Weather change and sleep patterns

BryanP

Avid Member
So I have a 18 month old male panther who up until today has been super active.

I've been waiting a week for dubias to come back in and I fed him last week two 1in (I'd say very large) gut loaded dubias.

Today he ate 8 dubias (also gut loaded over night with bug burger) and after that is where my issue comes.

He was active when I put his food in and then after he ate all his roaches he basically just sat under the heat lamp zone and had his tail curled and eyes closed.

The weather has changed from 80s outside to now I'm the 50s and overcast and windy. We keep the windows open and the house not climate controlled. 70s in his cage in the non basking area where he is hanging out.

I don't think he was fully "asleep" but he has been not active like he usually is crusing his cage all day.

Here are my cage and husbandry stats;

Zen habitats 4x2x2 cage
24in arcadia light
Heat lamp
Mist in the morning with lights on, a drench at 9am, and again at 6pm for seconds and mist over night a few times. All done with mist king.

I measure my humidity with a govee gauge and my UVB with a solarmeter.

Trying to think what else so if there is something I missed let me know.

Literally as soon as I posted this he started moving around with 6pm misting... I guess it was just a food coma!

Poor guy gave me a scare!

Off the top of my head I'd say that 8 dubias are a bit too much for your panther - how often do you feed? I can see him basking after a meal that size but he shouldn't be closing his eyes. Keep a close watch on him and cut back to 3-4 dubias every other day to see if the issue corrects itself. You can also fill out the Help Form just to make sure there's nothing else amiss beyond this cursory glance. Good luck!

Off the top of my head I'd say that 8 dubias are a bit too much for your panther - how often do you feed? I can see him basking after a meal that size but he shouldn't be closing his eyes. Keep a close watch on him and cut back to 3-4 dubias every other day to see if the issue corrects itself. You can also fill out the Help Form just to make sure there's nothing else amiss beyond this cursory glance. Good luck!
Been totally normal the last 2 days.

I feed him every 3rd day and feed him maybe 5 large dubias. He always eats them and I use a feeder shooting gallery so I know they are not escaping and hiding.

I closed the window by his cage and upped his basking bulb dimmer a bit since the temp has dropped and hes been active the last 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom