Well Baby Check Up

Dabugman

I have a 5-6 month ambilobe. Do any of you take your cham in to the vet just for a physical when there are no signs of a problem, just to be sure the little guy is, in fact, OK? Or would the trip there be more stressful than the benefit? Maybe just run a fecal instead?

Some people will take them in even if they are healthy looking. Personally, I think the stress on them taking them in is not worth it. Not to mention I am not going to spend the money taking in what appears to be a perfectly healthy chameleon. Getting a fecal done is a different story because you just need to take in the poop and the tests are inexpensive.

Some people will take them in even if they are healthy looking. Personally, I think the stress on them taking them in is not worth it. Not to mention I am not going to spend the money taking in what appears to be a perfectly healthy chameleon. Getting a fecal done is a different story because you just need to take in the poop and the tests are inexpensive.

I completely agree with Cain. Very stressful to find nothing. I take fecals in regularly.

Im taking my veiled to the vets tomorrow just for a check up. I havent had him long and just want to make sure everything is ok

I can go with a one time vet visit after you get a w/c but as a general rule, not unless there is a reason. But fecals? yes that is required, just for my comfort.

There's probably not a whole lot the vet can really look for anyway if they're not showing problems. Even experienced reptile vets pretty much just look at them and say 'looks healthy' unless there's a fairly obvious problem. It's not like dogs since they can't take temp, or heart rate or anything like that. They may talk to you about husbandry, which would be good, but we can probably help you with that instead. And like others have said, fecals are always good to check! But you don't have to take your little cham for that.

There's probably not a whole lot the vet can really look for anyway if they're not showing problems. Even experienced reptile vets pretty much just look at them and say 'looks healthy' unless there's a fairly obvious problem. It's not like dogs since they can't take temp, or heart rate or anything like that. They may talk to you about husbandry, which would be good, but we can probably help you with that instead. And like others have said, fecals are always good to check! But you don't have to take your little cham for that.

I agree! Itwas, if your cham is showing no symptoms and appears healthy then I would not stress it out with a vet visit. The most they will do is check for grip, look inside the mouth and just give an over all outward check. Easily done yourself with much less time and money invested. They could take blood work but again, with a healthy appearing animal it will just cause a lot of unneeded stress. A vet may want you to bring in the animal before they will start taking just fecals. I would ask this first. If they dont need to see the animal I would just take a fecal sample to them.

Thanks everybody...you confirmed my thoughts on this. I have a wonderful vet who specializes in reptiles and exotic animals and I have taken him my leopard tortoise from time to time for check ups over the last 15 years, where he gets his beak trimmed, so there is at least something done when we visit. I'll do a fecal on my cham in a few months and let it go at that.

I don't take my guy out for "handling"--only when necessary to clean--so I understand the need to try to avoid stressing him and just let him be. I moved his cage outside for a few hours for the first time yesterday. I suppose that was also somewhat stressful, but exposure to sunsine had to be a net good for him.

Back
Top Bottom