Water types: Tap, Spring, or distilled, which is the best for the animal?

mjhandy

I've read a lot about which type of water to use in a MistKing. Some people can use tap, but that really depends on the quality of your water. We use a water softener, so i'm not 100% if I'll go that route. We're getting the pieces to set up our first system.

Regardless of how the water type will affect the mister, which one is the best of the animal? Tap would be cheaper, but i have no concerns with drawing water from a water cooler jug if need be.

Tap will mess up your mist king. There's a lot of stuff about this if you search the forums. I use brita filtered water for. My hand mistings and distilled/rodi for equipment.

The hard tap water is a concern. But the lack of minerals in distilled may not be the best for the animal. I can get spring water easy, there's no shortage here, unless Nestle grabs it all :)

Considering that in the wild they drink rain water and dew off of the leaves they probably don't get any minerals from their water. Distilled is as close to that as you are going to get.

Yeah i've heard there water is very pure and unlikely to have minerals we have in our water. I don't know for sure though i'd have to look it up. Also with proper supplementing, feeding, gutloading they should be getting everything they need.

Yeah i've heard there water is very pure and unlikely to have minerals we have in our water. I don't know for sure though i'd have to look it up. Also with proper supplementing, feeding, gutloading they should be getting everything they need.
Well when you look for studies regarding whats best for the animal
(https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=reptiles+distilled+water&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,39)
no actual studies regarding longer life has actually ever happened.

So it's be harder to determine what it was, since I use tap, I'll compare my chameleon's life to others, and we'll see what happens.

Well when you look for studies regarding whats best for the animal
(https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=reptiles+distilled+water&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,39)
no actual studies regarding longer life has actually ever happened.

So it's be harder to determine what it was, since I use tap, I'll compare my chameleon's life to others, and we'll see what happens.

That's why i said i don't know for sure. There are plenty of people with long-lived, healthy chams out there using distilled. The point is, use what works for you. Personally i like brita filtered tap.

Back
Top Bottom