Wax Worm Feeding

Weebo

Avid Member
How do you guys feed waxworms? I have a 2 month old male and I don't even think he notices them. The waxworms do not move at all idk why. And yes I know waxworms are just fat and no nutrition. Just wanted him to try something different as a treat

This is only the second time I bought them. I just got them home. The first time I kept them in the mid 50 degree. The things never moved

They do best above 50 degrees, around 58 should be the lowest degree you keep them, and when you keep them lower allow for 18 hours of room temp to wake up. They die relatively faster though in temps below 55 for sure, but they will transform into moths if kept at room temp all the time (which when you keep chameleons is only a plus XD)

The waxworms you buy are treated with UV light to keep em as a worm longer. Because of that they won't move as much either.

If you raise your own you can see they are actually pretty mobile and fast too. My panther goes crazy for em.

I did not know wax worms were treated with UV... like the radiation kind that butter worms are treated with? I think butter worms get a heavier dose though because they don't transform at all.

I did not know wax worms were treated with UV... like the radiation kind that butter worms are treated with? I think butter worms get a heavier dose though because they don't transform at all.
Well at least here they are... I started to breed my own and the waxworms are a lot more mobile, just sucks it's hard to keep the moths in, they are fast too.

How do they turn into moths? The last 50 I bought all just turned black within 3 weeks and died in their cup

If they are room temp they should turn brown and then hatch into moths. It's how I keep mine.

I had the same problem, pet store waxworms suck, hardly moved at all in room temp. Finally ordered some and they are much higher quality. Very active constantly moving around, they are like big creamy twinkies that crawl.

Not to hijack, but i have wayyyy more waxworms than i can feed off in a reasonable time, would you guys recommend keeping them in a fridge or just room temp?(house gets 70-80 during summer)

Haha I can relate a little, my girlfriend who lives with me wanted to kill me for finding the cats with a cricket. And when she found out what was actually living in those bins i hide in a heated closet.

She's pretty tolerable of it all as long as it doesn't escape. i keep all the worms and bugstuff in a minifridge i got pretty cheap.

That's odd, I never have that big of a problem with my waxxies o_O and I am not even breeding mine yet.

My partner is very forgiving with livefoods escapees- he's now quite used to a locust falling on him whilst watching TV and calmly says 'one of yours I believe' :ROFLMAO:o_O also puts up with maggots, casters and defrosting mice in the fridge too. Yum!
I must say the waxworks I buy are always quite mobile and even if they are not the chams still recognise them and go nuts for them, I do want to raise my own, would like to see the difference for the animals and like the fact I know how they've been raised. I always keep some to pupate as the moths are a firm favourite esp. with the day geckos.

My mom is so chill about escapees too. At the moment since I am trying to get Ryker to eat more on good days, sometimes roaches will eascape his cup and then escape his cage. She will tell me the next day of finding an older nymph wandering the house and that she put him back in the bin XD

She certainly is a very chilled mom (y)(y)
on the waxworm theme I just ordered ( the smallest batch available) 2500 mini waxworms to grow, Remkon seemed somewhat shocked I had got so many! :LOL:
I can't think why:ROFLMAO::D
Remko have your moths actually started producing offspring, I'm wondering if they have been uv treated even as mini worms will the moths be able to breed?

Back
Top Bottom