Weighing Amaro

Ares05

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just got a poop sample from Amaro this morning, and will run down to the vet tomorrow morning to get It tested because I haven't gotten a fecal for him yet. Basically I need tips on how i'm going to get him out and weigh him, and do it accurately and stress him out as little as possible. He hates me with almost every fiber in his body, he's a very sassy boy.

Edit: lemme clarify, Im weighing him at my house so if he needs medication they can dose him accurately, but if they ask me to bring him in (if he has parasites) i obviously will. His body condition is fine, its not like hes obviously sick lol

You'll want a food scale and some sort of plant or stick you can coax him onto. And then tare out the scale and place the plant onto the scale and Ta-da! Or if you're using a stick, put it into a pot of dirt and then put that on the scale.

(I actually have a video all about this dropping next week, stay tuned)

Okay so right as you posted that I did it it anyways. He s 4 - 4 1/2 months old, 4 inches nose to vent (about) and 40 grams.

I tried using a stick to get him onto but that didn't work. I basically set my hand below him and as he wa trying to hiss at me, he kind of ambled onto my arm in the process, slowly set him onto his stick all mad, and then I put him back.

Oh, and I had another quick question. Say he were to need medicine of some sort, administered by mouth, how would I go about doing that without him injuring himself in the process of trying to get away from me, hissing, biting, jumping, ect ect?

Last edited:
Have you been trying to get him used to you and your hands ie: hand feeding? I hold the cup o’ bugs at every feeding and with things like silkworms, I just put those on the back of my hand and slowly move nearer until she can get it.

he's kinda okay with me in the room, not okay with me getting closer than 5 feet and moving around. bonding is a slow process with him lol.

Oh, and I had another quick question. Say he were to need medicine of some sort, administered by mouth, how would I go about doing that without him injuring himself in the process of trying to get away from me, hissing, biting, jumping, ect ect?
Some meds can be injected - into the cham or feeders. They also make a "syringe" with a rubber nipple, much like a baby bottle, to allow them to bite down and still get the medicine in.

Otherwise, get a good pair of gloves and a firm, but not aggressively so, grip. I'd use a nice leather work glove to allow for the maximum padding if he were to want to bite you. I have a WC female panther who is quite feisty, but I just use a thinner work glove. She's all show, and from what research I've done, a bite is not instinctive for chams (at least panthers).

I'm sure your vet will go over all of this and some vets will even do injections/feedings with you to show you how to properly do it. (Or at least the tech will).

Best wishes!

Edit: Do keep in mind that if it comes down to it, the meds aren't exactly a suggestion. Its usually a "life saving" deal. Respect, not fear!

He is a veiled. I have held him before a few times ( not for fun lol) and he is usually very angry at first and then calms down but is obviously scared. Im waiting for him to poop today and then ill take it to the vet, I want it fresh as possible. I don't think hes got parasites but if he does I want to know how in heck i'm going to get the meds into him lol.

He will come out when i'm in the room, and eat when when i'm in the room. But if I get up and get closer to his cage, he goes onto a thicker branch and does the 'lean' so hes behind it, and he thinks I cant see him. If I get my hand close, his doesn't hiss, but will lean away. If I touch him, sometimes he will lean away and stare at me, sometimes he will hiss, and then he will walk off into the depths of his plants, then come back out after I've sat down in the room 4-5 feet away. If I pick him up he hisses and will sometimes try to bite, then will calm down and just cling to my hand until I put him down again.

I make sure he sees me prepare his food, put in the cup, and then into his cage. Ive tried offering him his favorite treat (hornworms) in my hand. (keep in mind the whole time his cage is ever opened, he's doing the "lean behind a branch" thing) he just leaned away and stared at it, and then looked at me, so I just tossed It in his dish for him to get later.

Since he doesn't hand feed, I wouldn't be able to use the feeder method of giving medicine. I don't want him to hate me even more if I have to give him meds lol.

He is a veiled. I have held him before a few times ( not for fun lol) and he is usually very angry at first and then calms down but is obviously scared. Im waiting for him to poop today and then ill take it to the vet, I want it fresh as possible. I don't think hes got parasites but if he does I want to know how in heck i'm going to get the meds into him lol.

He will come out when i'm in the room, and eat when when i'm in the room. But if I get up and get closer to his cage, he goes onto a thicker branch and does the 'lean' so hes behind it, and he thinks I cant see him. If I get my hand close, his doesn't hiss, but will lean away. If I touch him, sometimes he will lean away and stare at me, sometimes he will hiss, and then he will walk off into the depths of his plants, then come back out after I've sat down in the room 4-5 feet away. If I pick him up he hisses and will sometimes try to bite, then will calm down and just cling to my hand until I put him down again.

I make sure he sees me prepare his food, put in the cup, and then into his cage. Ive tried offering him his favorite treat (hornworms) in my hand. (keep in mind the whole time his cage is ever opened, he's doing the "lean behind a branch" thing) he just leaned away and stared at it, and then looked at me, so I just tossed It in his dish for him to get later.

Since he doesn't hand feed, I wouldn't be able to use the feeder method of giving medicine. I don't want him to hate me even more if I have to give him meds lol.
From personal experience my Cham had parasites when I first got him and he absolutely hated me. He was too small to medicate so I had to wait. When he got big enough I had to physically handle him because he would not hand feed. I ended up having to put him in a towel to give meds orally. He’s fine and healthy today and we have built back some trust. If it has to be done its hard to avoid pissing them off lol. Hopefully, yours will be parasite free so YOU can avoid the trauma Lol. Definitely more traumatic for me than him lol!

I asked if he was veiled as my vet taught me a neat trick with them. They have a built in ‘handle’...their casque. I tried squirting her med in her mouth when she gaped at me and I think that worked a few times, but I was nervous about missing her esophagus and causing her to aspirate. Since it was just me and I lacked a 3rd hand, I put her down on a surface with my hand gently over her body and holding her casque so she couldn’t escape and then was able to give her med. It totally blew all of the trust I had built up with her but couldn’t be avoided. :( To try and ease her anger I gave her a treat. Not sure if she’s forgiven me yet, but we’re back to her having some trust in me and she’s parasite free.

Just dropped it off, they'll call and tell me if hes got anything. I am praying that he doesn't have anything. Hes right next to everyone else and if hes got something, its likely they might too. I don't want to have to rip apart, clean, put back together, repeat for everyones tanks and then all that medicine to pay for, ahh.

I had to man-handle amaro once to get a good look at his tail that I thought was broken. he forgave me within the week, so lets hope he'll forgive me if I have to shove medicine in his mouth

Back
Top Bottom