watering

bg7mm

new to chameleons but we're learning slowly. did some research before we got started and everywhere I read it said chams will not drink from bowls so we use the misting technique. they actively drink water off the leaves and screen. I watch them closely and a thought hit me after watching our jacksons licking moisture off the leaves. I quickly pulled an artificial leaf from their inclosure and ran into my shop. laying the leaf inverted over a light bulb I used hot glue under the leaf to shape it into a bowl. once cooled the leaf became a bowl. I then returned the leaf to their cages. it's an artificial plant with wire in the leaves and branches so they stay in shape. I wired the leaf to a branch so it looked as natural as possible and added a bit of water. within minutes the female was drinking from the leaf/bowl. it works. the other cages for our veiled and flapnecks will get their leafbowls tonight. just a note incase anyone wants to try this trick

You'll still need to keep the leave-bowl clean of course. I taught one of my chams to lick water out of my cupped hand by first holding a large soaked silk leaf up to his nose while he was busy drinking. After he started licking the leaf I substituted my hand for the leaf...soon he just licked me in stead. Eventually all I had to do was spray the cage, get him drinking, then offer my hand with water on it. It became our little daily routine.

Back
Top Bottom