Watering scheduele with a dripper

Allen Whitaker

So i plan on using a dripping water method, as apposed to the waterfall i purchased, to administer the daily watering. My question is how much water do i give and how many times a day. The jug that i am using can hold alot but i am curious about how much water to give per drip session with a drip rate of 1 drop per second.

So i plan on using a dripping water method, as apposed to the waterfall i purchased, to administer the daily watering. My question is how much water do i give and how many times a day. The jug that i am using can hold alot but i am curious about how much water to give per drip session with a drip rate of 1 drop per second.

Good choice to ditch the waterfall.

I'd suggest a faster drip rate than 1 drip per second.
I use about three or four cups of water in my drippers, dripping for something like 10 minutes, twice a day.

Edit: in addition to misting

Last edited:
Hey Allen-I would still mist 2X daily. I don't drip at all-and some chams could care less about it. A good cage soaking misting with a pump up style spray bottle 3X daily works great!

You should still hand mist with a dripper. A dripper can run all day, just besure you have drainage. Or have he dripping drop into a bowl, but cover the bowl with screen so your cham can't fall in.

You should still hand mist with a dripper. A dripper can run all day, just besure you have drainage. Or have he dripping drop into a bowl, but cover the bowl with screen so your cham can't fall in.

Not necessary to cover with screen unless it is a very small chameleon. So long as the adult chameleon can reach the edge and crawl out, unlikely to matter if he/she crawls in or falls into a water container. I remove and empty the containers that catch my dripp water usually shortly after the dripping stops, but sometimes I forget or get busy. I've left full water containers in there for hours and have come back to find chameleons walking along the edge with a tail in the water, totally nonchalant.

I just learned today chameleons are capable of swiming (check out the thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/chameleon-eats-fish-17303/)

In the past I have set up a drip system to run all day with about 1 drip every 2 to 3 sec. But I also supplemented with additional misting at least 2 to 3 x per day...

Hope that helps

OPI

I have a small dripper it holds about 2 cups of water. I fill it up everytime I mist which it 2 to 3 times a day. Jann

Not necessary to cover with screen unless it is a very small chameleon. So long as the adult chameleon can reach the edge and crawl out, unlikely to matter if he/she crawls in or falls into a water container. I remove and empty the containers that catch my dripp water usually shortly after the dripping stops, but sometimes I forget or get busy. I've left full water containers in there for hours and have come back to find chameleons walking along the edge with a tail in the water, totally nonchalant.

I just learned today chameleons are capable of swiming (check out the thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/chameleon-eats-fish-17303/)

There is nothing wrong with being a little cautious. Sure adults who have been around water can swim, would you throw a 2 month old into the pond?

There is nothing wrong with being a little cautious. Sure adults who have been around water can swim, would you throw a 2 month old into the pond?

Im sure I said there was no need (IMHO) with ADULTs, didnt I? Obviously caution should be taken with babies and small chameleons.
But you're right, no reason not to be cautious.

Last edited:
thank you

Im going to go ahead and drip i think, just to make sure that the water is available if he wants it. Thank you guys for the quick responses,...don't know what i would do without this site.

How do you have the dripper go onto the plant and then into a bowl? Could anyone post pics of how this works?

How do you have the dripper go onto the plant and then into a bowl? Could anyone post pics of how this works?

I do not have pictures of anything I have done, i've never done this. I have seen keepers on the forum use a fake plant that hangs from the top of the cage and the dripper is placed above the plant. what water flows down the plant and then into a bowl.

The new cage i built has plastic tub for bottom with drainage. I let my little dripper go 24-7, at about 1.5 drops per second. that uses the entire capacity so i have to refill every day. there is a pic posted but i dont know if you can see bottom. The plastic tub also slides out for easy cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom