Weird Bump on Eyelid

This is Cosmo, he’s about a year and three months old, male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. Over the past few months I’ve noticed a bump on his left eye, I’ve tried to do my own research but I haven’t found anyone with the same kind of bump. It started gaining size around September but looking at old pictures I can see where it was there but only as a tiny white dot that I never though twice about. It doesnt seem to bother him much, I’ve seen him scratch at it with his back foot once or twice and rub it on a branch maybe once but that’s about it. I’ve heard it could be an infection, irritation, cyst, tumor, calcium deposit, but I’m not sure. I’m scared to take him to the vet bc Im worried they would want to put him under anesthesia for a biopsy, and it would suck to do that to him just to be told it’s nothing to worry about. If anybody can help Cosmo an I would greatly appreciate it!!

Attachments

• FDFF4341-24A1-41AD-84D0-84F269055310.jpeg
    FDFF4341-24A1-41AD-84D0-84F269055310.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 356
  • F729E2E3-F3C3-4061-B409-985F5E264D36.jpeg
    F729E2E3-F3C3-4061-B409-985F5E264D36.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 354
This is Cosmo, he’s about a year and three months old, male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. Over the past few months I’ve noticed a bump on his left eye, I’ve tried to do my own research but I haven’t found anyone with the same kind of bump. It started gaining size around September but looking at old pictures I can see where it was there but only as a tiny white dot that I never though twice about. It doesnt seem to bother him much, I’ve seen him scratch at it with his back foot once or twice and rub it on a branch maybe once but that’s about it. I’ve heard it could be an infection, irritation, cyst, tumor, calcium deposit, but I’m not sure. I’m scared to take him to the vet bc Im worried they would want to put him under anesthesia for a biopsy, and it would suck to do that to him just to be told it’s nothing to worry about. If anybody can help Cosmo an I would greatly appreciate it!!

Some info:

Hey there!

So you should never be afraid to take your chams to the vet. If they are a good vet and insist Euthanizing an animal is the best course of action is because the quality of life of the animal is in such dire straights that you aren't recovering it. Letting it live would be so harmful to the animal that you aren't doing it a favor by letting it live. They should have the best interest of the animal at heart. With that said, please fill this out with all the information possible to help everyone see what might be going on:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Regardless of what we think though, a vet visit is always the best option.

Cosmo is a very handsome boy! I really recommend a vet though. Vets are trained for this stuff and it's never a bad idea. Some vets charge as little as 54 dollars for a check up which seems like a pretty good deal to me! Keep us updated!

chameleon info:
•male ambilobe panther chameleon, 15 months old
•i handle him every day, he loves being out of his cage, i take him outside a lot as well
•mainly crickets and super worms, I had been dusting most of the time i fed him but lately have been doing less, every two times, calcium and vitamins
•he has a dripper and i spray his cage 5-6 times a day for about 45 seconds to a minute usually
•usually fine and often, brown and a lil white, he’s never been tested for parasites

cage type:
•screen 24x24x48
• Zoo Med, 100 watt daylight and 5.0 UVB bulb, i have it set in a way where he can’t get right against it from the inside of his cage
•basking spot is about 85-90, ambient is about 65-70, i’ve never measured the cage floor, but we live in florida so i don’t worry too much about him being too cold
•himidity is usually around 50-70 during the day, around 35-40 at night
•i have a pretty big jasmine tree in his cage and pothos plants at the bottom
•next to a window, used to be in front of it, i take him outside a lot too
•We live in Florida so the temperature is usually perfect

He has a small ish bump on the top of his eyelid, it’s been there for a while when I look back but it was just a small dot that I never noticed as anything weird until it started growing around September. He never bothers with it much

chameleon info:
•i handle him every day, he loves being out of his cage, i take him outside a lot as well
•mainly crickets and super worms, I had been dusting most of the time i fed him but lately have been doing less, every two times, calcium and vitamins
•he has a dripper and i spray his cage 5-6 times a day for about 45 seconds to a minute usually
•usually fine and often, brown and a lil white, he’s never been tested for parasites

cage type:
•screen 24x24x48
• Zoo Med, 100 watt daylight and 5.0 UVB bulb, i have it set in a way where he can’t get right against it from the inside of his cage
•basking spot is about 85-90, ambient is about 65-70, i’ve never measured the cage floor, but we live in florida so i don’t worry too much about him being too cold

He has a small ish bump on the top of his eyelid, it’s been there for a while when I look back but it was just a small dot that I never noticed as anything weird until it started growing around September. He never bothers with it much
Your set up seems good. How old is the UVB BULB?

Hey there!

So you should never be afraid to take your chams to the vet. If they are a good vet and insist Euthanizing an animal is the best course of action is because the quality of life of the animal is in such dire straights that you aren't recovering it. Letting it live would be so harmful to the animal that you aren't doing it a favor by letting it live. They should have the best interest of the animal at heart. With that said, please fill this out with all the information possible to help everyone see what might be going on:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Jesus I said anesthesia not euthanasia
Hey there!

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Okay welp I said anesthesia not euthanasia but thank you?

chameleon info:

cage type:
•screen 24x24x48

Curious, does he ever close his eye that has the bump for long periods of time? It might be a good idea just to get it tested just in case it is a growth, specially since you did say it was smaller before.

Also sorry about the confusion! Late night lol... Even if they put the cham under to do a biopsy, they will use the correct dosage. Your cham should be fine during the procedure.

Curious, does he ever close his eye that has the bump for long periods of time? It might be a good idea just to get it tested just in case it is a growth, specially since you did say it was smaller before.
I think I have seen him do that a couple of times over a long period of time, not often though. I probably am going to end up taking him to a vet soon

Also sorry about the confusion! Late night lol... Even if they put the cham under to do a biopsy, they will use the correct dosage. Your cham should be fine during the procedure.
oh no worries! thank ya for answering. I’m just a worried mom lmao

Cosmo is a very handsome boy! I really recommend a vet though. Vets are trained for this stuff and it's never a bad idea. Some vets charge as little as 54 dollars for a check up which seems like a pretty good deal to me! Keep us updated!
I actually found one that does exams for about the same, it’s what they would want to do after that worries me, but I most likely plan on taking him soon

oh no worries! thank ya for answering. I’m just a worried mom lmao

I've been there, done that, and continue to do that. The minute I see something off I'm setting off alarms, lol. I definitely would get it checked if you have seen him close that eye like that, even if it isn't frequent. It could be a sign that keeping it open might be painful as it pushes on the bump. Growths like that are really hard to identify without a professional. Do what I did when I picked out a vet and look through here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/area-by-area-country-vet-list.32880/

That is a vet list of people who know their stuff. They will definitely take care of your baby.

I've been there, done that, and continue to do that. The minute I see something off I'm setting off alarms, lol. I definitely would get it checked if you have seen him close that eye like that, even if it isn't frequent. It could be a sign that keeping it open might be painful as it pushes on the bump. Growths like that are really hard to identify without a professional. Do what I did when I picked out a vet and look through here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/area-by-area-country-vet-list.32880/

That is a vet list of people who know their stuff. They will definitely take care of your baby.
thank you so much!! i’ll look into it

A bump like that I feel calls for a vet visit. I recommend finding a vet in your area that has had experience with chameleons specifically (if possible) rather than a vet that is cheap. That bump looks like some sort of viral or bacterial infection but only a vet would be able to confirm with proper testing. Could be nothing, could be something... best to be safe about it though lol

A bump like that I feel calls for a vet visit. I recommend finding a vet in your area that has had experience with chameleons specifically (if possible) rather than a vet that is cheap. That bump looks like some sort of viral or bacterial infection but only a vet would be able to confirm with proper testing. Could be nothing, could be something... best to be safe about it though lol
Yes that was my plan! I’ve been doing some research about exotic vets around me but I want to pick the right one before scheduling an appointment. definitely worth the peace of mind

Dies he gave any more elsewhere on his body? My little Carpet cham had the Papilloma virus that caused a large growth on top of his head. I would definitely recommend a vet visit.

Dies he gave any more elsewhere on his body? My little Carpet cham had the Papilloma virus that caused a large growth on top of his head. I would definitely recommend a vet visit.
poor thing!! no he doesn’t have anything else, other than that i think he’s a super healthy lil guy

Back
Top Bottom