Welcoming the New Arrival - Unboxing!

mujino

Established Member
Look who just arrived today (don't panic, he was only in his shipping container for long enough to take a pic)...

This is a male Ambilobe at about 3 months old. Better pics, and details, to come soon! I just wanted to share the excitement. Here's his first pic!

IMG_7152.jpg

I’ve always thought it seemed a bit inhumane to transport chams like that, but I suppose there isn’t really a better way. Is it safe for them?

I’ve always thought it seemed a bit inhumane to transport chams like that, but I suppose there isn’t really a better way. Is it safe for them?

No one has ever got a "broken" one. 20 years of deli cups stuffed with paper towels. At least the chams get a stick, everyone else just gets a paper towel on the bottom and a paper towel on the top :p

For diurnal reptiles, it's usually fine—they just go to sleep until it gets light again.
My understanding is that the clear plastic is for any inspections (e.g. postal). Inspectors can see it's a live reptile vs. contraband without having to open the container risking escape or harm.

Thanks for sharing! Now I have a better idea of what to expect when the day comes. ?

For diurnal reptiles, it's usually fine—they just go to sleep until it gets light again.
My understanding is that the clear plastic is for any inspections (e.g. postal). Inspectors can see it's a live reptile vs. contraband without having to open the container risking escape or harm.

Thanks for sharing! Now I have a better idea of what to expect when the day comes. ?
Okay thanks, that makes me feel a bit better about it

Finally back for a status update. Day 1: so far this guy's eaten 4 silkworms and explored his area quite thoroughly. He snatched two silkies directly from the tongs, which was a pleasant surprise.

He's a little calmer, but I only got one more decent shot. However a blurry pic is better than none! You can really see the teal starting to show near his eye. I think he's going to have some great colors.

Congratulations! He’s a handsome boy. Where did you get him?

Thanks, jannb! He's from Chameleon Paradise one of the site sponsors. I'd tag them if I knew how ?

EDIT: actually attaching a photo.
Banging head on wall emoticon

Out and about.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally back for a status update. Day 1: so far this guy's eaten 4 silkworms and explored his area quite thoroughly. He snatched two silkies directly from the tongs, which was a pleasant surprise.

He's a little calmer, but I only got one more decent shot. However a blurry pic is better than none! You can really see the teal starting to show near his eye. I think he's going to have some great colors.

Thanks, jannb! He's from Chameleons Only - one of the site sponsors. I'd tag them if I knew how ?

EDIT: actually attaching a photo.
Banging head on wall emoticon

View attachment 267182
Congrats! Nice cham! Dam and sire?

well, if you look at the options, a snake bag would not work because they're arboreal and hate to be restrained, covered or touched so that's probably the worst option. as mentioned above, there's always the opaque container but as mentioned above that risks the chameleon getting lost if someone opens it in an inspection and then there's the clear cup option which imo is the best because the container is a tight fit to the box reducing the risk of the chameleon getting banged from being in a snake bag lol that's just my take on it :)

Congrats! Nice cham! Dam and sire?

I was hoping someone would ask :). He has some vivid RBBBs in his lineage. I can't wait for his colors to start showing!

Sire: Red Primo Jr.
Dam's Sire: Diablo Rojo
Dam: Candy II (no pic)

Attachments

• Dam_Lineage_DiabloRojo.jpg
    Dam_Lineage_DiabloRojo.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Sire_RedPrimoJr.jpg
    Sire_RedPrimoJr.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom