What chameleons are best to start breeding?

I have no experience breeding chams but i can say breeding in general isn't easy. Once you have babies its more work. It also depends on where you are located. The closer to natural temps and humidity you are to their needs, the easier it will be to maintain. I have bred many critters just not chams. I bred bobwhite quail for years and its never easy. Not saying you cant, just want you to be ready.

Raising each baby to 3-4 months of age can cost over $150 in insects. If they don't sell by that age they will need to go from group cages to individual cages 50-100$ea. If you don't sell them all locally they will need to be shipped sometimes cross country. Unless you ship a large volume you will pay 50-100 dollars to ship them. If you can't sell them then expect wholesalers to buy them for as little as 20$ each.
The best way to make a small fortune breeding chameleons is to start with a large fortune.

I am not sure this qualifies as a side job.... Do you have any chameleon experience?
I don't have much experience but I have done loads of research for months and I plan to get a cham then see how it goes and get more money to get a second

I'm not saying don't do it but know the odds of getting any money back are very small. You have to have a very large very efficient operation and a decent a mount of capitol to get there. You will become a slave to social media to drive your sales and there is a lot of competition.
Well I mean its not really going to be a side job thats what im going to tell my parents to get 2 chams and breeding sounds

Well I mean its not really going to be a side job thats what im going to tell my parents to get 2 chams and breeding sounds
If you have to "convince" your parents to get you chameleons then they are definitely not going to want babies there too. It will take over your entire life and your entire house. Seems like you are living at home with your parents, I doubt they would want the time, space, and money investment that it takes to breed chameleons. Start with one cham, preferably a Male, and see how you do there and revisit the breeding idea a few years down the line.

If you have to "convince" your parents to get you chameleons then they are definitely not going to want babies there too. It will take over your entire life and your entire house. Seems like you are living at home with your parents, I doubt they would want the time, space, and money investment that it takes to breed chameleons. Start with one cham, preferably a Male, and see how you do there and revisit the breeding idea a few years down the line.
Good idea. What breed should I start with? And is online, pet-smart/petco, or my local reptilium?

Good idea. What breed should I start with? And is online, pet-smart/petco, or my local reptilium?
Dont get one from petsmart or Petco. Local is better but still can be questionable. I wouldn't buy a cham from my local reptile place. I would recommend looking through the site sponsors or speaking with some of the members who are breeders on the forums such a @Matt Vanilla Gorilla or @Chameleon Mike
As far as species veiled and panther are both going to be the more "beginner" species but neither are beginner reptiles and require an immense amount of research and prep prior to getting the cham. And once you think you've done an "immense amount of research" think again cuz theres more research to be done. We are never done learning about our chameleons.

I don't have much experience but I have done loads of research for months and I plan to get a cham then see how it goes and get more money to get a second

If you don't have experience, then this should be the furthest thought away from your mind with regards to chameleons. Without first demonstrating proficiency with long term chameleon care (I would argue keeping more than one chameleon for its entire lifespan), then this would just be highly irresponsible and selfish. Especially if you have to lie to your parents to achieve your goal. If you are living with your parents and require their permission, then I can only assume you are young and do not have the funds to even attempt such a project. With your experience, most of the babies would end up dying (which assumes you can even keep the adults alive long enough to breed).

Also: no good breeder or even chameleon enthusiast should have to ask for recommendations on what's the easiest thing to do. It is clear that you do not have the interest to do your own research. And that lack of accountability is no way to get into the chameleon keeping (let alone breeding) world.

If you want to make money breeding an exotic animal, start with tarantulas. Seriously.

For me, I'll breed a couple of my tarantula species if I can find a healthy male that is ready to mate with one of my females. I think in the last 5 years I have paired 3 of my females with a male I would get on loan from another hobbyist. It's a lot of work to care for a gravid spider and then to try and pull the egg sack safely, then incubate, sort healthy eggs from bad and eventually care for hundreds of spiderlings. Thats all before I need to set up a small enclosure (deli cup) for each sling so they dont eat each other...

As with anything, don't look to make any significant amount of money off the bat. Especially when you don't even have a chameleon. Adults are needy enough so I can't imagine trying to set up a breeding operation.

What every one here is trying to tell you is that you need to walk before you run.
To do that I would recommend you consider a Panther chameleon as a pet. I say panther because they are gorgeous and some day when you have your own place and can have an entire reptile room, garage and yard they are worth breeding but not profitable for the hobbyist.

Here is a list of the supplies and the prices of most of what you will need before you pick one out.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/average-cost-of-owning-a-chameleon.522/ the prices are old so double check.
Once you have all this and have made a budget for the ongoing costs, feeders, replacement bulbs and vet bills. Then get everything up and running to be the correct habitat.
Then find a reputable breeder, not a pet store or online wholesaler and pick out a male to be your pet.

If you want to make money breeding an exotic animal, start with tarantulas. Seriously.

For me, I'll breed a couple of my tarantula species if I can find a healthy male that is ready to mate with one of my females. I think in the last 5 years I have paired 3 of my females with a male I would get on loan from another hobbyist. It's a lot of work to care for a gravid spider and then to try and pull the egg sack safely, then incubate, sort healthy eggs from bad and eventually care for hundreds of spiderlings. Thats all before I need to set up a small enclosure (deli cup) for each sling so they dont eat each other...

As with anything, don't look to make any significant amount of money off the bat. Especially when you don't even have a chameleon. Adults are needy enough so I can't imagine trying to set up a breeding operation.
That sounds really cool I might start doing that when I move out and I already have a cage (might be small though since it was for praying mantis) What species would be a good starter and where is a good place to by them (since I heard pet smart places are not the best)

What every one here is trying to tell you is that you need to walk before you run.
To do that I would recommend you consider a Panther chameleon as a pet. I say panther because they are gorgeous and some day when you have your own place and can have an entire reptile room, garage and yard they are worth breeding but not profitable for the hobbyist.

Here is a list of the supplies and the prices of most of what you will need before you pick one out.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/average-cost-of-owning-a-chameleon.522/ the prices are old so double check.
Once you have all this and have made a budget for the ongoing costs, feeders, replacement bulbs and vet bills. Then get everything up and running to be the correct habitat.
Then find a reputable breeder, not a pet store or online wholesaler and pick out a male to be your pet.
Where is a good place to find a breeder? I definitely will do a lot of research before buying anything since getting animals cost ALOT and I would hate putting an animal in conditions that are not top tier

Back
Top Bottom