Wax Worms

Yougsta25

I just bought some wax worms and was wondering how many to give my 6 month old Veiled "Jalapenio"? I was also was wondering if they were better in the morning or in the evening?:confused:
oh and i think i read somwhare that they were more of treats because of there high fat contents so :confused:

You are correct!

Wax worms are great little treats- only dole them out once or twice a week- too many can spoil your cham, make him obese and put him on a wax worm only hunger strike. They are very fatty but apparently are delicious.

You are correct!

Wax worms are great little treats- only dole them out once or twice a week- too many can spoil your cham, make him obese and put him on a wax worm only hunger strike. They are very fatty but apparently are delicious.

Score!:D
so like one in between meals or like 4(not sure about this amount) as a meal? (once a week)

I give wax worms to my chameleons and bearded dragons just once in awhile as a treat b/c yes they are high in fat content. However, they do love them. Don't give them as a meal but every so often just a little treat and they'll love them! :)

If you give them more than occasionally then you are really risking your cham refusing all other feeders and going on a hunger strike.

I had to deal with this....unfortunately I over fed wax worms and had a dickens of a time getting my chams to eat other feeders. It took a good month to get them back into regular feeders (crix, roaches and silkies) and many hunger strikes.

I love seeing my chams eating well and thriving and waxworms are not part of the nutritional equation....they are like candy and treat them like such unless like sandrachameleon states and they need the extra energy :)

My cham likes them fine (the geckos love them), but when I tried an informal feeding experiment last year (offering one or more of each insect I had on hand to see what was preferred), the waxworm did not even get picked up, but lost out to more wiggly insects, even a particularly wiggly mealworm.
For a genuine treat, my guy will always vote for the superworm.

extra energy meaning like for free range or wat?
Growing, recovery after illness and weight loss, gravid female in poor/too thin condition, if you had a picky eater that you need to coax into eating a bug injected with medicine....

In all these examples you still (i think) are better to have more protein than fat or at least balance fat to protein.

Back
Top Bottom