What age do females begin to lay eggs?

Hello -

I am wondering at what age female chameleons begin to lay eggs and need the egg bins. Also, I am looking for a recommended vet in the Twin Cities area of MN.

Thanks!

Even without a "rooster" around? I have heard stories of them being receptive as early as 4-5 months, but i didnt think they laid unfertilized eggs that early.
I always thought once a female chameleon is receptive, she already has eggs inside. It would make sense too, isn’t that why they are looking for a male? To make the eggs fertile?

If she's receptive there would be follicles that are preparing to ovulate and become fertilized but are still unshelled I believe.

And some times even the entire batch of shelled get reabsorbed if they are infertile. Thanks to the internet everything gets dumbed down, but like you, i dont think they are "eggs" when they are fertilized.

I found this gem on a k-12 site

"In reptiles, egg fertilization occurs internally when the male places his sperm inside eggs within the female’s body. "

Every female is different, in all animals!! There are so many variables that could change a females ovulation cycle....God only knows.... just be thankful chams don't go through menopause....or do they...?

Thanks everyone! I have gleened from other threads that the female will slow down or stop eating for a couple days when about to lay? Is that true?

Does she slow down in eating, but increase in a sort of manic activity?

Clarice is a weirdo, but in my case she absolutely gets manic for a few weeks before hand. I assume she is “hot to trot” and is looking for a mate. She’s crazy to the point she desperately wants out, but when you open the cage she becomes extremely territorial and reclusive! She is currently acting this way again and flashing bright, but not receptive colors. Mooooooooooody!

Then she flashed receptive colors for a week or two, and then finally laid. From the moment her behavior starts to change, her appetite decreases and she is more focused on getting out of her cage. As she got closer to laying, her appetite decreased even more and she spent most of her time at the bottom of the enclosure looking for good spots.

This has been my experience with her. She may have started early due to a male being in the house, as well? She doesn’t have line of sight but they do occassionally catch a glimpse
Of each other.

Back
Top Bottom