We seem to have a minor issue

Uri

Avid Member
My hoehnelii just started closing his eye only his right eye I have a vet that’s experienced especially with Jackson’s nearby and it’ll take a while to get a visit but it’s possible but what could it be to you guys? I know when listening to chameleon academy when talking about lateralis with Kevin lats would close one eye and it was a vitamin a deficiency could that be it here? It’s only his right eye but he eats and drinks well was hunting soldier flies and crickets earlier hasn’t changed his routine

Attachments

• 9A011DF6-8D8D-4763-956A-9F16DB9B36A5.jpeg
    9A011DF6-8D8D-4763-956A-9F16DB9B36A5.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 67
What level of UVB are you using?
At the top of the screen it’s 10 but he has never gone up there not even when settling in and at his branch 4-5 and the branch has 78-80 degrees from just a Uv and 6500k bulb

The same uvi is provided to my Jackson’s and he hasn’t had eye issues tho

My hoehnelii just started closing his eye only his right eye I have a vet that’s experienced especially with Jackson’s nearby and it’ll take a while to get a visit but it’s possible but what could it be to you guys? I know when listening to chameleon academy when talking about lateralis with Kevin lats would close one eye and it was a vitamin a deficiency could that be it here? It’s only his right eye but he eats and drinks well was hunting soldier flies and crickets earlier hasn’t changed his routine
How long since last shed?

How long since last shed?
It wasn’t too long ago I hadn’t kept track but it was about a month ago I’d say maybe a little longer he tends to shed very quickly before I even catch it in an explosion

Yes like his misting water but not distilled. There is saline eye solution you can get at the drug store. Don't use anything medicated but seriously R/O drinking water will be fine.

Yes like his misting water but not distilled. There is saline eye solution you can get at the drug store. Don't use anything medicated but seriously R/O drinking water will be fine.
Ill do this tomorrow as the lights went out about an hour ago I’ve ruled out vitamin deficiency for the most part I’ll add an extra dose of repashy calcium plus lod on a few crickets and the roaches will get Arcadia epa to see if that helps just in case it is vitamin a but it may be more of physical trauma I asked bill strand and it’s more likely to be that as the soldier flies in his cage bounce around a LOT when the misters go off or even the possibility of an infection which I will check tomorrow when feeding if his mouth is swelling I’ll keep you guys updated

Update it’s time for a vet visit this morning his other eye closed and he was hesitant to eat it’s a small change in behavior but it’s something so im going to schedule a visit for him it may be nothing but I’d rather be safe than sorry

Update nothing was found we are getting a fecal next week in hopes that we find something but my husbandry checked out and nothing was out of the ordinary for him I will say the vet REALLY made him angry but nothing in his eyes no mouth rot or anything it may be stress related I will add this vet does know their stuff and gave me a list of care sheets for the most common chameleons with lots of info on them and good links and honestly all the info looks really good I kinda expected they would’ve never seen a hoehnelii tho but understood the similarities to a Jackson’s

Last edited:
I’ll also add they prescribed carnivore syringe food but only if he goes a while without eating to keep him going if he goes downhill but the next step if a fecal

It’s weird because I keep my Jackson’s the same exact way right next to him with the same exact care and supplementation routine and he’s doing well the only difference will now be in switching this go over from repashy lod to herptivite also found out this isn’t their first hoehnelii but the others were all wild caughts

Oh to add he seems to be going into shed right now too his tail and feed have flakes right now
This is anecdotal, but I notice the one-eye-shut thing during a shed frequently. By all means, explore all possibilities, but keep in mind they do all sorts of things to help the shedding process. They rub their eyes on branches, gape and stretch their mouths and even use their feet to remove old skin.

This is anecdotal, but I notice the one-eye-shut thing during a shed frequently. By all means, explore all possibilities, but keep in mind they do all sorts of things to help the shedding process. They rub their eyes on branches, gape and stretch their mouths and even use their feet to remove old skin.
That’s a possibility but the closed eyes don’t seem to be anything physical I took him to the vet and he didn’t have anything stuck in them or any underlying disease no mouth rot nothing the next step there is a fecal and although he skipped one meal and it worried me due to his appetite I’m not going to say it’s a death sentence but cause for concern as he does have soldier flies emerge as well as isopods in the soil and fruit flies that hide behind his plants and come out on ocassion, it may also be a vitamin a deficiency that Sean mccneely theorizes or the possibility of parasites despite the fact my wild caughts are in seperate rooms and I take special precautions I will say I am glad I went to the vet to at least rule out certain possibilities and honestly it wasn’t even that expensive less than $100

That’s a possibility but the closed eyes don’t seem to be anything physical I took him to the vet and he didn’t have anything stuck in them or any underlying disease no mouth rot nothing the next step there is a fecal and although he skipped one meal and it worried me due to his appetite I’m not going to say it’s a death sentence but cause for concern as he does have soldier flies emerge as well as isopods in the soil and fruit flies that hide behind his plants and come out on ocassion, it may also be a vitamin a deficiency that Sean mccneely theorizes or the possibility of parasites despite the fact my wild caughts are in seperate rooms and I take special precautions I will say I am glad I went to the vet to at least rule out certain possibilities and honestly it wasn’t even that expensive less than $100
I’m glad Sean advised: he’s a smart guy, and has plenty of experience with Jax. And good on you for seeing the vet!

Back
Top Bottom