Wax Worms

TreelionsUK

I don't know why people buy these any more:D
They are SO easy to breed.all i use is bee pollen and thats it...put a thick layer of pollen down in your jar,chuck a few pairs of moths in,use some fine fabric with a rubber band over the top and your away!!! after a while around 2 months you will have loads the the pollen combined with the silk from the wax worms makes kind of a cake! if you pull it apart its packed with loads of waxies
1000's of waxies for free!!!

wax1.jpg

Wax2.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice culture. I have never cultured with just bee pollen, but intend to try. After a while, usually 3 generations or so, my cultures kind of.. peter on out... and then I buy new ones and start over. I will give the bee pollen a try. You don't use anything but?

Heika

Nope all i use is pollen,the heat the culture gives off is amazing!!:)
i find they dont get really fat on just the pollen so i break the culture up and feed with honey,oats,and pollen and add some calcium too

Interesting! A lot easier than dealing with the usual ingredients. I will give that a try. Do you crush your pollen or just leave it in its beads (not sure how you buy it)?

Thanks for the tip ;)

That's awesome, none of the pet stores around here carry waxworms, I bet if I could get some decent numbers going with your method I could sell some to the pet shops cause all they ever have is crickets and sometimes mealworms.

what kind of moths do you put in the jar? just plain old moths you catch around the lights at night?

Well they need to be waxmoths.
The best way to get them is to have waxworms that pupate
and hatch.

-Brad

What am I missing? I'm happily growing my third and fourth generations of silkworms and mealworms but of the 200 wax worms I ordered (along with their honied bedding), most have died and turned black. At what temp do you keep them to get them to pupate?

Last edited:
That's awesome, none of the pet stores around here carry waxworms, I bet if I could get some decent numbers going with your method I could sell some to the pet shops cause all they ever have is crickets and sometimes mealworms.

what kind of moths do you put in the jar? just plain old moths you catch around the lights at night?

You might go to a bait shop and see if they have waxworms. There are some old school fishermen that still use them.

The walmart where i live carries waxworms in the sports section buy the fishing stuff.. try somewhere like that.

Back
Top Bottom