Weighing the pros & cons of taking cham outside...

diananana

Hey everyone,

Now that the weather here in Boston is nice and hot, I've begun taking my 3 year old veiled chameleon, Nifty, outside to get some real sun. I only began handling him for the first time earlier this month (before, he lived in his cage 100% of the time). What makes me concerned is how stressed handling appears to make him. Getting him out of his cage is pretty easy and pain-free (luring him over with a feeder and having him walk onto either a hand-held stick or my actual hand). But as soon as I have him out of his cage, he looks so scared and defensive :( He either puffs up and gets super aggressive with hissing, or he gets tiny and dark and looks absolutely terrified.

He seems very happy when he's outside (I put him on a tree in half sun, half shade, and supervise him). His colors are great, he explores the tree a little and then basks in the sun. It's been consistently in the mid 80s, and I feel like it's really beneficial to get him the fresh air and real sunlight.

But then, once I try to take him back inside, he gets terrified/aggressive again. I try to make the transit portion from his cage to the tree and back as quick and painless as possible, but I am concerned that the stress I'm causing him on the brief walk over might be outweighing the benefits of going out. Should I continue taking him out, or should I leave him be? Thanks for any advice (y)

As long is your transitions are brief, the natural sun is always worth a little stress. Hopefully, with some repetition, this process may get easier.

I'm no expert on chameleon stress, but I doubt a brief walk from cage to outside and visa versa will cause any problems.

He should get more and more comfortable the more you take him outside. My veiled hated me, but started slowly realizing that me taking him out of his cage meant a good thing was about to happen. As soon as I get him out of his cage he calms right down (usually). When it's time to come back inside he hates it, but I just think of him as being a kid not wanting to go to bed in the summer.

Just please be careful since he's out in the open in a tree, and watch him carefully - a large bird could swoop down and grab him in the blink of an eye, it's happened on this forum before. However, that shouldn't dissuade you from giving him the natural UVB that he needs, just a little word of warning. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice and answers everyone :) I used the idea of taking him on a leafier stick rather than my hand and he seemed more comfortable. I will be using a cage outside starting in just a few days! I just purchased a bigger cage and once it's all set up, his current smaller enclosure will be moved outside.

I have a screen enclosure, and when I take my cham out each day I just take the lights off and pick up and move the entire enclosure outside. I try to avoid handling him as much as possible (even though I have to administer oral meds daily) and he doesn't seem to mind I've never been hissed at or shown any negativity ever since I got him as a youngling. He's very sweet, I'm lucky. But anyways I feel that's the least stressful for him and he can still be in the comfort of his enclosure, and safe from getting lost or worrying about something snatching him up.

Back
Top Bottom