Wc Cham already digging?

Fireborn

Avid Member
My panthers just came in today and after having her in her set up for a few hours she immediately started digging. Will she be ok? I feel so bad she was shipped gravid

Hopefully she will...if you've provided a proper lay box. Don't let her see you watching her when she's digging.
Describe the container she's digging in.

If she shows lethargy, sits low in the cage, keeps her eyes shut, etc then it could mean she's eggbound and needs help ASAP.

Ok. Lucky for me I made sure I was prepared for her to lay. I got a big deep pot 16x16 filled with moist sand. When I noticed she was digging I made sure I was out of site. She's actively digging and hasn't stopped so far. Nothing can access the room. I only checked in after work to see how they were doing.

When I turned the lights off last night she was still digging. This morning she was on the perch at the top when I turned them on and everything in the bin was re buried. She seemed very alert and still very thirsty. Hopefully she finished but I'm not checking until I'm sure she's done digging. I have a veiled who has been digging for days before she lays so I'm assuming it can happen with panthers.

That's interesting. If so then she must not be as scared today. She's been up basking every time I peaked in the room.

So after her not having any interest in the bin I dug it up and found 16 eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    541.9 KB · Views: 46
Thanks! I'm hoping she recovers nicely. She sure is dehydrated.

She needs a lot of care--she is nowhere near out of trouble. Most females in her situation end up dying. If she were in my care, I would run the misters all day. She won't likely eat if she is dehydrated, but after running the misters try to get her to eat something. As as wild caught, she likely does not need as much calcium as a captive raised female. The most important thing you can do for her is run the misters for hours and hours. She needs 100% humidity. Good luck.

Thanks for advice. I will increase my misting. She has eaten but not as much as the male. So eating is a good sign?

Yes, eating is a good sign but she should be ravenous. She might take a long time to recover. Give her lots of cover and just keep the misters running. She will be better able to rehydrate herself with 100% humidity. I would keep the cage wet for a few days until she is bright and eating a lot. Watch her (without bothering her) and you will know what I mean. She'll get brighter and perk up. She was dehydrated during the import process and gravid females have a tendency to die. Whatever you do, don't stress her at all. Don't handle her and give her a cage where she can disappear from view in. She is really delicate right now.

Unfortunately she didn't make it. When I found her body she had worms coming out of her mouth. I think with all the stress the parasites became to much for her little body.

I am so sorry for your loss sweetie, sadly it happens all too easily with WC imports, especially if they are gravid and so close to laying from the sounds of it. The stress and laying process... it likely just cause everything to become too much. Take care of those eggs well, hopefully they will hatch for you and you will have some of her bloodline. Poor babe, may she rest in the forest in the sky until she is reborn and returned to the forest below.

Back
Top Bottom