Weird yellowish spot on Veiled Chameleon

Cigaraym

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out what these spots mean. I barely noticed them on my chameleon (Meli) yesterday, I've had Meli for a year now and I have never seen these on her before.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 10.56.44 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 10.56.44 AM.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 170
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 10.56.45 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 10.56.45 AM.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 176
Have you made any recent changes to the viv? Chams aren't the best at realizing how hot they are getting. You may have seen her hanging around with her mouth open more often recently. Check her basking zone temps. You may want to lower her branches or suspend her lighting fixtures higher off the top of the viv.

Nothing alarming at this point, keep an eye on it for the next few days. Need a pic of entire viv. When was the last time she laid?

I will get you a picture of the viv as soon as can. The last time that she laid eggs was September 7th, and I moved her branch a little closer to the heat lamp. I started noticing that she would move away from the lamp and onto the top corner of the cage, so I lowered the branch to its original spot.

Nothing alarming at this point, keep an eye on it for the next few days. Need a pic of entire viv. When was the last time she laid?

The temperature in her cage during the day is around 85 at the bottom and 90-95 on her basking spot; it lowers to 65-70 at night. I mist 2-4 times a day, she has a dripper that I leave on while I'm gone sometimes. Her cage is always open and she has easy access to the window, which gets the afternoon sun and gets cooler at night. Sometimes she'll sleep on a branch in the window, or just stay there soaking up the sun during the day.

The first picture shows where Meli is sleeping, and that's the top corner I mentioned earlier. The branch that's right underneath the heat lamp is already back to its original position since I did that yesterday after assuming her yellow spot might have been a burn.

Any other recommendations you guys might have are welcome, and if there's anything I should change/improve, please let me know.

Thank you all!!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 8.10.16 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 8.10.16 PM.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 158
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 8.11.03 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-10-28 at 8.11.03 PM.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 158
Yeah that branch is way too close, basking should be 85 or less. Unfortunately that most likely means that the spots are indeed burns. Very common mistake rookie keepers make, no offense.

How are you supplying UVB? UVB is blocked by glass.

She needs way more live foliage in there, she will feel more secure.
Agreed, SIGNIFICANTLY more foliage. A chameleons #1 defense against predation is its ability to blend in and stay hidden. Obviously your Cham doesn’t really have to worry about predation too much but they can’t override their instinct. Ideally you should have to actually look for your Cham for a couple of seconds when approaching the viv. Not all the time but occasionally. You should also try to build in one place where you cham can go and be completely hidden. This is for their comfort but the foliage I mentioned previously is for their health.

By having lots of foliage and branches of various thicknesses you are creating different gradients for your cham to move into and out of at will to meet their bodily needs. Start by placing a couple larger plants in your viv and connect them with a few branches. Then backfill the other gaps with smaller plants and connect them to your bigger plants with more branches. What gaps you have remaining should be filled with a few branches here and there so your Cham can access these areas as well. It’s a balancing act, you will need to play with it a bit, careful to not congest the viv by jamming too much in there.

To review:

-To a Cham, foliage and hiding spots = security.

-Think of the plants as towns/cities and the branches as the roads that connect them.

-Remember, empty space in a viv = wasted space.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/bioactive-mentor.167174/

Ballpark density goal:

A75ADF2D-9566-4351-B81D-53E1ABE02A04.jpeg
4085E012-5611-4759-BF0F-1442C2E64B68.jpeg
CACBDA45-E9E7-459F-B467-41DA780A86AF.jpeg
89E6ABCD-8FFF-4AD0-9F09-8D47F3FCB9E8.jpeg

No offense was taken, she does have a hibiscus, but I moved it out of the cage because it just couldn't stay alive.
I appreciate you taking the time to go over all of this information. Looks like I have some homework to do :)

Back
Top Bottom