what can i do??

turrgon

i got my first chameleon (a panther) over the weekend and the seller gave me a supply of crickets that lasted until monday night. the insects i ordered from a pet store were mostly dead and of what remained, most were too big for him. it doesnt look like getting any insects small enough for him before monday is going to be easy, and thats going to be a week for him without food. i know he wont voluntarily eat anything that isnt a moving insect but can i syringe feed him anything??

Have you attempted to procure different food items other than crickets?

There are a plethora of feeders that make it just plain silly for your chameleon to go hungry.

How small is he pictures would be helpful, and how far is the nearest pet store? or bait shop for that matter... and if you bought him this weekend didnt you figure he was gonna need food? Can we see some pics of your setup adn of the little one... good luck, where are you located also?

I looked at a few other posts and see he is 3 months old? I have a 3 month old panther as well and she eats crickets small roaches and small mealworms you can buy @ walmart... in the sporting goods section... no need for her to go hungry as Will said...

Last edited:
How small is he pictures would be helpful, and how far is the nearest pet store? or bait shop for that matter... and if you bought him this weekend didnt you figure he was gonna need food? Can we see some pics of your setup adn of the little one... good luck, where are you located also?

I looked at a few other posts and see he is 3 months old? I have a 3 month old panther as well and she eats crickets small roaches and small mealworms you can buy @ walmart... in the sporting goods section... no need for her to go hungry as Will said...

If you read his post, he specifically said most of the feeders died. It's not like he intentionally didn't buy feeders. That was rude.

sure food is available, but nothing small enough for him (hes not even 2in without his tail). the 15mm waxworms were even too big for him. petsmart has preserved feeders and a vibrating dish so hopefully if i cut those up thatll work. hes feeling shy at the moment and hiding but if he comes out ill get some pictures.

I'm not intending to be rude, but if you do not have access to a larger city which i don't nearest place for me to get crickets is 1 1/2 hours away... then the bulk way to buy is the only way, and the other post he posted said he had enough for a couple of days, and i also suggested a few places he can get some locally if you read my post as well.... wal-mart has the meal worms, and you need to check bait shops and stuff as well some carry crickets as well as meal worms and wax worms small enough for your little one.. I also turn on my outside lights late and go out with a net and catch small moths and such as well.... you can also try your hand at breeding fruit flies its pretty easy and only costs a couple of bucks to start..there are options close to you if you only know where to look...some places you wouldn't think will have what you need but they may.

sure food is available, but nothing small enough for him (hes not even 2in without his tail). the 15mm waxworms were even too big for him. petsmart has preserved feeders and a vibrating dish so hopefully if i cut those up thatll work. hes feeling shy at the moment and hiding but if he comes out ill get some pictures.

petsmart has fruit flies as well as baby meal worms and pinheads too.... stock up on some different kinds of food... i don't know about the freeze dried stuff I have never offered it to mine, might work but if your there they do have live feeders...

the 15mm waxworms were even too big for him. ...

Since waxworms are soft bodied he should be able to take them. I have a pair of side-blotched lizards which are about the size of small house geckos and they eat full grown waxworms as well as freshly molted roach nymphs that are up to 1/2"

Definitely go for the fruit flies. The moths at lights that Ren suggested are a good idea. This time of year (depending where you live) you should be able to take some small ones. Put a white sheet under some shrubs and small trees and shakes the branches to see what falls. Selectively pick out some good feeders: tree crickets, green caterpillars (fruit worms, inchworms are safe). Just be aware to never feed anything with black/orange/yellow combinations as these MAY be toxic and also that no pesticides have been used. These things should help get you thru. Consider buying some silkworms and chow, too.

lele

You could also try running a fish net through grassy vegetation to catch a variety of small insects. Even if you live up north you ought be be able to catch a ton of food for another month. Even my 3" tall lawn has a ton of small crickets this time of year.

You could also try running a fish net through grassy vegetation to catch a variety of small insects. Even if you live up north you ought be be able to catch a ton of food for another month. Even my 3" tall lawn has a ton of small crickets this time of year.

If you do not have tall grass a great place to do this is a power line clearing. Since they keep the vegetation low and an access path it is ideal! Depending where you live, they either use sheep (like here in NH:D) or mowing/bushwhacking) to cut and not herbicides so it is a safe place as well. Like Orin says, great variety. I help the neighborhood 6th graders with their insects collections each year and this is a prime location for us to go ;)

lele

Back
Top Bottom