Wax worms

PoseidonTheChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I wanted to try wax worms for Poseidon since they're fatty and he needs to get fat lol. I need to know how long they live because online, it says a few weeks but I wanted someone with personal experience to answer, also how big are they? Thanks

You can keep them in the fridge and they’ll live a few weeks. They are usually just slightly larger than bsfl.
How easy would you say it would be to chew and digest? Hes small right now for his age so I dont want to buy these worms and they be too big for him. I've never had wax worms

Superworms can be gotten in various sizes. I started my cham on small, and now that he's 6 mo.+ I've got some mediums. Don't know if I'll move up to large. 🤷‍♂️

Supers can last a few months—as long as they're not left alone, they won't pupate. If these get too big, I've got a beardie who thinks they're candy. :)

Hi generally mine are 1/2 inch roughly shouldn't be a problem ( waxworms) but silkworms
Are probably more nutritional. Or just go for a combo if you are looking to put weight on but not total fat

Hi generally mine are 1/2 inch roughly shouldn't be a problem ( waxworms) but silkworms
Are probably more nutritional. Or just go for a combo if you are looking to put weight on but not total fat
Are silkworms around the same size? I thought they were fatter, how fast do they grow?

¼ size crickets and I was feeding ¼ size black soldier larvae too but he didnt care for them.
So if you get small silkworms, they should be ok. They are usually quite tiny. I just took a quick peek at a few silkworm places though, and all are currently sold out. :( Some extra small roaches also would be a great addition. If you’re near space coast Florida, I currently have an over abundance of baby silks and roaches I’d love to part with.

So if you get small silkworms, they should be ok. They are usually quite tiny. I just took a quick peek at a few silkworm places though, and all are currently sold out. :( Some extra small roaches also would be a great addition. If you’re near space coast Florida, I currently have an over abundance of baby silks and roaches I’d love to part with.
I am in Ocala, not sure where space coast is🤔. I might try silk worms, maybe some fatty worms will do some good.

Chameleon store fat in completely different way than we do. Its not on internal organs or under skin for insulation. Instead in two abdominal fat bodies under the rib cage and show minimal fat on the exterior. Giving overly fattening diet can cause pressure on lungs & internal organs a healthy balanced diet would be better with good gutload and a supplement regime that's matched to your uvb lighting

Chameleon store fat in completely different way than we do. Its not on internal organs or under skin for insulation. Instead in two abdominal fat bodies under the rib cage and show minimal fat on the exterior. Giving overly fattening diet can cause pressure on lungs & internal organs a healthy balanced diet would be better with good gutload and a supplement regime that's matched to your uvb lighting
Well it was more of a joke.but I get your point. I have an almost 8 month old male that is the size of a 4 month baby so I'm trying everything I can think of.

I am in Ocala, not sure where space coast is🤔. I might try silk worms, maybe some fatty worms will do some good.
I’m about 125 miles southeast of Ocala...that’s a long drive for some silkies & roaches. Lol You could try http://www.lindasgonebuggie.com/ Looks like she has some silkies in stock & I think she’s located in the panhandle, so shipping should be quick.

Needed to ask a question real quick, I know wax worms can climb metal and glass(?)

I need to know if they will climb my plastic vinegar bottle feeder cup. I can't hand feed yet so I have to cup feed them.

Needed to ask a question real quick, I know wax worms can climb metal and glass(?)

I need to know if they will climb my plastic vinegar bottle feeder cup. I can't hand feed yet so I have to cup feed them.
mine never last long enough in a cup to worry about escapes and even if they do they are not like superworms that can chew their way out of stuff and into stuff.

mine never last long enough in a cup to worry about escapes and even if they do they are not like superworms that can chew their way out of stuff and into stuff.
Actually, the little buggers can chew thru plastic. I tried to start breeding my own and had them in a cricket keeper kept inside of a plastic bin with a gasket. They escaped the keeper and chewed up the gasket of the larger bin. Yea...not gonna try breeding those again.

Back
Top Bottom