What am I going to with 2,000 prepupae black flies?

Trailgem

Avid Member
Yep, I ordered prepupae instead of pupae.... (by mistake, at 3am in the morning)

How do I get hem to pupae and what else is there to know?

I just try to keep the soil somewhat moist but not wet ( I know that's not specific but I hope helpful) so that the flys wings fully develope. I would try to separate them out to smaller manageable amounts so you can release a few at a time without the hoarde getting out.

Bsfl are my staple feeder at the moment. I always get flys with little to no effort.

But prepupaes are moving... so they are not fully pupated yet? Do I have to feed them? When will they turn into pupaes?
Or am I miss understanding this prepupae vs pupae thing?

That’s what I wanted to do, change my staple food to Probably not the best choice ordering it when you wake up dreaming about it.

But prepupaes are moving... so they are not fully pupated yet? Do I have to feed them? When will they turn into pupaes?
Or am I miss understanding this prepupae vs pupae thing?

That’s what I wanted to do, change my staple food to Probably not the best choice ordering it when you wake up dreaming about it.
Bsfl love fruits and sweeter items in my experience, they are amazing composting machines.
For ones that are darker and about to change phase in the life cycle you can try to feed them but they may not go for it just be sure to remove the food items so you don't get mold

also fresh larvae will make a bit of an odor if you feed them frequently, however if you don't they will shrink in size and lose nutritional value.

But again You can toss some in with the pre pupate if they are moving still they may feed. Good luck

Where did you order from many online sources allow you to pick a size I always opt for large or XL since they can only get so big.

My panther loves the bsfl and fly. Granted they are smaller feeders so I need to feed a few more per day but I think it works for both of us. It can be a hard sell once they stop moving but if you have a hand feeding routine they will know your bringing food into the equation and likely will Chow down.

Best of luck.

Hey thanks. That helped a lot. I ordered them from symton. I’m gonna feed them some fruit. I already see some darker ones. I guess it’s time to separate them.

Again... THANK YOU!!!

Back
Top Bottom