WC Nosy Falys = coccidia

I purchased 4 wild caught falys this year from different importers and all of them came in with Coccidia.
Let the battle begin!!!!:mad:

good luck with all that, sounds like you need some cbb..

Rob I think your right, For anyone wanting to work with Nosy Falys I highly suggest starting with proven captive bred bloodlines.

Of the animals infected, none of them showed any sighns of infection!

I hate coccidia. My Luie had it twice in a row a couple of years ago and he was the picture of health. That's what I try so hard to encouage members here to please get fecals. My very best to you and the Falys.

I have read that all rabbits carry coccidia but that it is never a problem unless the numbers of coccidia present are in extremely high numbers :eek: it really makes me wonder if it is around a lot more than most realize:confused:

I hate coccidia. My Luie had it twice in a row a couple of years ago and he was the picture of health. That's what I try so hard to encouage members here to please get fecals. My very best to you and the Falys.

How often should you get that done? I just got my baby from kammers last week and have been wondering about vet visits and what people do

Since you got cb I wouldnt worry as much as say someone that just bought a freshly imported wc cham. I would still do fecals 2x a yr though to be safe.

So where do these parasites come from on CB chams? Are we saying that they come from the bugs we feed them? And what if you only feed from your own colony's of bugs at what point do we feel confident we are not introducing parasites to our chams? In my case I am hatching supers, silks, mantis, and growing dubia's. I would think that if the hornworms you get from places like mulberry where coming with parasites they would go out of business fast.

So where do these parasites come from on CB chams? Are we saying that they come from the bugs we feed them? And what if you only feed from your own colony's of bugs at what point do we feel confident we are not introducing parasites to our chams? In my case I am hatching supers, silks, mantis, and growing dubia's. I would think that if the hornworms you get from places like mulberry where coming with parasites they would go out of business fast.

Rob, not sure if you saw this thread last week but you might find it interesting. Here's how my vet, Dr. Alfonso explained it to me. At the cricket farm a wild anole could poop where a cricket could get in it and if that poop had parasites and my cham ate a cricket that had been in that poop then my cham could get that parasite. Of course raising your own feeders would be much more safe. Also I have read on here that cociddia can grow in the soil that has been pooped on. I try really hard to change out the first fews inches of soil in all my plants often. Your cham could also eat a wild insect that had been in poop with parasites.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/coccidia-parasite-info-61183/

Rob, not sure if you saw this thread last week but you might find it interesting. Here's how my vet, Dr. Alfonso explained it to me. At the cricket farm a wild anole could poop where a cricket could get in it and if that poop had parasites and my cham ate a cricket that had been in that poop then my cham could get that parasite. Of course raising your own feeders would be much more safe. Also I have read on here that cociddia can grow in the soil that has been pooped on. I try really hard to change out the first fews inches of soil in all my plants often. Your cham could also eat a wild insect that had been in poop with parasites.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/coccidia-parasite-info-61183/

Thanks Jann....and you have just freaked me out:( I will have to call my vet and see if I can just drop off poop every once in a while:eek:

Rob, I don't want to freak anyone out but just make them aware that chams do get parasites all the time and if untreated they do kill your cham and we do see sick and dead chams on here all the time I'm sad to say.

Chamifornia, vets here around me charges around $50.00 for a good check up and around $15.00 for a fecal.

That's a bit too rare to be definitely sure a chameleon has no parasites. Think of some parasites which can't be found in each feces or just about the time parasites need from infection until appearing in feces.

I really dont know why you chose to quote me.:confused:

Dr Ivan Alfonso & my vet among others generally advise fecals every 6 months. I just stated that the cham in question wasnt wild caught and we all know wc's come in loaded with parasites. Its basically up to the owner how often they want to do fecals. But 6 mo intervals are a good avg for most hobbyists. If your a breeder or deal with wc's on a reg basis you'll have to perform them much more often.

Shameless plug: All our Nosy Faly came in with Coccidia. We used Reptaid to clean them out. SOme guys cleared up in 10 days. Two of them took 3 months (because they were floor drinkers who kept re-infecting themselves before Chuck G told us how to overcome that. We wouldn't get to the cages in time to clean up the poop and sanitize before these guys licked the bottom of their cage. Chuck said remove the white plastic cage bottom. Leave the cage and plant resting on the open stainless grill. I thought 3 things: #1- DUH!, #2- Chuck is a genious, and #3- I am an idiot!).

Pardon the shameless plug, but it really works. We were able to do fecal exams and could watch the coccidia count diminish day by day until they were clean and stayed clean. Those that we did not immediately put on Reptaid kept high coccidia counts until their Reptaid regimen started. It cleans up other parasites too, but the Reptaid was first developed to specifically target coccidia because it was such a difficult parastie to kill without risking the chameleon's health.

I have read that all rabbits carry coccidia but that it is never a problem unless the numbers of coccidia present are in extremely high numbers :eek: it really makes me wonder if it is around a lot more than most realize:confused:

Another note- our most experienced Reptile vet has told us that it is "normal" to find coccidia in chameleon fecals and a low count is not a concern. But we prefer to keep a zero tolerance here.

I wonder if Coccidia is like E-coli. All humans have E-coli naturally, but a fewer rarer strains cause serious illness/death.

Last edited:
Shameless plug: All our Nosy Faly came in with Coccidia. We used Reptaid to clean them out. SOme guys cleared up in 10 days. Two of them took 3 months (because they were floor drinkers who kept re-infecting themselves before Chuck G told us how to overcome that. We wouldn't get to the cages in time to clean up the poop and sanitize before these guys licked the bottom of their cage. Chuck said remove the white plastic cage bottom. Leave the cage and plant resting on the open stainless grill. I thought 3 things: #1- DUH!, #2- Chuck is a genious, and #3- I am an idiot!).

Pardon the shameless plug, but it really works. We were able to do fecal exams and could watch the coccidia count diminish day by day until they were clean and stayed clean. Those that we did not immediately put on Reptaid kept high coccidia counts until their Reptaid regimen started. It cleans up other parasites too, but the Reptaid was first developed to specifically target coccidia because it was such a difficult parastie to kill without risking the chameleon's health.

Another note- our most experienced Reptile vet has told us that it is "normal" to find coccidia in chameleon fecals and a low count is not a concern. But we prefer to keep a zero tolerance here.

I wonder if Coccidia is like E-coli. All humans have E-coli naturally, but a fewer rarer strains cause serious illness/death.

I found this http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/coccidia.html and thought of reptaid...... hey this is made by the same company.:rolleyes:
I have decided to forgo the herbs and drum circles and get real drugs so I don't have to fight this infection for months and months.

Back
Top Bottom