Water Question/Issue

RachelRiot

My cham only wants to drink water from the bottom of the enclosure. When I say bottom it is not the floor but a big flat snake soaking dish that I put at the bottom to catch the water from her dripper.

I have occasionally seen her drink from the leaves or when I am misting but she usually drinks from the bottom. I am really on top of this and I am constantly emptying and washing the dish at the bottom but I thought chams wouldn't drink standing water.

She will drink from the dish even if the dripper is not running creating a splashing into the dish. :confused:

Is this bad? I am afraid I might miss some poop or something and she will drink out of the dish with it in it.

Should I take this dish out?

I thought I would add that she eats her crix out of a bowl too. When I got her that is how she was being fed (she had no dripper at the time they just misted her) so I continued with how they did it.

I do occasionally let some crix loose for her to chase. She seems to enjoy it.

As I was typing this I thought I should go check on her cause I didnt see her poop this morning and of course she was drinking water out of the dish with poop in it! UGH!

I dont want her to get sick and I know that can not be healthy in any way.

Well, if that is the only way she drinks and having that dish is a must, I would jut make sure you clean that dish frequently and make sure the water on it is fresh. By changing the water everyday, drinking it won't harm her, change more frequently if you see it's needed. (like if she pooed on it)

I would have to disagree. The potential for illness is too high. You already stated that your cham will drink from leaves. If the dish isn't available your cham will move to the next available source

My recommendation would be to remove it.

HOpe that helps.

OPI

I would have to disagree. The potential for illness is too high. You already stated that your cham will drink from leaves. If the dish isn't available your cham will move to the next available source

My recommendation would be to remove it.

HOpe that helps.

OPI

agreed....

i have the exact same problem. where will i catch the water??? on the paper towel? the dripper runs 24/7, because its slow, but constant. one fill has lasted weeks (and its still going now. i mist her, she drinks from leaves, and from where the dripper drips.

Perhaps you should just add on some screening over the top of the catch container to keep your chameleon out of the dish.

You could have your dripper run directly into your plant rather than into a catch bowl. I would have to agree that if you don't do something to cover up the water, you will need to remove the bowl. She will get the hang of drinking off of the leaves.

You could have your dripper run directly into your plant rather than into a catch bowl. I would have to agree that if you don't do something to cover up the water, you will need to remove the bowl. She will get the hang of drinking off of the leaves.

stole my line ... Yup you could get plant and let the drips go in to the plant..

OPI

Instead of a 24/7 drip, perhaps you could just drip heavily during the morning and evening (at least this is when mine tend to be thirsty). You could also put a screen over your water catching dish, such that your chameleon CANT drink from the bowel. You'd have to watch carefully to ensure it does switch to drinking from the dripper or spray/misting. Make sure the dripper is in a place she can easily get at the water.

My dripper is definitely in an easily accessible area of her enclosure. I wash the dish 3 or 4 times a day because I am so scared. Me and my husband are going to Home Depot today to get her a ficus (it will be the only live plant in there right now so it is needed either way). Hopefully she will drink from the leaves.

Back
Top Bottom