Wesley was lost outside for a week having the time of his life. I FINALLY FOUND HIM

i really messed up here and feel like the luckiest idiot in the world right now. Wesley was gone for a week, in a wooded area, next to a much BIGGER wooded area with many hawks. i am in MA. this could have been bad. but after a week straight of searching day and night, sobbing, climbing trees, falling, ripping up bushes, and looking completely insane as neighbors watched me climb trees at night with a headlamp in tears, literally covered in bruises and cuts from all my frenzied tree climbing, i finally got him back.

so basically i thought it would be a good idea to let him hang in a tree in the yard of my parents' tree-surrounded house while visiting. i live in the city so he never gets to live like that. tree i put him in didnt touch other trees, provided great leaf cover, and both shady and sunny spots. he was so happy. i was within view of him, but not close enough, or attentive enough. working on my comp, checking him up close every 20 min. but one time i let a little more time go by - about 45 min, without checking. i know- it wasnt my smartest moment. no wes. no wes in the surrounding area. no wes on the ground. the search continued into the night.

2 sightings were made the next days, both VERY high up...tree pictured here (may look climbable but is very not). ALSO its a drought here right now and there has not been a lick of rain this whole time. i sprayed everything w a hose 2x daily (i also feel horrible about that bc the environment), with the help of my mom, who took over the spraying while i went home to my apartment for 2 days mid week to give my cockatiel some more out of cage time and SLEEP. i think the hosing is what saved his life from dehydration.

today, exactly 1 week from the day he got lost, i was spraying the area and it must have spooked him bc he popped out of a bush (one that id looked thru inside and out just before) and he started climbing pictured branch..up a HUGE tree.. i thought i was imaginging it bc i havent slept, but there he was. he was angry to be back at first, but now he has settled back in and is sleeping like a little angel in his pj's back in his big cage at my house. but this is really thanks to my amazing mom for continuing the spraying, and our relentless searching. to anyone else who loses their cham outside, do not give up...and do not lose hope. they are VERY GOOD AT HIDING, obviously..but that also means very hard for predators to catch. so they are prob alive out there and u cannot lose hope.

*photo 3 -him acting sketchy pre-losing him (WHY DID I WALK AWAY?)
*photo 4 - first sighting

Attachments

• image_6483441.JPG
    image_6483441.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 126
  • tree he was sighted in.JPG
    tree he was sighted in.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 129
  • image_123986672 (1).JPG
    image_123986672 (1).JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 129
  • image_123986672 (3).JPG
    image_123986672 (3).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 138
Luckily, you found him again and definitely lucky you. I can only say for the future, 1 minute unintended is enough for them to get away. They constantly observe us and when they see that our eyes are staring in another direction or on the screen, they take their chance. I take my chams outside once a week and I also learned the hard lesson and that F$$% phone will distract us always and they know it. But, not all chams are that way, I could leave my parson all day unintended in a tree and she wont leave it, however there´s always that one day that will be different as with my k. boehmei.

Long story short, good he´s back(y)

Omg you are SO lucky! Your writing is very comedic, I enjoyed it (not laughing at your situation ofc!) haha! I’m so glad you got him back. I only ever bring mine outside in an extra Reptibreeze that I take outside and put a plant and some sticks in. Just makes me feel more comfortable and even though I’m sitting right there, I am able to get distracted for a minute or two and not get worried. In those trees, I never would have found him!

Luckily, you found him again and definitely lucky you. I can only say for the future, 1 minute unintended is enough for them to get away. They constantly observe us and when they see that our eyes are staring in another direction or on the screen, they take their chance. I take my chams outside once a week and I also learned the hard lesson and that F$$% phone will distract us always and they know it. But, not all chams are that way, I could leave my parson all day unintended in a tree and she wont leave it, however there´s always that one day that will be different as with my k. boehmei.

So happy you got your baby back! I'm very happy for you!

yeah i think this experience definitely taught me that wes can be sneaky and never to underestimate him and how much he observes / waits til im not looking! 😄

Omg you are SO lucky! Your writing is very comedic, I enjoyed it (not laughing at your situation ofc!) haha! I’m so glad you got him back. I only ever bring mine outside in an extra Reptibreeze that I take outside and put a plant and some sticks in. Just makes me feel more comfortable and even though I’m sitting right there, I am able to get distracted for a minute or two and not get worried. In those trees, I never would have found him!
yes, that is defintiely how im gonna have to do it in the future. he just loved being outside so much, it just made me consider how i can give him that experience in the future MINUS the whole getting lost part. so i will definitely do it this way next time

Back
Top Bottom