What are these???

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’ve pretty much been leaving Stella alone as she’s quite gravid. However, this morning she was very shy and I had to reach in her enclosure to offer her cup of bugs. When I did, I found all of her leaves and everything is all sticky and what I thought was shed particles on her leaves are actually tiny bugs and their eggs. What the heck are these things? They are only in her enclosure...no one else’s.
9ED3C37E-FFBD-4DAB-B065-809DA92B8558.jpeg
084568AE-4848-4F06-B1BA-DCD6BE29CF90.jpeg
63096C70-F75D-434B-B7D3-1F935632507E.jpeg

Google says they are white flies. So now I have to ask if anyone has had these and what is the risk of them spreading to all of my other enclosures? How do I safely get rid of them? Keep in mind, 3/4 of my enclosures are bioactive, including Stella’s.

What the heck are these things? They are only in her enclosure...no one else’s.
View attachment 295060
Missus thinks the first pic is mealy bugs, and a pretty serious infestation.
Hold da phone..

She says this is a good article.
Insect pests of cacti and succulents grown as house plants

Plant should be removed from enclosure to treat.
I've only tried treating with an alcohol solution, but she can try hydrogen peroxide - wouldn't hurt the plants and I should think it would kill the bugs

My alcohol solution mix (only the quantity you end up with is different):

8c water :: 2 T soap :: 2 T alcohol

4c water :: 1 T soap :: 1 T alcohol

2c water :: 1/2T soap :: 1/2T alcohol

1c water :: 1/4T soap :: 1/4T alcohol

"Remedy: Use a cotton swab or Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and apply directly on the bugs and anywhere you see the white cottony substance. Your plant will not be harmed while killing the bugs with this method.

Alternatively, instead of dabbing with alcohol, you can use a spray bottle and spray rubbing alcohol directly onto the bugs and white fluff. Some people like to dilute the alcohol about half strength with water .
above from: https://succulentplantcare.com/help-there-are-insects-on-my-succulents/

Google says they are white flies. So now I have to ask if anyone has had these and what is the risk of them spreading to all of my other enclosures? How do I safely get rid of them? Keep in mind, 3/4 of my enclosures are bioactive, including Stella’s.
She says it's possible a couple things are going on.
If you have a different way of treating for white flies, probably try that first.

The reason for removing the plant was because of the alcohol in the remedy, and keeping fumes away from the cham. If you have a place to stash the cham while treating the plants in situ, that's fine.

She just came in and said treatment's basically the same.

So much for sleeping today. Just got done tearing all of the plants out along with all branches and vines. Thankfully I have a couple of small enclosures I have stashed Stella in and even more thankfully, I have 2 new diy enclosures sitting here waiting for me to put them together. Was going to do a nice foamed backdrop, but that will have to wait. Hoping the 1/2 bag of play sand I have will be enough for a lay bin.

If you want a more natural way of killing them try green lace wings. I bought some and put them in the cages and it helped a little
Think I’ll get some as even though I see nothing in my other enclosures, little white clouds were inevitable when I removed all of the plants.
Let me guess the white flies are on your hibiscus. I just had the same problem. I ended up clean the plant with water soap and Vinegar
Of course there’s hibiscus involved. Think I’ll be using a nice umbrella plant for her instead.

Think I’ll get some as even though I see nothing in my other enclosures, little white clouds were inevitable when I removed all of the plants.

Of course there’s hibiscus involved. Think I’ll be using a nice umbrella plant for her instead.
I love hibiscus but them being so pest pron in a problem. I’m also thinking about putting mine outside because it looks like the white flys are back again and I missed a few eggs when I was cleaning but I think sejuani is eating them because they are kinda disappearing now

I’d like to get an outside enclosure or two set up, so the hibiscus will be perfect for those. Is one of the reasons I have a couple of Diy’s sitting around...can put the crappy ReptiBreezes outside.
I’m hoping to work on something like that this summer as well for the chameleons. I have two extra cages I just need to get 4 more so everyone can be outside. If you do it plz post pics!!

I’m hoping to work on something like that this summer as well for the chameleons. I have two extra cages I just need to get 4 more so everyone can be outside. If you do it plz post pics!!
Will do! I’m not going to keep any outside for more than a couple of hours...just to get some fresh air & sunshine. Working on converting an old chameleon kit sized Repti breeze into an outside enclosure for my beardie too. Question for you...do you think it would be ok to try and save some of my isopods from the infected enclosure?

Idt I've dealt with white flies, but I've had many other pest problems hah. @snitz427 any thoughts? Usually using some sort of solution and manually spraying them works. I always liked going for a natural predator if there are one, I've used parasitic wasps, lady bugs(outside of enclosure), and lacewings for aphids and others.

Not mealybugs. Looks like thrips (the only pest I haven't had so far - knock on wood). Could be whitefly in there, too... they are easy to tell because if you just blow on the leaves you'll see tons of tiny little white spots fly off. The sticky stuff is honey dew (a sort of sugary substance) from where the bugs were sucking on the plant.

If you can, pull the plant and spray it with a mix of dawn dish soap, some 70% rubbing alcohol, and water. Let it sit for 5-10 mins then spray it down really well. You can spray it first, too, to knock a bunch off - but I'd prefer they burn in a firey rubbing alcohol hell.

You should repeat this in about 7 days to kill and remove any babies that hatched, to disrupt their breeding cycle.

Idt I've dealt with white flies, but I've had many other pest problems hah. @snitz427 any thoughts? Usually using some sort of solution and manually spraying them works. I always liked going for a natural predator if there are one, I've used parasitic wasps, lady bugs(outside of enclosure), and lacewings for aphids and others.

I love going the predatory pest route (mantids, parasitic wasps, lacewings (cham food!), etc)... but its a slow battle that way. I find they help control numbers but never really irradicate them. I prefer to do the cleaning cycle at least 2x, if not 3x... then spot treat after that or throw in lacewing eggs for any stragglers.

Back
Top Bottom