide or a place to tuck in for the night) and I know many others have as well.
Yeah I was thinking 40 dollars was not enough

How often do we tell new keepers to get the enclosure set before the getting the cham? What you're saying is pretty much the opposite.
Why do we keep ignoring the very important factor that this 15 year old kid has no stable form of income?? This is like the most important thing when it comes to what we recommend for him.
I'm definitely going to set up the cage before the cham that's pet owning 101

Right, well I'm not advocating him using that enclosure without having a full size on standby. Just saying, the generalization of "That's way to small for baby's" is a bad statement.

He did ask, if he could use it as long as he bought the other one, and wanted to use it for a short time to setup the big one. That would be fine.
and mostly just to make my dad happy that he got a free cage

I'm definitely going to set up the cage before the cham that's pet owning 101

That's good, and while your at it. Since you want to breed something, don't breed spider's.

Breed,
Some type of roach.

and (stop at any time)
Snail's (have to be your local variety)
Crickets
Stick Insects
Isopods
Superworms
Ect.

Since you have limited funds, and the desire to breed something, breed Food :). You can make a little side money on extra bugs if you breed enough, just sell them locally in Fbook groups.

The more of that you can breed, the better off you will be. Less feeders to buy :). They will all eat leaves or vegetables/Fruits, you can give them leftovers or stuff your family has extra that would get thrown away, until you have alot, but then sell extras and buy food.

Ok hun. I just checked out your list. So you will need more vines... But branches are better to use. I would get dragon ledges from dragonstrand.com and I would get a drip pan from them as well. The ledges will allow you to attach branches with zip ties. Branches are better for chams then the vines.

Also wrong uvb lighting. You need a t5HO fixture and a 5.0 uvb bulb and it should be a 24 inch fixture... Like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-26053-Reptisun-Terrarium/dp/B00AQU8F2O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2ATKESFX6MCI3&keywords=t5ho+reptile+light+fixture&qid=1561932675&s=gateway&sprefix=T5HO+,aps,222&sr=8-3
But I do not know if this one comes with the bulb.

I prefer this one. It is a better brand and the bulb is good for 1 full year then you have to replace. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/24...-arcadia-6-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs-included/
Re-updated the list with your suggestions

Back
Top Bottom