We Need To Do Better, We Can

I do think the carehsheets here that I have seen were better than the ones I got at the Store (and surprisingly) the Vet. However I do think there is a TON of opaque information that seems to require a ton of research (to your point). In particular around UVB exposure values targets.

I am a relatively new keeper, so I honestly am very interested in the caresheets you have mentioned and was just hoping for a link to improve my own knowledge. I did some googling and I am already a member of Bill Strand's Chameleon Breeder facebook group and I haven't seen the docs you mentioned yet, though I did reach his "First Chameleon E Book" of his. I am curious about the mention of the bee pollen and more detail about the night-time misting. Was that info perhaps from his Episode on Naturalistic Chameleon Hydration?

I don't disagree about the required heavy lifting to find the best information, but I was also hoping you could help provide some of the tools to improve, if you think they're out there?

Thanks!

Thanks I'll check that FB group out!
The caresheets are on Chameleon Enthusiasts facebook group in the files. I dont know how to link them. My post was a cry for help for those that dont have all the time in the world to visit forums, watch pod casts, join groups, read extensive and sometimes old literature in order to get the most essential husbandry needs correct. Seems everyone here is satisfied with the quality of the care sheets available.

But honestly, our caresheets are not perfect, and are not intended to be full resources. They are a great starting point for all levels of keepers. For newbies, it gives an idea of the challenge that lies ahead. For those who have a bit more experience it will be a check point to ensure we are not missing any details. For the more advanced keepers it is not only a great tool to refer people to, but a springboard into advanced methods.

For example, we give a basic supplement schedule, but I actually don't follow it. Rather than 3 different items, I use one every feeding. I will not usually bring that up with new keepers to avoid confusion. I also use a fogger at night, and mist during the day. I find this to be working great for my situation, but didn't always do it this way and was very successful. I have a blog about misting and will be adding a section on fogging soon. I think we should even refer to this method in the caresheets, or at least re-do the water resource to include more details ( @Brad , I can write it up if you would like ;)) but no one resource is ever going to contain every detail needed for success.

@Jennyontheblock , I don't disagree with you. We should always want the best resource available for everyone. Brad has a ton on his plate right now with the upgrade and species database going on, so if you (or any of you) have any specific ideas that you want looked at or expanded on in the caresheets just let me know and I will take a look. Who knows, we may just make it an even better resource :cool:!

Send me a PM with your ideas.

:geek: :bookworm:

The caresheets are on Chameleon Enthusiasts facebook group in the files. I dont know how to link them. My post was a cry for help for those that dont have all the time in the world to visit forums, watch pod casts, join groups, read extensive and sometimes old literature in order to get the most essential husbandry needs correct. Seems everyone here is satisfied with the quality of the care sheets available.

You're definitely not alone, I have been surprised by the amount of "side" research required, and the continued debate about certain topics. We've already spent a fair amount of $$ on items we thought we needed and then switched out for more appropriate products/approaches. The thing that I think I'm finding the most useful right now, is keeping a bunch of links together that all have the bits of partial information so I can sort of weave together a "super" caresheet out of a bunch of others. I'm waiting until I have blog-enabled features on the website and I plan to collect it all there for easy personal reference.

Why don’t we start a wiki that members can edit? It would allow thorough care sheets for every species but so much more. It would be searchable. It would allow citing sources. The information would be easily linkable here on the forums, and we could direct new members to it easily. This is a real step we could take right now. I would contribute and I know many other members who would as well. The helpful pages already here could be consolidated as a starting point.

There are many free wiki options but given how well this site is maintained I doubt it would be a difficult task for the webmaster to install a web app in this CMS.

What do you guys think?

Why don’t we start a wiki that members can edit? It would allow thorough care sheets for every species but so much more. It would be searchable. It would allow citing sources. The information would be easily linkable here on the forums, and we could direct new members to it easily. This is a real step we could take right now. I would contribute and I know many other members who would as well. The helpful pages already here could be consolidated as a starting point.

There are many free wiki options but given how well this site is maintained I doubt it would be a difficult task for the webmaster to install a web app in this CMS.

What do you guys think?

I personally love the idea of being able to have a bank of links in particular that were crowd-sourced via a wiki. I am sure all of us have found great external resources and it would save people a lot of time for nice pile of them in one place. I'd use it and I would certainly do my best to contribute to something like that.

As a nurse is see the smartest, most educated people who knows practically everything about the human body do the dumbest things and end up destroying their own health, wellness and ultimately their own lives! You can lead a horse.... Knowledge is nothing without drive, without ambition and without the practical hands on application of what one knows! Good intentions without knowledge is just as dangerous as knowledge without good intentions!

All the care sheets in the world won’t stop these issues. Thousands of chameleon “impulse buys” happen every week, and out of those thousands, a couple individuals care enough to fix their husbandry when their chameleon starts to fail.

This resonates with me quite a bit ... So glad I didn't purchase a chameleon when I decided I'd like one and have waited to make sure I can provide the level of care that they require.

like you said there is information it's important people can access it so they can act accordingly but when action is needed how many people can / will make the adjustments needed in their husbandry or enclosure to keep their chameleon thriving and not simply alive.

One big thing I've learned from the chameleon breeders podcasts is learning what stress and warning signs may be and the importance of getting ahead of an issue before it's too late.

For me It's been a few months of "homework" and research as well as talking to established keepers / breeders who are willing to share their experience with a novice keeper to help them avoid such posts as "Sick Cham please help" and after listening to all of the chameleon breeder podcasts as well as working on building a custom size enclosure 30*20*55 (as a home and having a zoomed xl that will function as a "vacation home" for time outside and natural light and to use while I clean the other ) getting the linear t5 uvb vs the compact and a mist king system vs trying to hand mist. I hope this has prepared me to bring home a chameleon (hoping to pick a baby male ambilobe from a local breeder this weekend)

This resonates with me quite a bit ... So glad I didn't purchase a chameleon when I decided I'd like one and have waited to make sure I can provide the level of care that they require.

like you said there is information it's important people can access it so they can act accordingly but when action is needed how many people can / will make the adjustments needed in their husbandry or enclosure to keep their chameleon thriving and not simply alive.

One big thing I've learned from the chameleon breeders podcasts is learning what stress and warning signs may be and the importance of getting ahead of an issue before it's too late.

For me It's been a few months of "homework" and research as well as talking to established keepers / breeders who are willing to share their experience with a novice keeper to help them avoid such posts as "Sick Cham please help" and after listening to all of the chameleon breeder podcasts as well as working on building a custom size enclosure 30*20*55 (as a home and having a zoomed xl that will function as a "vacation home" for time outside and natural light and to use while I clean the other ) getting the linear t5 uvb vs the compact and a mist king system vs trying to hand mist. I hope this has prepared me to bring home a chameleon (hoping to pick a baby male ambilobe from a local breeder this weekend)
Very proud of you!!!

my Dino is about a year and a half old. Sometimes I just don't know what to do. I have been misting by hand for all this time, and it is working for me. But when new ideas come out, such as a fogger during the night, I am nervous to change things up. I don't want to say if it's not broke, don't fix it, but that is what it feels like.:unsure:

Intresting thread here.....what makes this forum is....
Screenshot_2019-03-20-22-04-29-1.png

I don't think raising, keeping or breeding chameleons is a lazy mans or persons hobby or should be thought of as such. There are enough info on this website for anybody to properly care for their chameleons to thrive. Most everybodies living situation, geographical location is different, what works for somebody culture wise at 500 ft elevation is not going to work with somebody else at 5,000 feet, thats why you can't just jot down info......etc.... this is not a lazy persons hobby, it takes work to make it work for your situation. Most chams are private animals, for somebody to honor that requires love and generosity, so to be a successful keeper, that is also a requirement

Last edited:
Another thing to mention is caring for them, in your area. Here in ohio im not to worry about fire ants or my outdoor cages rotting due to humidity(or outdoor cages at all), in some other sections people worry how much air conditioning it will take to keep the air below 90...

Yep, this will be my first summer with a cham. Sometimes here in SC when it's over 100 and the heat index is much higher it is difficult for my ac unit to catch up. That coupled with the EXTREME humidity will definitely take changing things up a bit. Most days beginning in May you can't even walk outside without the temp & humidity in the air nearly soaking your clothes immediately! I love it here though. I wouldn't choose anywhere else to live...except maybe Alabama or Florida Keyes. Maybe Hawaii or Bahamas. I love it hot with white sandy beaches;)

@Jennyontheblock you're getting too hung up on the misting with basking on thing. While I agree that it's good to have them off during a misting, if you leave them on it won't make much of a difference. Your bulb shouldn't be heating the cage that much... the basking should be 80-90 depending on species. With proper ventilation the humidity and heat shouldn't be skyrocketing during one misting. This isn't going to cause an RI... what can cause an RI is prolonged exposure to heat and moisture. Depending on species, we're talking ambient temperatures of 80+ where the humidity is staying at like 80-90%+ for hours or days.... I'd really challenge the idea that anyone gave their chameleon an RI because their basking spot was 85 and they misted for 5 minutes.

If you take a look at people with sick chameleons and terrible husbandry, it's never because they thoroughly researched from credible sources that just gave them mixed up info... It's always impulse buys, where they listen to pet stores or other sources with little to no experience.

There will always be things to tweak, but they should be little things, not things that lead to a sick or dead chameleon within a short amount of time.

I agree with everything said above, but any pet whether is be furry, or scaly needs to be researched. Even the hardiest animals can be hurt if in incorrect conditions. Things like fish, reptiles, and rodents are often given to young children as "beginner" pets. I see people put their fish in bowls with no filtration or heat, and giving their iguanas that one day will get massive and be given away.this can even happen to dogs and cats. We need to educate others on the importance of properly caring for an animal. Just because it is not another human does not mean you can't give it the best life possible!

Back
Top Bottom