What age do female panthers become receptive?

stugotz13

Established Member
Today, #1 was a color I never saw before. She is 5 months now. Just wondering if this is a sign I should get a laying bin ready? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200125_132937.jpg
    20200125_132937.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 307
There are many factors that play a part in a panther reaching sexual maturity. They can include: Temperatures, diet frequency and amount, supplement regimen, lighting, genetics, and I am sure many other factors.

I have had several show receptive color at 5 months(ish) and lay a first clutch at 7 months, give or take a week or two.

My suggestion is not to take a risk and go ahead and get a lay bin ready just in case, and get it in her enclosure no later than a month from now.

Much better safe than sorry, in my opinion. If she ignores it for several months, it hasn't hurt anything.

There are many factors that play a part in a panther reaching sexual maturity. They can include: Temperatures, diet frequency and amount, supplement regimen, lighting, genetics, and I am sure many other factors.

I have had several show receptive color at 5 months(ish) and lay a first clutch at 7 months, give or take a week or two.

My suggestion is not to take a risk and go ahead and get a lay bin ready just in case, and get it in her enclosure no later than a month from now.

Much better safe than sorry, in my opinion. If she ignores it for several months, it hasn't hurt anything.

Thank you for the advice. Would you say she is showing "receptive" colors in this picture?

From my experience, and I can't speak for others with differing opinions and/or experience, I would say no. That looks to me more like dominance posturing or startle response.

Have you made any recent changes to her enclosure or the room it's in?

When my females show receptive coloration, there is usually a bright peach or red color in the body and not all brown anymore.

From my experience, and I can't speak for others with differing opinions and/or experience, I would say no. That looks to me more like dominance posturing or startle response.

Have you made any recent changes to her enclosure or the room it's in?

When my females show receptive coloration, there is usually a bright peach or red color in the body and not all brown anymore.

No changes. She only puffed up when the "Monster" camera appeared. Thank you for your response, everyone here is always so helpful and kind.

My girls both colored up around 5 months with their adult colors, or at least, the tell tale peach and pink colors female panthers typically display.

They can lay at any point past 6 months or so.

So this is old, but figured I could add some useful information.

I place a "laybin" in all my females cages from the moment I have them. It's nothing more than a giant plant pot that holds their main tree.

As for age, I had a girl scoot from her cage into one of my males cages when I had to run and grab him from the free range. I didn't notice she moved in and by the time I realized what happened they had linked up. When she (successfully) laid her first fertile clutch, she was right at 5 months. I was super concerned about her being so young, but I assume she was willing as it wasn't the first time I've had chams mate and she seemed "willing". She laid the clutch early December.

That said, every cham is different. I try and keep my cham room as close to "natural" habitat as possible. Luckily I live in Florida and can just pop a few windows and relax. In other climates where you have a true winter, I'd assume growth and development is slower. [Key word, assume].

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have mated her so young, but that just personal preference. She would've said eggs regardless of mating.

My panther girls at 8-9 months seem so tiny compared to my adult males! I’ll assess them at 12 months but I think i may be waiting a bit longer.

Last edited:
My panther girls at 8-9 months seem so tiny compared to my adult males! I’ll access them at 12 months but I think i may be waiting a bit longer.
To be fair, this girl went from the size of my index finger (maybe even pinky) to "sub adult" body in like 2 weeks. From there she turned into the typical tree cow - all about the girth. I knew she was going to be having eggs early, I just didn't want her first lay to be a fertile clutch. She knew what to do like a pro however!

She grew big, fast. Definitely not a typical growth rate. Her father was a big WC daddy though... good genes!

To be fair, this girl went from the size of my index finger (maybe even pinky) to "sub adult" body in like 2 weeks. From there she turned into the typical tree cow - all about the girth. I knew she was going to be having eggs early, I just didn't want her first lay to be a fertile clutch. She knew what to do like a pro however!

She grew big, fast. Definitely not a typical growth rate. Her father was a big WC daddy though... good genes!

I keep waiting for that growth spurt with my girls. Overall they just seem tinier than the veileds were at the same age. In due time!

Chameleons are a natural animal, each are unique with their own personality traits growth & development rates, a chameleons life is relatively short 5 - 9 years...so I don't think it is so uncommon at 5 months yours went receptive.....a receptive cham is very pink, very obvious when they are receptive , keeping a male out of line of sight will prolong the females reproductive cycle

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom