Weeping Fig Tree

I’ve been having the same problem. I need a tall tree or plant in my chams enclosure but cannot for the life of me find one! Been everywhere I can think of. Just don’t have them.

A mass cane is a type of dracaena and they are fairly easy to grow.
1625267287899.png

I have two money trees and two umbrella trees. The biggest I could find. i can’t find any hibiscus plants at all and it might be because I’m in Maine.

You might just have to make/buy/piece together from random objects a really tall stand for your plants until they grow in

I have a couple of mass canes (Dracaena fragrans). I like the look of them—they remind me of palm trees (even though there's no relation), but of course that's subjective. My chameleon likes to bask/hide/perch in the leaves and climb the trunks both ways. 🦎

Trees... (centerpiece plants)
The closest I've seen to what looks like a real "tree" is probably Weeping Fig ( Ficus benjamina ) or some bonsai trees (which can often run into some $$$)

Other plants that make good "centerpiece plants" include (but not limited to)
  • Umbrella Plant ( Schefflera arboricola )
  • Money Tree ( Pachira aquatica )
  • China Doll ( Radermachera sinica )
  • Hibiscus Tree ( Hibiscus sp. )
  • Rubber Tree ( Ficus elastica ) fragile
  • Dragon Tree ( Dracaena marginata )
  • Yucca Tree ( Yucca sp. )
  • Swiss Cheese Plant ( Monstera deliciosa )
  • Split Leaf Philodendron ( Monstera Borsigiana )
  • Madagascar Jasmine ( Stephanotis floribunda ) more of a woody vine, but can grow quite tall.
If you come across something else you like, you can always ask or try the archives.

Look at other types of dracaena. I have a couple of dracaena marginatas that were only about 1 1/2 - 2’ tall when I put them in my enclosures about a year ago. 6 months or so ago I had to lop the top off one as it was about to burst thru the top of my enclosure. The other one is needing a trim now too. While not branchy and good for climbing, it does offer lots of leaves, some color and fills the space nicely.
Have you asked at any of the nursery’s or home improvement stores if they can order any trees for you?

Forgot to add, if you have any friends or family that live more southern maybe they could express ship you a fairly decent sized plant or two. To save on shipping, it would be best to rinse all the soil and ship it bare root wrapped in moss or something to keep it moist.

Back
Top Bottom