What are these white spots?

Mizshell88

Does this look to be the beginning of shedding or is there something else i should look into?
stetson.jpeg

Veiled Chameleon 4-5 months
Enclosure: 4'X8' Screen (sealed wood)
All live plants: Coleus, Geranium, Petunia, Swiss Cheese Plant, Boston Fern, Fuchsia, Begonia.
Lighting 8a-8p: Quad 6500K blue, 1 Linear 12% Arcadia UVB all lighting Suspended above enclosure 8" basking branch 12" from lights
Mist King: 1:30a, 5:45a, 9:15a
Feeding: Silk worms, Dubia, Green bottle fly spikes, BSFL, (gut loaded) daily 25 mixed
Supplements: Arcadia Pro-A every feeding, Arcadia Revitalize D3 2x per month

here is the form. it would be helpful if you filled it out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. Male Veiled 4-5 months How long has it been in your care? 1 week
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I do not handle
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Silk worms, Dubia, BSFL, Green Bottle Fly Spikes What amount? 25 (mixed) per day What is the schedule? Cup Feeding 8:30a daily How are you gut-loading your feeders? Fresh fruit and vegetables day before, piece of sweet potato in cup daily
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Arcadia Pro A every feeder every day, Arcadia RevitalizeD3 2 times per month
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Dripper 2-5p daily How often and how long to you mist? Mist King 1:15a 5:45a 9:15a daily Do you see your chameleon drinking? No
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Solid Dark Color with urates Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) Screen (Sealed wood) What are the dimensions? 4' wide x 4' long x 8' tall
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Quad 6500K blue UVB Arcadia 12% What is your daily lighting schedule? 8a- 8p
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Cage floor 70 Basking 84 Lowest overnight temp? 64 How do you measure these temps? Multiple temp gages mounted through out enclosure
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 68% day time 87% evening (lights out) How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Mister, Fogger What do you use to measure humidity? Gages mounted through out enclosure
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes If so, what kind? Begonia, Geranium, Coleus, Petunia, Fuchsia, Monster swiss cheese plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Has its own room in the home Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is a floor to ceiling enclosure
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Michigan

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. White Spots is it the beginning of a shedding cycle or something else

Attachments

• stetson.jpeg
    stetson.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 57
Are you using hard water or tap water to mist your enclosure? If you're using tap water or hard water to mist the enclosure and if you're dusting your pet’s food with a calcium supplement, then both can lead to white spots, which are water spots.

It's often a mixture of the dusted calcium supplement mixing with the water from the misting or water dripper, dropping onto your pet’s body and leaving a white mark.

White spots are not causing for alarm and are often something simple, such as water spots, your pet about to shed or has just shed

Are you using hard water or tap water to mist your enclosure? If you're using tap water or hard water to mist the enclosure and if you're dusting your pet’s food with a calcium supplement, then both can lead to white spots, which are water spots.

It's often a mixture of the dusted calcium supplement mixing with the water from the misting or water dripper, dropping onto your pet’s body and leaving a white mark.

White spots are not causing for alarm and are often something simple, such as water spots, your pet about to shed or has just shed
No I am using RO water in all applications

Someone should be on shortly to check the husbandry. Looks like your doing a real food job from what I've read

OK well now that that's out of the way. Are the spots level with body or are they raised a little than body level. Like bumps

That is good thing. From what I've learned white spots that are above body level could mean serious infection. But in your case I'm starting to think its nothing serious.

I'm concerned about how dark he is in the pick. Does he stay dark? Because they usually are a paler color when getting ready to shed. So if he's been staying dark since the spots and if its not from dusting feeders. I don't want to alarm you but there has been a virus that spreads through chameleons called papilloma, something like that. Im not sure how its spelled but it starts out with white spots then scabs and I don't think there is a cure for it. I'm just stating this because you say you only had him for a week. So its a possibility. Don't get alarmed there is a HUGE chance that I'm wrong. Where did you get him?

It almost looks like bits of stuck shed, but if he hasn’t shed lately, that wouldn’t be it. Papilloma is raised, but if small may not appear so yet. Truly the best way to tell what the spots are, provided they don’t clear on their own in about a week, would be a vet visit. A vet can take a biopsy sample. Papilloma is not life threatening, but it is communicable to other reptiles.

My bet is on a coming shed. I have seen the look.
Yes a bit dark and daytime humidity could be lower, but Michigan in the summer so sounds about right.
Keep an eye but probably OK. 84 is on the high end 80-82 is plenty. They do prefer ambient in the low 70s. So if things are a bit hot and humid due to the season don’t worry. Keep an eye out but I would not worry.
Arcadia is good but go light it is powerful stuff and some have had issues.

With your night temps, Fogger and mist you can ditch the dripper. For a veiled I would just do 2 mistings am and pm. But for longer duration 3-5 minutes. They do need to dry during the day 40% is great but as mentioned if it is a Michigan thing just increase air flow in the room with a fan.

But great setup.

I'm concerned about how dark he is in the pick. Does he stay dark? Because they usually are a paler color when getting ready to shed. So if he's been staying dark since the spots and if its not from dusting feeders. I don't want to alarm you but there has been a virus that spreads through chameleons called papilloma, something like that. Im not sure how its spelled but it starts out with white spots then scabs and I don't think there is a cure for it. I'm just stating this because you say you only had him for a week. So its a possibility. Don't get alarmed there is a HUGE chance that I'm wrong. Where did you get him?
He has been dark since I received him. I’ve seen him lighter after the lights go out for the evening. Are there any other signs or symptoms for papilloma virus?

OK. I really don't think you have anything to worry about. The virus looks like warts. A lot of times starts with one on the eyelid. But just in case, after youve gone to a vet and have been diagnosed you can add a daily soak to prevent dehydration. In fact the vet might tell you this. Buy some unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of half Pedialyte and half water. Make it deep enough to cover the vent (where droppings pass out) because reptiles can absorb fluids and nutrients through their vents and skin. Soak for about 20 minutes. Be sure to supervise closely. It does go away on its own. Is it looking like shedding yet?

Back
Top Bottom