What are some options to increase average temps?

Hello! I have a male fishers chameleon, around 2 years old, his name is Yoda. I live in upstate NY and it gets very cold.

I have had him a little over a year, but last year due to circumstances I had him in a glass enclosure which was great for the winter because it helped keep the heat in.
Now he is in a 48x24x24 screen enclosure and I switched the bulb two days from 50w to 75w while noticing the basking area hasn't been temping (it has been getting colder outside).
Currently it is around 72. Yesterday it was temping at 80, but today it has dropped alongside the outside temperatures.
He's not living with me currently but my mom does the daily dos. There are situations which is going to make it difficult to move him anywhere else in the house.
She keeps her inside temperatures around 64-66 all winter.
I'm curious as to what my firesafe options are at keeping some heat in his cage.
Using a 75w basking spot, and a seperate uvb (not sure of wattage).

well I'm in md and in the winter I already have to use a 75w so you might want to get it a little warmer in the nov-feb months also if your house is super cold at night u might want a 75w ceramic heat bulb for the night time

I'm just throwing ideas out that you can try, I just heat my house to 72 degrees in winter during the day and let it drop into the 60's only at night. You could wrap three sides of the cage in plastic (maybe even bubble wrap for insulation) and that might hold in some heat. You could add another low wattage basking bulb to create a bit more heat but know you will sacrifice some humidity. I don't know Fisher's requirements for night time temp. drop but a ceramic heat emitter as mentioned will be valuable.

CHE are great...I use them in the winter...you could use coco fiber Mating on the sides of the panels on the outside and keeps the some heat in humidity up and another good thing about it is it retains the mist as well. Or you could put bamboo fencing on the outside panels that you get at the hardware store and retie it tight and it’s like $25 for a whole roll of it at Lowe’s/Home Depot in the garden center. I like the idea @JacksJill about bubble rap or plastic.

Last edited:
Hello! I have a male fishers chameleon, around 2 years old, his name is Yoda. I live in upstate NY and it gets very cold.

I have had him a little over a year, but last year due to circumstances I had him in a glass enclosure which was great for the winter because it helped keep the heat in.
Now he is in a 48x24x24 screen enclosure and I switched the bulb two days from 50w to 75w while noticing the basking area hasn't been temping (it has been getting colder outside).
Currently it is around 72. Yesterday it was temping at 80, but today it has dropped alongside the outside temperatures.
He's not living with me currently but my mom does the daily dos. There are situations which is going to make it difficult to move him anywhere else in the house.
She keeps her inside temperatures around 64-66 all winter.
I'm curious as to what my firesafe options are at keeping some heat in his cage.
Using a 75w basking spot, and a seperate uvb (not sure of wattage).
I also have a 48×24×24 screen cage for my chameleon. I keep wax paper attached to 2 sides, I use a 100w bulb, and turn on a ceramic heat emitter bulb when it gets colder. my sister likes to keep our apartment at 68° all year long. during winter I also have a space heater for when it gets colder to keep my room a bit warmer.

Back
Top Bottom