What age would you say my panther chameleon is?

Joshy444

Could someone please tell me how old do you think my female panther looks, as I brought it off an guy and he said it was 9 months old I've had it for about a month now but just really would like to know if her age is correct which should be 10 months now thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181211-224614_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20181211-224614_WhatsApp.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20181211-224618_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20181211-224618_WhatsApp.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 122
I can't at the moment as she's sleeping I have these photos if there any help

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1544570298535.jpg
    FB_IMG_1544570298535.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 61
  • FB_IMG_1544570301217.jpg
    FB_IMG_1544570301217.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 69
  • FB_IMG_1544570306744.jpg
    FB_IMG_1544570306744.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 110
I would say he's probably right and she probably is around 10 months old. Also looks like she might have a burn on the right side from the pictures.
Do you have a laying bin for her? She looks like she's showing some gravid colors in the last pictures you posted

Also I can't help but notice the red light in the first picture, if that is the heat bulb you want to change that to a day bulb

Fill this out!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
THX @Joshy444 welcome to the fourms

Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, Female, 10 months old. Ive cared for this chameleon around a months time.

Handling - I handle her around 2-3 times a week as she keeps hissing at me and getting stressed so easily.

Feeding - I am currently feed her locusts which are only large ones, (28-32mm), I give her 4 a day, I give her the locusts around 10:30 - 11:30 every day, I don't gut feed the locusts, also I use calcium powered every 2-3 days a week.

Supplements - I use calcium and the brand is nutrobal it says it's calcium & multivitamin.

Watering - The water bottle is pressure bottle where I pump it about 15 times then it comes out a bras nozzle end very fine. I mist her 3 times a day for about 30 seconds as it drenches everything, I see her licking the water droplets of the plant or sometime I get an bottle which i pump it myself at the front of her mouth and I can see her swallowing it.

Fecal Description - Her poop is brown but I've noticed her wee has a bit of orange bits in. No she hasnt been tested for parasites.

History - I brought it of an guy who said he had her for 9 months

Cage Info:

Cage Type - screened vivarium( mesh all round) but I've put thin laminated woof around the sides to keep the heat it and saves everything getting drenched, it has an acrylic bottom and sides so nothing can escape, the dimensions are 3ft high, 2ft length. 2 ft depth,

Lighting - arcadia, euro ranger, t8 26mm, Forest 5% uvb, I have to lights on a timer for 10am-10pm

Temperature - I have a basking spot for her and the temp range from 88-93, Lowest overnight temp will be 85 in her basking spot or about 18 degrees at the bottom, I use a themometer I have two one at the basking spot and one near the bottom.

Humidity - The humidity is around 60% without misting and when it goes to 99%, I use a mister which I pump it a few times then spray. To measure my humity I use an thememoter which has the humidity on.

Plants - live plants and fake but not sure what the live plants are as the old owner have them to me.

Placement - My cage is located in my room, and my room.is an loft conversion so it gets cold up here. It has about 1/4 of a meter above the cage from where it is, it's hard to say as I have beams in my room because of being in the loft.

Location - United Kindom- West Midlands

Current Problem - Because I'm new to owning a chameleon I'm a bit worried about everything as I want to make sure It's an correct set up, The first concern is if she has enough cover in her vivarium which I will post a pic of, Second if she looks healthy and the correct size, She keeps having little stress marks while she is basking, One last thing is that she doesn't like me trying going to pick her up she gets very stressed easily and tries hissing at me then when she is really peed off she will try and lash out at me.

Attachments

• 1544627173434671601382891123306.jpg
    1544627173434671601382891123306.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 15446272070295984022281784232400.jpg
    15446272070295984022281784232400.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 154462725482261926946000579669.jpg
    154462725482261926946000579669.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 15446272954461178387907871932603.jpg
    15446272954461178387907871932603.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 15446273430227168119222400740211.jpg
    15446273430227168119222400740211.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Replace the red heat bulb for a regular house bulb. The red light has no benefit at all and tend to be more expensive to replace.

I would move the cage up high on a desk or stand. Being that low to the ground will stress the cham out. They feel more safe when high above the ground.

Also, you will need a laying bin in there ASAP. you can read about them here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

Also, check this caresheet out for details on supplementation, gutloads, and diet: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Replace the red heat bulb for a regular house bulb. The red light has no benefit at all and tend to be more expensive to replace.

I would move the cage up high on a desk or stand. Being that low to the ground will stress the cham out. They feel more safe when high above the ground.

Also, you will need a laying bin in there ASAP. you can read about them here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

Also, check this caresheet out for details on supplementation, gutloads, and diet: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
HI does this means she's pregnant then or?

They will develope and lay unfertilized eggs and can lay eggs as early as 6 months old in some cases. 10 months old is not unheard of. She definitely is showing her adult colors which means she can start becoming gravid at anytime.

General rule when keeping females is to have a laying bin present at all times in the cage.

Read through the links I mentioned above. They detail what to look for in a female panther when they are gravid and how to prepare and set up a laying bin.

If she doesn't have a proper place to lay eggs when she's ready she can become egg-bound which is lethal if not properly cared for

It is very important you start gutloading your locusts ASAP. She isn't going to get any meaningful nutrition otherwise.

I would lower her basking temperature, too. 88-93 is quite hot for female panthers. You want to aim for between 80 and 85.

For supplements, you weren't very specific, but I think you're missing some important components. To review, what she needs is (1) plain calcium every day, (2) calcium WITH vitamin D3 once every other week, and (3) a multivitamin once every other week. Check your current supplements to see if they have D3. If they don't, it is critical to her health that you start supplementing with D3 immediately.

30 seconds is too short a time to be misting. Recommended to be no less than 2 minutes. In addition to allowing her to drink more, she also needs longer misting sessions to help clean out her eyes.

It is very important you start gutloading your locusts ASAP. She isn't going to get any meaningful nutrition otherwise.

I would lower her basking temperature, too. 88-93 is quite hot for female panthers. You want to aim for between 80 and 85.

For supplements, you weren't very specific, but I think you're missing some important components. To review, what she needs is (1) plain calcium every day, (2) calcium WITH vitamin D3 once every other week, and (3) a multivitamin once every other week. Check your current supplements to see if they have D3. If they don't, it is critical to her health that you start supplementing with D3 immediately.

30 seconds is too short a time to be misting. Recommended to be no less than 2 minutes. In addition to allowing her to drink more, she also needs longer misting sessions to help clean out her eyes.
This is what I use

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181212-181115_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181212-181115_Samsung Internet.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20181212-181123_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181212-181123_Samsung Internet.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, Female, 10 months old. Ive cared for this chameleon around a months time.

Handling - I handle her around 2-3 times a week as she keeps hissing at me and getting stressed so easily.

Feeding - I am currently feed her locusts which are only large ones, (28-32mm), I give her 4 a day, I give her the locusts around 10:30 - 11:30 every day, I don't gut feed the locusts, also I use calcium powered every 2-3 days a week.

Supplements - I use calcium and the brand is nutrobal it says it's calcium & multivitamin.

Watering - The water bottle is pressure bottle where I pump it about 15 times then it comes out a bras nozzle end very fine. I mist her 3 times a day for about 30 seconds as it drenches everything, I see her licking the water droplets of the plant or sometime I get an bottle which i pump it myself at the front of her mouth and I can see her swallowing it.

Fecal Description - Her poop is brown but I've noticed her wee has a bit of orange bits in. No she hasnt been tested for parasites.

History - I brought it of an guy who said he had her for 9 months

Cage Info:

Cage Type - screened vivarium( mesh all round) but I've put thin laminated woof around the sides to keep the heat it and saves everything getting drenched, it has an acrylic bottom and sides so nothing can escape, the dimensions are 3ft high, 2ft length. 2 ft depth,

Lighting - arcadia, euro ranger, t8 26mm, Forest 5% uvb, I have to lights on a timer for 10am-10pm

Temperature - I have a basking spot for her and the temp range from 88-93, Lowest overnight temp will be 85 in her basking spot or about 18 degrees at the bottom, I use a themometer I have two one at the basking spot and one near the bottom.

Humidity - The humidity is around 60% without misting and when it goes to 99%, I use a mister which I pump it a few times then spray. To measure my humity I use an thememoter which has the humidity on.

Plants - live plants and fake but not sure what the live plants are as the old owner have them to me.

Placement - My cage is located in my room, and my room.is an loft conversion so it gets cold up here. It has about 1/4 of a meter above the cage from where it is, it's hard to say as I have beams in my room because of being in the loft.

Location - United Kindom- West Midlands

Current Problem - Because I'm new to owning a chameleon I'm a bit worried about everything as I want to make sure It's an correct set up, The first concern is if she has enough cover in her vivarium which I will post a pic of, Second if she looks healthy and the correct size, She keeps having little stress marks while she is basking, One last thing is that she doesn't like me trying going to pick her up she gets very stressed easily and tries hissing at me then when she is really peed off she will try and lash out at me.
Please don’t handle her unless she asks for it (climbs onto you herself). Chams are like fish, look but don’t touch. You must properly gutload every feeder! Use either organic fresh fruits and veggies (there’s a gutload list here in the food and nutrition tab in resources) and/or a quality commercial gutload, like Cricket Crack, Pangea Gutload, or Repashy Bug Burger. There are many ways to supplement:
1-phosphorous free calcium without D3 every feeding (like Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3), phosphorus free calcium with D3 every two weeks (like Zoo Med ReptiCalcium with D3), and a multivitamin without D3 every two weeks (like Zoo Med Reptivite without D3)
2-phosphorous free calcium without D3 every feeding (like Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3) and a multivitamin with D3 every two weeks (like Zoo Med Reptivite with D3)
3-an all in one supplement every feeding (like Sticky Tongue Farms Minerall Indoor- gutload all feeders you’ll feed off the night before or a few hours before with the wet version of Sticky Tongue Farms Vitall)
4-Arcadia supplements using the Arcadia insectivore supplement schedule off of their website
Pro tip- also add in some bee pollen dust each dusting for extra nutrients! Panthers need to be misted for a minimum of 2 minutes, but preferably for 5 minutes, each misting. Orange urates usually mean some dehydration. Lower the basking to where it’s around 80-85*F. I’d make sure to get a proper lay bin set up ASAP, as well.

Back
Top Bottom