We did it!

hagmegsis

I had previously shared my issue with Pop-tart getting upset over feeding time. He would only eat free range. Any time myself or tweezers would get near him he would turn dark, hiss, and lunge. Last night and today we had a break through.

I reduced the amount of crickets I was feeding him by just a few. Then I offered him a tasty snack. A meal worm in the tweezers. He took it like a champ. He got a little excited and bit the tweezers too, :confused: Today I tried again, but in my hand; on a leaf though cause I'm a chicken :p

He got real big, but instead of turning dark his colors were beautiful. I just wanted to share this accomplishment. He seems to have gotten over the tissue incident unscathed.

Last edited:
:)

Attachments

• 20160519_094546-1.jpg
    20160519_094546-1.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 127
Thats awesome! I know exactly how you feel as my little veiled Lucy would run from me and turn dark when trying to hand feed. Like everyone will say and its true patience is a virtue. My little one now will come down and snatch supers from my hand. Shes not to keen on climbing on me yet and coming out but just take it step by step.

Keep at it and keep us posted!

Broken teeth from biting down on tweezers are invitations to infection. That's just a friendly warning, not a scold.
Good for you and being rewarded for your persistence.

Broken teeth from biting down on tweezers are invitations to infection. That's just a friendly warning, not a scold.
Good for you and being rewarded for your persistence.
why would you feed a chameleon where he did not use hit tongue from distance?

I could see needing to use tweezers that have no sharp angles on the tip though.

I don't feed with forceps. The OP stated the chameleon bit down on the tweezers, because owners often aren't prepared for the strength of the withdrawing tongue and the chameleon pulls the tweezers in and bites down, creating a recipe for infections in the bones and tissues of the mouth.

Any time myself or tweezers would get near him he would turn dark, hiss, and lunge.
That's a sign of chameleon being afraid,use ur finger or nothing at all,if he does bite then dont give him the treat,use the feeder as ur advantage to let him know u are in control,not him,until he realized he ain't getting any food if he keep on hissing!!

why would you feed a chameleon where he did not use hit tongue from distance?

I could see needing to use tweezers that have no sharp angles on the tip though.
I did offer it from a distance. He lunged at it as he flicked his tongue. I was on the opposite end of his terrarium. He's pretty quick for someone whose supposed to be slow.

I did offer it from a distance. He lunged at it as he flicked his tongue. I was on the opposite end of his terrarium. He's pretty quick for someone whose supposed to be slow.
Oh, forgot to mention they have no point. They're designed specifically for feeding bugs to reptiles. I got them at the pet store.

Update: Pop-Tart is no longer afraid of the tongs. He gets excited now. If I pull them out he runs to his feeding dish. If I offer him anything in the tongs he eats it; even veggies. It may not work for everyone, but it seems reducing his crickets by just a few really motivated him to try new foods.

I had previously shared my issue with Pop-tart getting upset over feeding time. He would only eat free range. Any time myself or tweezers would get near him he would turn dark, hiss, and lunge. Last night and today we had a break through.

I reduced the amount of crickets I was feeding him by just a few. Then I offered him a tasty snack. A meal worm in the tweezers. He took it like a champ. He got a little excited and bit the tweezers too, :confused: Today I tried again, but in my hand; on a leaf though cause I'm a chicken :p

He got real big, but instead of turning dark his colors were beautiful. I just wanted to share this accomplishment. He seems to have gotten over the tissue incident unscathed.

Hip hip hooray good for you and gorgeous pop tart.

Back
Top Bottom