We built our cage

Callie6547

We built our cage. Sides and top are aluminum mesh and the back walls against the wall are plexiglass. The door is real glass.

Attachments

• 4F233FFD-2BE7-461E-BFD0-4A6FBF88C959.jpeg
    4F233FFD-2BE7-461E-BFD0-4A6FBF88C959.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 129
I like the shape and how you built it to fit into the corner. I agree more plants and I would add more horizontal branches but also what type of lighting do you have for UVB? Is it just the double dome on top?

There are over 16 ft of reptile branches in the cage. The uvb is a 10.0 which is housed in the double fixture with the heat bulb.

I know that bar lights are recommended but with my cage being a corner design it was difficult to get one to fit right.

Sure but I have been told that this is exactly right by several others and it seems to be working just fine.
Ok so.... While this light can be effective for other species of reptiles that are in a shallow enclosure it is not effective for a Chameleon. Reasons are... The cham literally has to be sitting directly below the fixture within about 7 inches... The uvb light ends with these bulbs by 8 inches below them. What we see as light going down say 18 inches is not the uvb light it is just the visible light from the bulb. Having to be so close then puts the cham also at high risk for a thermal burn. Where the concern is.... chams can develop MBD when they do not have the proper UVB lighting.

So within the chameleon community what we recommend are T5HO fixtures with a 5.0 zoomed or 6% arcadia uvb bulb. Using these you then want your basking level (the highest point they can get to) to be 7-8 inches below. This provides the perfect about of UVB through out the top portion of your cage. Rather then one specific spot.

If you have a female the need for correct lighting is even more important due to egg laying.

Now I know you said you have 16 feet of vines... You want to focus some more of this in the top level of the cage. So that you have an open area of about 7 inches down from the screen and then many more spots and areas that can choose from between that top level and the bottom. Tiny zip ties work fantastic to secure them to your screen.

He is a male. I use zip ties. My bulb is rated for 9 inches which his basking areas meet.l at least three of the vines are located below the uvb light at 6-8 inches.

Attachments

• B53DC15A-A00A-451A-B5D2-B4D1605C4463.jpeg
    B53DC15A-A00A-451A-B5D2-B4D1605C4463.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 61
He doesn’t sit there all day..... in nature chameleons are in trees and out of direct light for parts of the day. They hide.
I'm aware.. but you're saying your UVB is fine because of where your basking branches are, but the only spot in your cage that is within the UVB is where your 2 vines meet. That is the ONLY spot in your cage where he will get any UVB at all. He should not be confined to that one spot for his health.
Plus you're right they do hide in trees, so they can feel safe. Yet your enclosure doesnt have anywhere for him to hide.

Also, you say you have 16 feet of vines in there, but most of it is placed in a way that is of little to no use to your chameleon. They need to be higher up and placed more horizontally for your chameleon to move comfortably.

And +1 to needing way more foliage in there. One more plant will not be enough. Your cham needs places to hide and there is really no where for it to do that currently

Back
Top Bottom