Water

Purified vs distilled? I don’t have a RO system and I really don’t like conditioner if I can avoid so to add to my five gallon bucket hooked to my mistking should I use purified water or distilled? Thank you guys

Purified vs distilled? I don’t have a RO system and I really don’t like conditioner if I can avoid so to add to my five gallon bucket hooked to my mistking should I use purified water or distilled? Thank you guys
Purified if you MUST. RO is still good. Do not use Distilled.
I use straight tap water and in about 14 months, my tips are all still spraying just fine.
However, all tap water is not created equally!

What's "purified" mean?
And what kind of conditioner—killing bugs or water softener? I'm not sure either is appropriate. 🤷‍♂️

From the MistKing manual, page 39:
Use only Reverse Osmosis or de-mineralized water.
Using tap water or water filtered though a small kitchen
filter will still have minerals present which will eventually
distort the misting pattern or clog the super fine nozzle
opening.
And from page 45:
12. Which water to use?
We always recommend using de-mineralised water for use in our systems. Reverse​
Osmosis (RO) is ideal and is commonly used and sold as filtered drinking water. Using​
tap, well, spring, or water treated by pitcher or faucet filters won't prevent the minerals​
from depositing in the nozzles, and aside from improving the taste, do nothing else.​

I use distilled because it's available everywhere, and I'd spend more on mileage to get RO than I'd save.

What's "purified" mean?
And what kind of conditioner—killing bugs or water softener? I'm not sure either is appropriate. 🤷‍♂️

From the MistKing manual, page 39:

And from page 45:

I use distilled because it's available everywhere, and I'd spend more on mileage to get RO than I'd save.
I’m gonna use the (what I thought useless) knowledge that I gained from science class here for a sec. don’t let them drink distilled bc there isn’t any salt in it and it is a hyper tonic solution( I think so, I get hyper and hypo mixed up). This will cause cells to burst bc water moves from an area of high concentration to low( inside the cell is low concentration)That means that water will rush into the cells and cause them to burst. Now idk what this is called in the animal/ health world but it ain’t good.
If I’m wrong then so be it, it is what it is

I'm reasonably sure you're mistaken, and I've never heard of that. I drink distilled water at times—no problem. I've been misting with it for several months now, and my chameleon hasn't ex—or im—ploded. Urates & feces are normal & healthy—no blood.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. I drink distilled water at times—no problem. I've been misting with it for several months now, and my chameleon hasn't ex—or im—ploded. Urates & feces are normal & healthy—no blood.
Interesting, maybe it takes longer to happen, like years maybe? Or like my teacher is wrong once again( she’s wrong a lot, she said that Hinduism was where they worship cows, and that moss she found was a lichen, etc.) idk, I’ll figure it out

You're talking about osmoregulation—regulating osmotic balance.

If what you (or your teacher) said above were true, peoples' cells would also explode/implode after eating salty foods.

Distilled water i only use this to save my mister and fogger. And just put tap water in my dripper. Now depending on water my girl drinks /gets hydrated from ,( I would think that she losing from one source and getting stuff she doesn't need from the other. So it depends on your question saving your equipment or whats best for your cham or both. In the beginning I have thought about the equipment but surely. Distilled or ro would be removing essential stuff for the cham ?

Distilled or ro would be removing essential stuff for the cham ?
You mean like calcium salts that we supplement with every day? This has come up before. With nutrients in gut-loaded feeders, and vitamin supplements twice a month, they're getting what they need to be healthy.

Well would they not drink more than they require if supplements where incorrect?
They might if over-supplemented with salts, but in that case, I would think water without salts should help re-balance the system easier.

8675309, is it possible that teacher was breakin' your... putting you on? I had a lot of teachers who'd try that if they thought a student was gullible (not saying you are—just wondering if the teacher might have been that type) or just for 💩s & :Ds.

They might if over-supplemented with salts, but in that case, I would think water without salts should help re-balance the system easier.

8675309, is it possible that teacher was breakin' your... putting you on? I had a lot of teachers who'd try that if they thought a student was gullible (not saying you are—just wondering if the teacher might have been that type) or just for 💩s & :Ds.
Wdym, like giving us incorrect information for the fun of it?

More like pulling your leg, and see if you'd believe it, maybe.
I've also had teachers who'd say something so outrageous it would motivate students to look it up, and thereby learn something in the process. E.g. "Picking your nose can cause brain damage."

More like pulling your leg, and see if you'd believe it, maybe.
I've also had teachers who'd say something so outrageous it would motivate students to look it up, and thereby learn something in the process. E.g. "Picking your nose can cause brain damage."
Ah that’s interesting

We all make mistakes. :oops:

Consider the common sense aspect; in some parts of the world, peoples' main/only source of drinking water is solar stills that extract water from the air. Solar stills are also a survival technique. A solar still is (no pun intended) still a still, and the water produced is still distilled. 🤓

It is my understanding that distilled water is safe to use once pushed through a misting system as it will pick up some ions as it is dispersed in the air. I would not use it in a dripper or other direct drinking method. For those I use RO drinking water from the store.
I believe @nightanole ??? maybe able to explain this better

Back
Top Bottom