Water

I'm using distilled water in my Mist-King system due to my hard water conditions, however; it depends on your local water Tx an what they put into it. I know that if I use my tap water, I will have clogged spay heads within the month. :eek:

I use water filtered by fridge or let it sit in an open jug for 24hrs in the dark. Lets the chlorine evaporate. You can use bottled spring water or RO water, also. I generally take some tap water and do a 'pet store' water test on it (ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, etc...) just for a reference point and go from there. But generally, tap water is safe, if you let the chlorine evaporate. If you have a misting system, you should use RO or distilled water to prevent buildups in the system.

Last edited:
I use regular tap for over 5 yrs and no problems. I suppose it depends on where you live and how they treat your water.

I use water filtered by fridge or let it sit in an open jug for 24hrs in the dark. Lets the chlorine evaporate.

Unfortunately most public systems now use chloramine instead of straight chlorine. Chloramine does not evaporate and remains in the water for long periods. If you've been using it with no problems then it may be OK to feed chameleons. Its very harmful to fish because their gills and eyes are exposed to it. The Skin and GI tract of a reptile is tougher.

Yea ours isn't bad i meant fridge water not tap sorry but yea it's just that distilled water is very expensive and the water from my fridge or sink is much cleaner I would much prefer to use that I have a dechlorinator I used for my tree frog and use for my fish that I Could add to the fridge water

Yea ours isn't bad i meant fridge water not tap sorry but yea it's just that distilled water is very expensive and the water from my fridge or sink is much cleaner I would much prefer to use that I have a dechlorinator I used for my tree frog and use for my fish that I Could add to the fridge water

To get good water cheap, it is best to acquire some 5g jugs. Refill at Walmart or a local mom & pop pet store. You can get it for like $.25-30 a gal at some places.

Okay will the dechlorinated fridge water work though I'll get the distilled water for shure but I'd like to have a back up for vacations and stuf so that I'm not asking my friend to run to Walmart if he runs out

I have used my fridge water for years. Just make sure to let it adjust to room temp first. I refill everything the night before, that way it is ready at 7am when lights come on. I also, have several 2L filled with water in case I need it. You just don't want it cold. Your cham will be very MAD! :) (stayed tuned for my partying comparision of UVA vs VA Tech...... :D)

yes I can't stand tech so id love to hear it
You must keep in mind most happened from '87-'91. I was @ UVA, Tech, UR, VCU, Radford, UNC, UNCW, Atlantic Christian, ECU, W&M, Chowan, Maryland, etc... Good time at all. But UVA, Tech, Radford, and UNCW had my heart. Radford for the ladies and UNCW for the 10-1 girl to guy ratio and 5 surfable beaches. (I ended up at UNCW in case anyone cares.) Richmond had too many beggars and tranny hookers. We once had to physically drag a friend away from one. Guess which? :eek: Swore the next day, no memory of it. Knowing GWAR made up for that. Their little warehouse & The Floodzone...:D The parties at Tech and Hoos were the insanest. TKE frat @ Tech was by the far, the craziest, not even in the movies stuff. But, overall good time, probably UVA and UNCW ($.25 drafts @ The Monk) *****

hahaha wow that's sweet

Some hard years, back when not everything could be caught on camera, and one could have fun. Takes me back. I had a lot of memories return while thinking about it, some good, some embarrassing. All in all, a GREAT high school and college experience. It made Animal House seem like a Disney movie. :eek:

Dechlorinator products made for fish or aquariums aren't safe for reptiles... They have extra stuff added to build up the slime coat in the tank. Not sure about products made for tree frogs because I don't have any.

I order ReptiSafe on amazon. It's like $8 for an 8 oz bottle that lasts forever, even with 3 chams, a sulcata, a pacman and 8 ball pythons.

Okay yea I may actually have the same stuff I have to check I had one bottle for my frog and one for my fish and never check to see if they were the same or different I feel aweful

Unless your particular fridge user guide states that it filters the water in some way, the water you get from it isn't any different from water straight from the tap. It's plumbed right into the house's general water line. Find out...call your water utility and find out what they treat it with, and what they add to it (fluorine, etc). Only then can you decide what to treat it with.

Back
Top Bottom