What chameleons are best to start breeding?

Haha, it is not easy to get established and make name. Your chameleons might start off being hard to sell at first. There are a heck of a lot of people trying their hand at it. Staying in it for a couple of batches and realize that it is not the money maker they hoped for it to be! It is a very time consuming and expensive thing to do if you do it correctly! There is a very small profit margin. If you breed something more rare there might be more of a market. I will help you where I can.

Well I mean its not really going to be a side job thats what im going to tell my parents to get 2 chams and breeding sounds
May I ask how old you are? There is soooo much that goes into the husbandry of these guys. And a lot of money as well. It is very easy to spend 1,200 right off the bat on 1 cham, cage, proper lighting, supplements, mistking, live plants, humidifier + more... This does not even account for what it costs to feed one each month or Vet bills. I think breeding should be the farthest thing from your mind. Do a ton of real research. Make a list of everything you need with prices. Make sure your parents are 100% behind you doing this and are will to pay for stuff. There are no short cuts in Chameleon husbandry.

May I ask how old you are? There is soooo much that goes into the husbandry of these guys. And a lot of money as well. It is very easy to spend 1,200 right off the bat on 1 cham, cage, proper lighting, supplements, mistking, live plants, humidifier + more... This does not even account for what it costs to feed one each month or Vet bills. I think breeding should be the farthest thing from your mind. Do a ton of real research. Make a list of everything you need with prices. Make sure your parents are 100% behind you doing this and are will to pay for stuff. There are no short cuts in Chameleon husbandry.
Im 15 and I did decide against the breeding since it is really difficult I was really just thinking of doing pygmys but they are hard to get and to breed but I decided to just getting one veild or panther and spending as much time as possible caring for him

Im 15 and I did decide against the breeding since it is really difficult I was really just thinking of doing pygmys but they are hard to get and to breed but I decided to just getting one veild or panther and spending as much time as possible caring for him
and Im going to do loads more research I know this isnt just a thing to to on a whim I know even just one cham can take up alot of time especially for someone younger like me and I do have experince with other pets and reptiles

and Im going to do loads more research I know this isnt just a thing to to on a whim I know even just one cham can take up alot of time especially for someone younger like me and I do have experince with other pets and reptiles

Wonderful! You will find a ton of info on the forum. I am not saying that at 15 you can't handle the care required just make sure you get items like a mistking and automate everything so you do not have to worry when your at school. Make sure your parents will financially back you in this. I recommend a Male Panther for your first Cham. Veileds can be quite grumpy. :)

Dont get one from petsmart or Petco. Local is better but still can be questionable. I wouldn't buy a cham from my local reptile place. I would recommend looking through the site sponsors or speaking with some of the members who are breeders on the forums such a @Matt Vanilla Gorilla or @Chameleon Mike
As far as species veiled and panther are both going to be the more "beginner" species but neither are beginner reptiles and require an immense amount of research and prep prior to getting the cham. And once you think you've done an "immense amount of research" think again cuz theres more research to be done. We are never done learning about our chameleons.

Thanks for the mention.

There is a lot of good advice on here and you should pay attention.

As stated: 1)not a side job. This will consume your house with cages and feeders.
2) Don't buy from a box store but from a breeder. I strictly breed Panthers. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla has a lot of different species as well as Panthers.
3) get yourself the right set up for your first chameleon and see how that goes before you start setting your sites on breeding.
I recommend Panther or Nosy Be.

Good luck.

I would like to see your set up or shopping list before you get the chameleon.

Thanks for the mention.

There is a lot of good advice on here and you should pay attention.

As stated: 1)not a side job. This will consume your house with cages and feeders.
2) Don't buy from a box store but from a breeder. I strictly breed Panthers. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla has a lot of different species as well as Panthers.
3) get yourself the right set up for your first chameleon and see how that goes before you start setting your sites on breeding.
I recommend Panther or Nosy Be.

Good luck.

I would like to see your set up or shopping list before you get the chameleon.
I read peoples replys and I plan on having a panther then years later if I think I can do It I will look more into it

Wonderful! You will find a ton of info on the forum. I am not saying that at 15 you can't handle the care required just make sure you get items like a mistking and automate everything so you do not have to worry when your at school. Make sure your parents will financially back you in this. I recommend a Male Panther for your first Cham. Veileds can be quite grumpy. :)
Definetly getting a male panther since my dad likes holding my pets alot even when I tell him not to and I got a 10-15 gallon tank (that I will use until my panther is too big for it and I plan to get a job over the summer and get 600-1000 dollars to be able to get the suppplies needed. I have a little dripper and some irragation tubes (I think thats what its for but I'm not sure) I also have a cricket cage setup already for my bearded dragon but I plan on mabye expanding It

Definetly getting a male panther since my dad likes holding my pets alot even when I tell him not to and I got a 10-15 gallon tank (that I will use until my panther is too big for it and I plan to get a job over the summer and get 600-1000 dollars to be able to get the suppplies needed. I have a little dripper and some irragation tubes (I think thats what its for but I'm not sure) I also have a cricket cage setup already for my bearded dragon but I plan on mabye expanding It
Nope hun you can't use a fish tank at all for Chams. They need air circulation and tanks become hot wet death traps for them. You will need to get a screen cage. Do you want us to give you a list of what you will need for a cham?

Nope hun you can't use a fish tank at all for Chams. They need air circulation and tanks become hot wet death traps for them. You will need to get a screen cage. Do you want us to give you a list of what you will need for a cham?
sorry I said tank its a cham cage its mesh and the proper chameleon height to size it is the petstore kind so I do want to get a bigger one when the cam grows

No they need a screen cage 2x2x4 for a male panther, buy one at least 3 months old. You need to be fully committed to this, wait until you get the job and get everything and I mean EVERYTHING first including feeder colonies and all then get your panther, this will cost you more than 1000 the panther alone will be close to 200 alone not to discourage you chameleons are not a pet you hold they're more like fish they like to be very solitary and can be very aggressive if you don't like this quality look into a beardie or crestie

No they need a screen cage 2x2x4 for a male panther, but one at least 3 months old. You need to be fully committed to this, wait until you get the job and get everything and I mean EVERYTHING first including feeder colonies and all then get your panther, this will cost you more than 1000 the panther alone will be close to 200 alone not to discourage you chameleons are not a key you hold they're more like fish they like to be very solitary and can be very aggressive if you don't like this quality look into a beardie or crestie
its like 12x12x18 or 20 not perfect definetly want to get a better/bigger one and I already have a crickets for my bearded dragon

I'm so serious when I say don't waste money on a small enclosure for him.I did this and it just three Me down the hole another $50 get the 2x2x4
Would my cage be fine for the first couple of months since my dad wants me to use the cage he got for free

It was free one my dads friend gave me since he sold his cham
Well then it all depends on how big your cham is when you get him, if it's three months old like most breeders sell. It could be in there for an entirety of maybe like 3 months? They grow fast. Be prepared and be smart about this one 3 months is not a lot of time, you'd have to furnish 2 cages one much bigger than the other just go big or go home I say

Would my cage be fine for the first couple of months since my dad wants me to use the cage he got for free

Honestly, no. 12x12x18 is way too small, even for a young panther. 16x16x30 minimum to start off, but it is much better to start with the full size 24"x24"x48" enclosure. If you cannot afford or provide this, then it is best you wait until you save up money before purchasing an animal.

Honestly, no. 12x12x18 is way too small, even for a young panther. 16x16x30 minimum to start off, but it is much better to start with the full size 24"x24"x48" enclosure. If you cannot afford or provide this, then it is best you wait until you save up money before purchasing an animal.
Totally agree. I just found out how small a 12x12x18 is... That what I keep tiny frogs in! In no way is that suitable for a cham Of any size

Back
Top Bottom